Re: State Ranked Multisport atheletes

Y2CJ41

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not understand your own debate?  You are saying that having multisport atheletes is hurting your individuals chances of placing at state.  I am saying that the data shows that many multisport atheletes are ranked very high.  In fact 6 #1's and 6#2's.  so how can this be if multisport atheletes are at such a disadvantage?

You are showing a .25% of the varsity kids in the state, not a very large sample size.  How many of those kids are three sport athletes?  How many of those kids play a spring sport?  Your sampling is a bit too small to be considered scientific. 

I can go find 10 kids in the state and say "look, I'm right" on just about anything.  I can go find 10 redheads and say that "redheads suck at wrestling, because I found 10 that are JV."

Y2 Quote

You are showing a .25% of the varsity kids in the state, not a very large sample size.  How many of those kids are three sport athletes?  How many of those kids play a spring sport?  Your sampling is a bit too small to be considered scientific. 

I can go find 10 kids in the state and say "look, I'm right" on just about anything.  I can go find 10 redheads and say that "redheads suck at wrestling, because I found 10 that are JV."

Am I not getting something or is Y2 totally in the wrong.  I have told you the same things three times.My sample is the people YOU claim do not play multiple sports.  Its the upper level wrestlers (state ranked) that you have been claiming do not wrestle multiple sports not all 4000 kids in the state.

Before You answer really really really think about this.  Do you understand why I would survey the state ranked kids and not the whole state now?  Haha please don't play dumb on this I am spelling it out for you the best I possibly can.

For the top 2 to have at least  42% of its wrestlers in multiple sports I think that can not be a statistical anomoly.  The probability of that happening and being a coincedence this season is virtually 0.  Do you understand this arguement is disproven?

Y2 Quote:

Posted on: Today at 08:20:39 PMPosted by: Y2CJ41 

Insert Quote

I can show you multiple sport athletes that don't make it to state and aren't ranked in the top 2, so does that prove that it can't be done? 

Horrible arguement.  If I told you the top scoring NBA players had long hair and you wanted to disprove me would you look up the guys scoring under 10 points a game?  No you would look up the top NBA scorers.  Same goes with this arguement.  If you tell me you are hindered and have a tougher time getting kids to state because your kids play multiple sports who should I look at to disprove you.  I would say the kids that are state ranked would be the group that I am trying to disprove.

I can show you 10 people who won the lottery and say, look it can happen, but statistically it doesn't happen that much.

We are not talking odds of 1 and a million.  We are talking about odds of 6 to 14.  Why would you use the lottery it makes absolutly no sense.

Are there more than 6 wrestlers in the state that participate in more than one sport?

YES...oh wait, no if it doesn't support your thesis.

Are there wrestlers in the state that participate in more than one sport that don't go to state or aren't ranked in the top 2?

YES...oh wait no if it doesn't support your thesis.

It is not a coincidence that there are great athletes that are ranked highly in the state in wrestling.  Guess what?  You will find some great athletes that are all-state football and also very good runners or throwers in track. 

For the top 2 to have at least  42% of its wrestlers in multiple sports I think that can not be a statistical anomoly.  The probability of that happening and being a coincedence this season is virtually 0.  Do you understand this arguement is disproven?

Y2 Quote:

Posted on: Today at 08:20:39 PMPosted by: Y2CJ41 

Insert Quote

I can show you multiple sport athletes that don't make it to state and aren't ranked in the top 2, so does that prove that it can't be done? 

Horrible arguement.  If I told you the top scoring NBA players had long hair and you wanted to disprove me would you look up the guys scoring under 10 points a game?  No you would look up the top NBA scorers.  Same goes with this arguement.  If you tell me you are hindered and have a tougher time getting kids to state because your kids play multiple sports who should I look at to disprove you.  I would say the kids that are state ranked would be the group that I am trying to disprove.

I can show you 10 people who won the lottery and say, look it can happen, but statistically it doesn't happen that much.

We are not talking odds of 1 and a million.  We are talking about odds of 6 to 14.  Why would you use the lottery it makes absolutly no sense.

I am just showing you the lottery CAN be won, just like a kid CAN be ranked and be in more than just wrestling.  Obviously you don't get it, which is nothing unusual.  You still have problems with the English language, so I understand.

Are you on something you usually do not seem this uneducated.  Based on our little debate you have been wrong on practically everything.  Someone please tell him he is not making any sense right now besides me.  Maybe then he will listen.

FYI for the fourth time

my thesis is that going to state has no correlation with being a multiple sport athelete.  For this debate I do not find it benificial to look at indivduals that are not state ranked.  Just as it would be unbenificial if the thesis were that tall kids make it to state.  Why would I look at the kids that did not make it to state when I am trying to find how many short kids went to state.  Thats as simple as I can put it if you do not get that you never ever will.  Will somebody please chime in and tell him his arguements are well off based so that he may listen.

As far as the lottery statement your sample size would be the every one in the state playing the lottery while my sample size is 14.  There is quite a bit of difference.  Someone check in on Y2 I think he has went Crazy.

Y2 you can not use individual examples to prove anything.

Didn't you say this?  Why can you  use individual examples, yet I can't?  This is a really fun game you play where you can only do what you want.

I am glad you can conclude that good athletes also make good wrestlers.  I know it is earth shattering to you, but it is not to me.  How many of these kids play three sports, I am curious Mr. Know It All?

Your arguement was that playing multiple sports hinders small school individuals chances of going to state.  Multiple meaning two.  Are you agreeing that there is no correlation between state wrestlers and playing two sports?  Before I do any more of a study I want to make sure your not going to change your arguement after the fact.  

How is my little survey at all using individual examples?  It is using them just like every study.  It ask individuals a question and then takes the data and compiles what is happening within your sample size.  My sample shows that much of the state ranked individuals play multiple sports.  This in turn disproves your theory that small schools can not compete because big schools have less multipul sport atheletes.  It disproves it because a large percetage of the top wrestlers in the state play multiple sports showing that there is likely no correlation between being a multisport athelete and wrestling success.  Is that clear enough for you or would you like me to make up a diagram of how a survey works?  HaHa keep on talking and hurting your cause I can not believe no class wrestling people will step up and say "Why don't you take the next few plays off Y2!"

Your arguement was that playing multiple sports hinders small school individuals chances of going to state.  Multiple meaning two. 

Multiple, means two or more.  Are you still having trouble with the English language?

Are you agreeing that there is no correlation between state wrestlers and playing two sports?  Before I do any more of a study I want to make sure your not going to change your arguement after the fact. 

So you show that six kids out of 4000 are good wrestlers and play two sports and this proves something?  I can show you six redheads that are good wrestlers to prove that redheads are the best wrestlers ever.

How is my little survey at all using individual examples?  It is using them just like every study.  It ask individuals a question and then takes the data and compiles what is happening within your sample size. 

You have a sample of 14 kids, my sample of 55 though was told to be not valid by you because it didn't fit your argument.  I guess the limit is 14 for your sample size.

My sample shows that much of the state ranked individuals play multiple sports.  

Can you use English please?  You sample shows that some do, so far only 25%, not much or many.

This in turn disproves your theory that small schools can not compete because big schools have less multipul sport atheletes.  

Spell check is your friend.  Big schools do have less multiple sport athletes.  I cannot believe you are even arguing this....oh wait, yes I can.

It disproves it because a large percetage of the top wrestlers in the state play multiple sports showing that there is likely no correlation between being a multisport athelete and wrestling success.  

75% that are single sport athletes is a large percentage, 25% is not.  

Is that clear enough for you or would you like me to make up a diagram of how a survey works?  HaHa keep on talking and hurting your cause I can not believe no class wrestling people will step up and say "Why don't you take the next few plays off Y2!"

Not clear enough yet, when 6 out of 4000 is enough to prove anything.  Not clear enough when 1 in 4 is a large number.  

Personally I agree with Y2 in part.  It is far more difficult to get to State wrestling in a small school.  I just don't agree the solution is to go to Individual Class wrestling.

There may be other reasons to go there, like making wrestling better in Indiana.  Although I have not seen sufficient evidence I am open to the possibility.

Making it to State is hard whether you are from a big school or small.  Making it to State is hard whether you are a one sport wonder or a multi-sport Jack of all trades.

I do know that fewer make it from smaller schools because they, like my son, have had to endure with weaker wrestling partners, smaller budgets, and perhaps lesser coaches in the room.

But I know for a fact if you have the heart and desire (and the talent) you will FIND a way to get there even if it means working with other coaches in the off season and finding better partners in to off season and finding tougher competiton in the off season.

State is in a little over a week.  The path to State 2011 starts the day after for all wrestlers whether they are from big or small schools, whether they wrestle only or participate in multiple sports.

That is what makes wrestliing in Indiana special.

Just my two cents.

So what is your criteria for this list?  If they played another sport once during their career or this year...or ever....or if you just feel like adding them to the list?

I would think that he is adding him because he was ranked in at least two years that he also participated in another sport.

BTW, he was awarded as a junior on the soccer team for leading the team with the most take downs!!!

I would think that he is adding him because he was ranked in at least two years that he also participated in another sport.

BTW, he was awarded as a junior on the soccer team for leading the team with the most take downs!!!

This year he is a one sport athlete, so I would say he should be off the list.  Of course its not my list, and it is the almighty great one's list so he will just add people to make it look good whether he knows anything about them or not.

This year he is a one sport athlete, so I would say he should be off the list.  Of course its not my list, and it is the almighty great one's list so he will just add people to make it look good whether he knows anything about them or not.

Whatever, it is not my list and I actually replied to him while you two were going at it and had not idea what was going on.

Just trying to be helpful.

Now I will leave you two to continue your "discussion."

Quote from: duck_and_run on Today at 09:23:40 PM

This in turn disproves your theory that small schools can not compete because big schools have less multipul sport atheletes.  

Spell check is your friend.  Big schools do have less multiple sport athletes.  I cannot believe you are even arguing this....oh wait, yes I can.

I am not argueing that read the freaking arguements.  Sorry if that looks rude but I have made It 100% clear and told you 4 times what I am argueing.  I am argueing that playing multiple sports has no impact on state success and not that big schools have less multisport atheletes.  Why can't you get that.  What is wrong with you.

Are you agreeing that there is no correlation between state wrestlers and playing two sports?  Before I do any more of a study I want to make sure your not going to change your arguement after the fact.  

So you show that six kids out of 4000 are good wrestlers and play two sports and this proves something?  I can show you six redheads that are good wrestlers to prove that redheads are the best wrestlers ever.

No I am saying that 6  of the 14 #1 seeds are multisport atheletes.  Also another 6 of the #2 seeds.

I think if all 4,000 student-athletes who wrestle were to be surveyed, we would find that most do play more than one sport.  However based on Y2's list I would say that to be considered an elite wrestler, or in any sport for that matter, being a single sport athlete would be the best way to achieve that status.  I do believe DNR brings a legitimite counter point to one of your points in the class wrestling debate.