Michael Johnson - Jones of Warren Central 189

gazoni

Obviously gazoni can not read very well because i said that MJJ was not the best wrestler technically. There is nothing about that comment that is meant to offend him or anyone else. I believe that he was not the best wrestler but that he performed the best. And there is no point in throwing out the fact that he threw Sliga on his back and pinned him, because Atwood also pinned MJJ earlier on in the year. And throwing someone on their back does not mean that you have better techniques. The best wrestler does not win the wrestler who wrestles the best wins!

It does mean Jones' throwing technique if better than Sliga's throwing defense technique.

First off I want to start by making it clear that I am taking nothing away from Michael Johnson-Jones' accomplishment.  Congratulations to him on having the best State tournament of any of the 189s.  The question of who is a better wrestler between him and Atwood is up for debate.  But the answer to who had the better Saturday at State is clearly Johnson-Jones.  The State champ isn't always the best kid in the weight class, although it often is, but it is always the competitor who has the best Saturday at State.

I agree with hammer the best wrestler doesn't  win the wrestler who wrestle the best wins.  And it does not necessarily mean that MJJ has better throwing technique than Sliga has Throwing defense. There is such a thing as getting caught in something or the best wrestler not always winning look at what happened to Metcalf last year. He was the better wrestler but he was man-handled. And I am not taking anything away from MJJ he wrestled like a Champ and at the end of the day he was, but things such as strength and athleticism come into play and I was strictly referring to technique.

Johnson - Jones was the best wrestler at the tournament (189).  He threw Sliga last week and stuck him early in the second period at Semi-State.  He beat Atwood in the finals under the lights. hhhmmmm enough said.  Got to love the Tiger.  By the way go to this link to see some good pics.

http://www.indystar.com/johnson

Look under IHSAA state wrestling finals

WHO THE HECK IS SEAN McMURPHY?????????  ;D    ;D    ;D

Gotta love those newspaper guys.

(Scroll through all of the pictures.)

And I am not taking anything away from MJJ he wrestled like a Champ and at the end of the day he was, but things such as strength and athleticism come into play and I was strictly referring to technique.

Good-thing MJJ was entered in the wrestling tournament and not the technique tournament.

He walked in and TOOK that tourney. It was fun watching him. Your only as good as your

last match.

Atwood and Sliga are both very good, congratulation's all three.

I agree with hammer the best wrestler doesn't  win the wrestler who wrestle the best wins.  And it does not necessarily mean that MJJ has better throwing technique than Sliga has Throwing defense. There is such a thing as getting caught in something or the best wrestler not always winning look at what happened to Metcalf last year. He was the better wrestler but he was man-handled. And I am not taking anything away from MJJ he wrestled like a Champ and at the end of the day he was, but things such as strength and athleticism come into play and I was strictly referring to technique.

Getting caught means your throws defense was bad when you got "caught". 

Calling Metcalf a better wrestler than Caldwell at this point is laughable.  He throttled Metcalf on the big stage at NCAA and then beat 2008 Olympian Doug Schwab in freestyle a few months later. 

You are taking away from MJJ's victory by attributing his win over Sliga as a fluke.  "He got caught"

Furthermore by attributing his victory over Atwood on "strength and athleticism" takes away from MJJ's technique, match preperation, strategy, etc.  I am sure Atwood and Sliga have both beaten plenty of wrestlers that were stronger and more athletic then they were.  Neither beat MJJ when it mattered most though.

I'm sensing a slightly racist bent in your defense of "technique" over results.  You are obviously shortchanging MJJ's technique by attributing his victory to "strength" and "athleticism".  These euphemisms have often been used to explain away the the successes of black athletes like Caldwell and MJJ and as face saving measures for those they defeat.(or their fans it seems in this case)  I am fairly certain that Brent Metcalf, Braden Atwood and Mitch Sliga would tell you they got beat by a better wrestler that day and would focus on improvement rather than rationalizing why they lost.

I'm sensing a slightly racist bent in your defense of "technique" over results.  You are obviously shortchanging MJJ's technique by attributing his victory to "strength" and "athleticism". 

I was kind of getting that vibe as well and I'm about as "un PC" as they come.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.