Returning State Champions in trouble of losing there titles

duck_and_run

I believe that Cody Phillips, Wright, Tsirtsis (though Mullins seems to be outstanding), McMurray, and Duckworth will keep their titles.  Should be a great year of wrestling.  Anyone that is more familiar with Mullins do they know if he has what it takes to dethrone Jason Tsirtsis?  Its hard to bet against Jason after last year going through Cashe Quiroga to make it to the finals.  Talk about a tough semifinals match at state for a freshmen to be introduced to.

Mullins last lost was vs. Hawkins, and then he placed fifth last year, obviously Hawkins won @ 112. Hasn't gave up a single takedown, SOMETHING has to give Saturday morning!!!!!!!! I would like to see how the 2 react from giving a possible takedwon, it will be interesting.......

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamondpocket is 100% correct on at any given moment one can get stuck.

Here is a Vedio of last Saturdays Regionals ( our simi ) in Illinois

Ranked number #1 in the nation at 189 lbs. LEE MUNSTER gets stuck. Here is the link it's also posted on the IHSA SITE.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

did this knock munster out of the tournament?  or is he still alive?

No, he's still in it.  That was there sectionals right before state.  I believe he took third.  What a crazy match huh?  You just never know what is going to happen with a match and always have to be prepared.

yup, just crazy otto.  wow, you are a first time poster, huh?

LOL  I guess I am?  I don't get on this board very much anymore.  I like reading some of the stuff, but, that's about it.  I'm sure I'll be back when Oscar starts wrestling, lol.  I go on the college one alot, but, I don't post on that one either.  Lee Munster will be coming to Northwestern next year.  Marcus actually wrestled Sterling Hecox before when he was on the middle school dual team.  He wrestled him twice, he won once and he lost once.  Kind of crazy to watch the video.  I'm sure they will both be in the finals this weekend. 

Is 1-0 a close match?

I mean I have seen people get whooped but the score was only 4-3.  In high school there is no riding time and stalling calls are not as prevalent.  So a lot of wrestlers can buy time, not really do anything the whole match and then be talked about on the boards because they "Kept it Close"  I remember Alex Tsirtsis wrestling Persin from Portage his freshman year and he only won 1-0.  Everyone was saying how close it was but Alex rode him for a whole period and persin ony shot once, maybe twice.   You can get beat BAD and only lose by one point.  They only people who fight that are the ones who lost and just because a defending state champ doesn't win by tech fall doens't mean they can't repeat.  

I only added this vedio because Diamondpocket said anyone can be pinned at any given time during a match, which is true, and I thought this match was a perfect exzample of how it can happen.

We all know there will be upsets this weekend as there always is, can't wait.

I only added this vedio because Diamondpocket said anyone can be pinned at any given time during a match, which is true, and I thought this match was a perfect exzample of how it can happen.

We all know there will be upsets this weekend as there always is, can't wait.

Munster was a 119 pounder as a freshman / he sure grew a little / da kid he got stuck by ain't no slouch Hecox is a stud in any book

I would not count out any of the former State Champions. While it is likely some may not repeat if their opponets think that way they will be watching the State from the seats like me. If any of the Champions think they will win because they are past champions they will be in the seats too. I am sure all the wrestlers know they need to bring their A game. BEST of luck to all. I am looking forward to some great wrestling!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.