Hobart Invite

tangarrray

With last years invite being cancelled because of snow, this will be the first Hobart Invite held in the new building. What schools are participating? In the past I remember Hobart, Mishiwaka, Portage, Munster and I think Calumet but I can't remember the rest. Although, I know Chesterton has just been added this past week.

I love this tournament.  Every year there are great matches.  It usually only has about 10-12 teams, but the finals are some of the best wrestling you will see all year long.  Just a few memorable matches include Galka getting beat  by Smith of Mish and this was the year Galka won state as a junior.  This goes back away but Brad Harper and Cantu from Hobart had a few dogfights at this tournament.  Too many other great matches to mention have come out of this tournament.  I go to the Al Smith every year, but have consistently found the finals of the Gary Burkhart more entertaining and competitive.  I for one, won't miss it. 

3 matches stand out in my mind from this tourney ,cosgrove over McGill a few years ago, as well as Porras falling in yet another close one to Harper.

the most memorable though was back in 94' unbeatean #1 Brian Kincaide of Hobart took on #2  undefeated Chris Snyder of Mishawaka..Snyder would win by criteria after the OT's..They flip flopped in rankings and seemed destined to meet in semi-state, and state finals..Kincaide dislocated his shoulder in practice before regionals..He wrestled one armed and won his first match then lost in the second round to a guy he dominated during the year, then again in the 3/4th plac. match. Kincaide took 3rd as a jr. but the injury ended his sr. campaign..Snyder would go on to win back to back titles.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.