castle reg

BB145

I'm not arguing about weight! I'm just saying that a coach is not going to throw his kids under a bus and Ferguson is no different! If my son has a problem when he gets to high school I hope Ferguson has his back as well! Correction- I know he will!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not arguing about weight! I'm just saying that a coach is not going to throw his kids under a bus and Ferguson is no different! If my son has a problem when he gets to high school I hope Ferguson has his back as well! Correction- I know he will!

There is a time to have your kids back and a time to teach. I don't know you, but I am sure that if Coach XXX saw a wrestler stealing or caught him lieing you would not expect him to have their back. I am not saying that this wrestler is lieing by any means, I think he just made a mistake and did not Zero the scale. But the bottom line is, he did not make weight and I do not see why the coach is supposed to support this.

Does this mean that any time a wrestler does not make weight his coach is supposed to protest? Am I missing something here? What makes this different?

I saw coach Ferguson kick more than one kid off the team and I know it won't be the last. He does what he thinks is fair, and in this situation he deemed the kid need some support. If he weighted correct early than the wrestler has no reason to think he won't again. There had to be something to make him wanna do right for the kid! A couple of years ago at semi state we had a wrestler not make weight and Ferguson flat out told him he's done! So I think there has to be more to this!

From the posts I've seen, it does not appear that Coach Ferguson was present when Van Hook initially checked his weight. When Van Hook told him he had checked his weight & was on weight and then he wasn't at the official weigh-in, Coach Ferguson had no other option but to back his wrestler.  If he had not backed Van Hook, he would have been, in essence, calling him a liar.  I don't know Van Hook well, but he seems to be a fine young man, so I have difficulty believing he lied to Coach Ferguson about the initial weight check.  As someone mentioned earlier, perhaps the scale in question had not been properly zeroed. Again, we will never know how things truly went down.

This situation is VERY different from if a kid is knowingly cheating, stealing, or lying.  I don't think ANYONE on this forum would say that a coach should back his wrestlers in ALL situations no matter what.  That's ludicrous to even think.  A coach's job is not only to teach, but to dole out discipline & to offer support when it's needed. Perhaps in this situation, Coach Ferguson thought support was what was called for.

I have one simple question...

I may have missed all this in all this but it's a fair question...

Did ANYONE from the Reitz coaching staff happen to CHECK the wrestler in questions's weight BEFORE the offical weigh in?

I know it was mentioned here that you always checked your weight well before the Official Wegh In.  But was there someone there manning the scale for the Coaching staff?

Just a question...Would have eliminated A LOT of this stuff. 

Let?s be mindful that these students work very hard to maintain their weight, and for this reason we should only recount the facts told by the attending officials, from that particular event.  The comments on this thread leave one to believe that IHSAA?s system is corrupt, and not only is it an unfair judgment, but mainly a poor example of true leadership and sportsmanlike conduct on our part.

In this case, facts are necessary to make comments regarding any wrestler in Indiana. As adults, we shouldn?t spend too much time on verbal speculation or hear-say?we have to remain a positive example for our wrestlers. 

Please respect Indiana wrestlers and only post what is fair:  Get the facts and get the quotes from the attending officials.

I have one simple question...

I may have missed all this in all this but it's a fair question...

Did ANYONE from the Reitz coaching staff happen to CHECK the wrestler in questions's weight BEFORE the offical weigh in?

I know it was mentioned here that you always checked your weight well before the Official Wegh In.   But was there someone there manning the scale for the Coaching staff?

Just a question...Would have eliminated A LOT of this stuff.  

im not sure if any one on reitz coaching staff did but im pretty sure the 103 pound champion hall saw him and if u asked him ill sure he will tell u the same

im not sure if any one on reitz coaching staff did but im pretty sure the 103 pound champion hall saw him and if u asked him ill sure he will tell u the same

Yes he would cause he was right there and all he told me was he was close, then came out and told me he did'nt make it!!!

My son also told me he was there and that he didnt make it. It is over. Nothing can be said on here to change the situation. With all this drama being on here everybody better be ready on Saturday. I am sure weight will be examined closely and maybe even random drug checks...who knows !!! They probally think we are crazy :o

Let?s be mindful that these students work very hard to maintain their weight, and for this reason we should only recount the facts told by the attending officials, from that particular event.  The comments on this thread leave one to believe that IHSAA?s system is corrupt, and not only is it an unfair judgment, but mainly a poor example of true leadership and sportsmanlike conduct on our part.

In this case, facts are necessary to make comments regarding any wrestler in Indiana. As adults, we shouldn?t spend too much time on verbal speculation or hear-say?we have to remain a positive example for our wrestlers. 

Please respect Indiana wrestlers and only post what is fair:  Get the facts and get the quotes from the attending officials.

Didn't I see you in a club down in Ole SoHo?

One Question for those who observe the sport of wrestling closely...

What is the first thing a Ref has two opponants do before they wrestle and the last thing he has them do before the winner is presented?

And Why is that done?   

Get my drift?

One Question for those who observe the sport of wrestling closely...

What is the first thing a Ref has two opponants do before they wrestle and the last thing he has them do before the winner is presented?

And Why is that done?   

Get my drift?

good point

I agree  with what Matchick had said. A wrester and the coach should always keep in mind that not every scale is made the same, therefore, a wrestler, like Matchick said, should be .5-.7 under their represented weight class. I had four sons who wrestled and they all made weight. In fact, My son in his senior year would wake up EARLY every morning before a wrestling meet and run to ASSURE that he was .5+ under! Parents should be involved in monitering their own kids weight. Parents should help them out. It was so dark outside and the roads would be slick, that i would drive behid my son with my highbeams on just so he could watch where he was going. Parents, help take the responsibility!

And Coaches, yes, i agree in defending ur wrestler, but when you get there an hour before weigh ins and a coach should be present to moniter their own wrestler's weight before official weigh in, shouldnt someone have seen the kid running to take of the extra weight? He had an hour before official weigh ins to make weight, so when the time came, how in the world did he not? You cant blame it on faulty scales because like Matchick and i said earlier, coaches and wrestlers should always keep in mind that not every scale is made equal...

just my 2 cents

-Frosty

This whole thing is political joke. We all know what the truth is and we are trying to sweep it under the rug and act like it did not happen. That is especially true of the Rietz contingent. Hell I will just come out and say the are a bunch of __________ and ________ ers. I think the poem said it the best. Just look in the mirror. So much for integrity. You fill in the blanks. What, did we feel sorry because he was   a ranked wrestler from a top twenty team.? It just wasn't right he should be DQed even if he did miss weight. Boo Hoo :'( :'(

I agree  with what Matchick had said. A wrester and the coach should always keep in mind that not every scale is made the same, therefore, a wrestler, like Matchick said, should be .5-.7 under their represented weight class. I had four sons who wrestled and they all made weight. In fact, My son in his senior year would wake up EARLY every morning before a wrestling meet and run to ASSURE that he was .5+ under! Parents should be involved in monitering their own kids weight. Parents should help them out. It was so dark outside and the roads would be slick, that i would drive behid my son with my highbeams on just so he could watch where he was going. Parents, help take the responsibility!

And Coaches, yes, i agree in defending ur wrestler, but when you get there an hour before weigh ins and a coach should be present to moniter their own wrestler's weight before official weigh in, shouldnt someone have seen the kid running to take of the extra weight? He had an hour before official weigh ins to make weight, so when the time came, how in the world did he not? You cant blame it on faulty scales because like Matchick and i said earlier, coaches and wrestlers should always keep in mind that not every scale is made equal...

just my 2 cents

-Frosty

Now tell us the truth...You were actually driving behind him thinking "I could make this look like and accident..."    ;D

Excallent points though...Personal Responsibility is the ONE lesson wrestling teaches us all...And I hate to say it but this appears to be a situation where that lesson was allowed to be over ruled.   But hey, what is over is over...

wow i must have mised a crazy one.  Therse so much involved in this fiasco i dont know where to start.  First I've been involved in wrestling over 35 yrs and i have never heard that if a person missed wt at the "official" weigh in be allowed to wrestle in that tournament at that wt.  I dont care if phone calls were made to the president or the pope or some higher authority.  When the young lad made wt pryor to the official weigh in no matter how many witnesses he had,  it doesnt count.  Pryor to the weigh in,  his coaches should have checked his wt.  not ask "are you good" but have eyes on scales  "ok kid your good,  dont drink nothing dont touch nothing.  I remember wrestlig in finland some yrs back and our 136.5 lber goes to sleep .3 over.  wakes up, works out  and at weigh in time he's 143 lbs.  and hes got tears in his eyes screaming telling our coach , "coach i swear to GOD I didnt eat nothing !!!"  No Im not questioning the young mans integrity.  So lets not go there.  and i admit I myself have missed wt at some very very important tournaments and had to wrestle the higher wt so i feel for him i truly do but  once he missed wt i feel he should have been done. As much as it may hurt, its the right thing to do.  coaches ferguson and harmon are both great coaches and motivators of our young men. both have always had my respect.  But Im an old school kind of guy so I lean towards coach harmon on this.  question 1  did the boy make wt?  No... #2  your saying the scales were altered?  if they were ,name names and point fingers. if your pointing them at me then we have a problem and we can straighten em out quick fast and in a hurry.. if your not naming me or castle organization and not pointing at me then who ya pointing them at? lets get this straightened out.    Any who,  good luck this week to all who wrestle.   

and i do not hide behind an alias

george williams

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.