Re: State Ranked Multisport atheletes

Y2CJ41

Remember this quote from just a little bit ago?

Haha you guys are really funny.  Y2 you can not use individual examples to prove anything. 

You should use your own advice.

my quote

It is also 100% true that if you lift weights with the football team, or run cross country, or condition with track or soccer you will be a better wrestler.  My own opinion is if a guy plays another sport he can gain just as much as meeting twice a week for an hour of mat time.  It all comes down to how much total work the people put into it. 

Y2 quote

The pink is false, it is not a fact, just your opinion.  I tend to believe as others do that if I want my kid to become a better wrestler he needs to be on the mats in the spring, not on the track or baseball field or golf course.

I like how you state its true, but then say its your opinion.... make up your mind.

I had no clue that lifting weights and running don't make you a better wrestler.  I will send the memo out to the coaches so they no not to run or lift this offseason.  A nice way of sarcastically saying bad point.  Kudos to you for making this arguement easier.

Go ahead and send that memo, tell them that in order for their wrestlers to get better is for them to stay off the mats as much as possible during the spring and summer.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes 12 of 28 wrestlers should be considered valid.  In statistics you usually do not poll everyone .  From my small sample size of this website I have already proven that being a multisport athelete does little or nothing to hurt your cause of going to state.  when nearly 50% of the sample sizes top 2 wrestlers play multiple sports it kinda says that multisport wrestlers can compete and have an opportunity at a state title.  There could even be more I do not have the figures for the other wrestlers yet. 

Im not even going to rebut that last one everyone who reads this will see your absolutly wrong about this just by reading the past two pages.

Yes 12 of 28 wrestlers should be considered valid.  In statistics you usually do not poll everyone .  From my small sample size of this website I have already proven that being a multisport athelete does little or nothing to hurt your cause of going to state.  when nearly 50% of the sample sizes top 2 wrestlers play multiple sports it kinda says that multisport wrestlers can compete and have an opportunity at a state title.  There could even be more I do not have the figures for the other wrestlers yet. 

Im not even going to rebut that last one everyone who reads this will see your absolutly wrong about this just by reading the past two pages.

How much you wanna bet that all of those kids aren't top 2 in the state?

My stats are from the past 11 years, that is a lot more data than 28 kids out of over 4000.  What if you are a multi-sport athlete and don't make it to state?  What can you say about that kid?

My stats are from the past 11 years, that is a lot more data than 28 kids out of over 4000.  What if you are a multi-sport athlete and don't make it to state?  What can you say about that kid

Simple they were not good enough to make it to state.  Just like a kid who only wrestles that doesn't make it to state was not good enough.  Your arguement is that big schools get more staters because they have less multisport atheletes.  Its not true.  The reason they get more staters has no correlation to the number of sports they play.  I think that the little survey proves that.

My stats are from the past 11 years, that is a lot more data than 28 kids out of over 4000.  What if you are a multi-sport athlete and don't make it to state?  What can you say about that kid

Simple they were not good enough to make it to state.  Just like a kid who only wrestles that doesn't make it to state was not good enough.  Your arguement is that big schools get more staters because they have less multisport atheletes.  Its not true.  The reason they get more staters has no correlation to the number of sports they play.  I think that the little survey proves that.

So you pick out 70 kids in the state and it proves that.  I guess you win, you are all knowing.  You are the best, the greatest, the coolest, most intelligent.

I will try one more time

Karls coment

Just because many elite wrestlers play a fall sport does nothing to invalidate the argument that small schools are going to have more multi sport athletes.  That is the argument.  The list doesn't address the argument

The arguement states that the big schools have an advantage to get people to state because they do not have as many multisport atheletes.  The study shows that many of the big schools top guys are multisport atheletes.  Thus being a multisport athelete is not relavant in the discussion.  Why is this so hard to grasp.  You guys are wrong and anyone looking at this post can see it.  Keep it up though its just making my cause look better.

Just providing a list of a few elite wrestlers who play a fall sport for the most part does NOT prove that big schools have fewer multisport athletes as you seem to claim. 

To prove that argument wrong you would have to compile rosters and sports played by a SIGNIFICANT number of schools both big and small.  If that data would show equal number of big school multi sport wrestlers as small school then you would be onto something.

What you have compiled is nothing more than a list of good wrestlers from big and small schools.  IT DOES NOT ADDRESS THE ARGUMENT

y2 comment

Just providing a list of a few elite wrestlers who play a fall sport for the most part does NOT prove that big schools have fewer multisport athletes as you seem to claim

Ok last time I am saying this I am not trying to prove that small school atheletes have more or less multiport atheletes.  I am trying to prove that it has no correlation to a guy being able to compete at the highest level.  

Multi-sport and Spring are entirely different animals

Your changing your arguement from the original first of all.  Secondly, football weights are year round.  All schools have to compete with them big and small.  Wrestlers who wrestle multiple sports can still get mat time. 

Andrew Howe - 1 sport

Reese Humphrey - 1 sport

Angel Escobedo - 1 sport

There's you list, your point is moot.  The best are 1 sport guys.  End of debate.

Difference between elite and top level competition. 

Why wasn't Howe forced to participate in 3 sports by the big bad small school?

Difference between elite and top level competition. 

Why wasn't Howe forced to participate in 3 sports by the big bad small school?

No one is forced to do anything.  The reasons why more small school atletes CHOOSE to participate in multiple sports have been well documented in the past.

No one is forced to do anything.  The reasons why more small school atletes CHOOSE to participate in multiple sports have been well documented in the past.

Ok before this gets stupid (probably too late). I agree that small schools are at a disadvantage...it just is not because of multi or spring sport athletes. 

More like the law of averages.  1 out of every 100 kids is a qualifer...if you have 1000 to choose from you have better odds than if you have 100.  Thats the real problem.

Ok before this gets stupid (probably too late). I agree that small schools are at a disadvantage...it just is not because of multi or spring sport athletes. 

More like the law of averages.  1 out of every 100 kids is a qualifer...if you have 1000 to choose from you have better odds than if you have 100.  Thats the real problem.

Multi or spring sport athletes are just one of a myraid of reasons given as to why small schools are at a disadvantage.  I would tend to agree on an individual basis this would be less prevalent but in trying to build a program that is competitive at the regional level and beyond, it becomes an issue.

Multi or spring sport athletes are just one of a myraid of reasons given as to why small schools are at a disadvantage.  I would tend to agree on an individual basis this would be less prevalent but in trying to build a program that is competitive at the regional level and beyond, it becomes an issue.

And thus we get to the, although nearly impossible logistically, ideal solution of classing the team side while leaving the individual series classless...??

Y2 post-

Insert Quote

Andrew Howe - 1 sport

Reese Humphrey - 1 sport

Angel Escobedo - 1 sport

There have also been many studs that do not only wrestle.

Anton Talementaz, Jake O'Brian, Greg Wagner, Blake Maurer, Adam Chalfant(ranked 9th nationally as a senior),Micheal Duckworth(ranked like 12th right now). 

You keep bringing up individual examples and it just doesn't fly.  How do you argue with the data that I have on hand?  When nearly 50% of the top two ranked guys in each weight class are multisport atheletes doesn't that in itself tell you that there is no correlation between the two?  No offense Y2 but your arguement is flat out a rediculous lie.

Andrae Herndandez- 1 sport

Brennan Cosgrove- 1 sport

Eric Galka- 1 sport

Cody Phillips- 1 sport

Justin Brooks- 1 sport

Camden Eppert- 1 sport

Brandon Wright- 1 sport

Jason Tsirtsis- 1 sport

Cashe Quiroga- 1 sport

Anthony Hawkins- 1 sport

Daniel Young- 1 sport

Sean McMurray- 1 sport

Josh Harper- 1 sport

Lets keep playing this game, its fun

Lets play the real game with actual data.  Don't throw a bunch of bs indivdual examples up on the board and act like its a fact cause its not.  Facts are at least 42 % of the top two ranked individuals in the state are multisport atheletes.  Give me a fact that tops that otherwise you got nothing.  The premise of the arguement was that small schools are at a distinct disadvantage because they have more multisport atheletes.  If thats true why are the rankings about 50 to 50 on the top spots.