Indianapolis on UFC Shortlist

Drooke

UFC to skip Chicago in 2009; Indianapolis, Memphis on short list of new-market targets

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on May 29, 2009 at 2:00 pm ET

With the UFC's fall and winter schedule quickly filling, UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner has confirmed the organization will not be visiting Chicago in 2009.

Ratner recently informed The Northwest Indiana Times that the UFC's schedule was "pretty well done" in 2009 and did not currently include a stop in the U.S.'s third-largest city.

Ratner did say the UFC would be looking to return to Chicago in the future, but that new markets such as Indianapolis and Memphis were also a major focus.

The UFC made its first, and so far only, trip to Illinois in October 2008 for "UFC 90: Silva vs. Cote."

Held at the Allstate Arena just outside of Chicago in suburban Rosemont, Ill., UFC 90 drew a sold-out crowd of 15,359 for a $2.8 million gate, a record for the venue. Ratner told the Northwest Indiana Times that when the UFC does return to Chicago, the 20,000-plus seat United Center was a potential target.

In the meantime, with Indiana set to begin regulation of mixed martial arts on July 1, Ratner said that Indianapolis' Conseco Fieldhouse, home to the NBA's Indiana Pacers, has become an additional potential target for the UFC to visit in 2010.

Ratner also mentioned Memphis to the Northwest Inidana Times as a new market the organization is actively pursuing, while reaffirming his commitment to assist in passing MMA legislation in New York and Massachusetts, two of just seven remaining states in the U.S. currently without regulation of the sport.

• 1 month later...

I have some friends who work with the ND athletic dept.  The new AD there has come from the Indy sports network, of course.  The info from those folks is that the Indy fight is a definite.  They are already pulling to put themselves in line for tickets!  As soon as I confirm mine I will mention you guys  ::)  One of our best points for hosting the Olympic Team Trials for wrestling in Indy was our proximity to a large percentage of the population.  Indianapolis is a days drive for a great percentage of people.  Indy obviously can manage/hold a major event and has the food & entertainment draw to boot!  It's an obvious yes...  Start saving!

I took my father to the two major boxing events that have been held in Indianapolis (Conseco).  1. Main Card - Roy Jones Jr vs. Richard Hall Undercard  of Bernard "The Executioner" Hopkins vs. Syd Vanderpool and 2. Sugar Shane Mosely vs Vernon Forrest.  I had just as much fun watching the people attending the events as I did the actual bouts and my seats were no less than 5 rows from the floor. 

I am looking forward to the event that is the UFC.

When is Machida-Jackson? That would make sense in Memphis. Doubt I would go, hate the crowds, but would be awesome for the growth in Indiana, imho.

Not sure who makes this card.  Fitch and Lytle are no-brainers.  O'Brien makes this card if he lasts that long in the UFC.

Who else headlines this card?  Rich Franklin is from Ohio. 

When is Machida-Jackson? That would make sense in Memphis. Doubt I would go, hate the crowds, but would be awesome for the growth in Indiana, imho.

Not sure who makes this card.  Fitch and Lytle are no-brainers.  O'Brien makes this card if he lasts that long in the UFC.

Who else headlines this card?  Rich Franklin is from Ohio. 

Lesner has Big Ten ties, as does Evans, those 2 jump out at me.