2009 Dave Schultz Award - David Taylor

Drooke

Ohio?s David Taylor wins the 2009 Dave Schultz High School Excellence National Award

NWHOF

04/29/2009 

STILLWATER, Okla. ? David Taylor, a high school senior from Graham High School in St. Paris, Ohio has been selected as the national winner of the 2009 Dave Schultz High School Excellence National Award presented by the National Wrestling Hall of Fame & Museum.

The High School Excellence Award is named in honor of Olympic and World Champion Dave Schultz. Each award recipient is evaluated on excellence in wrestling, scholastic achievement, character, citizenship, and community service.

Taylor was selected from the 49 state winners and five regional winners that were announced two weeks ago.

?I have heard so much about the way Dave Schultz touched everyone's lives in the wrestling community, and to be considered for this great award, let alone win it, is by far the highlight of my high school wrestling career? said Taylor. ?Having seen the stone carving in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame over the years, I know he would be proud of my accomplishments and would feel that I too learned "HOW" to wrestle. I will continue to wear a smile and try to be an ambassador to the wrestling community like the incomparable Dave Schultz.?

Taylor?s high school career record stands at 180-2. He is a four-time state high school champion and in each of the last two years was named Ohio Wrestler of the Year. Taylor was the ?Outstanding Wrestler? of the 2009 Ohio State Tournament. He is a Cadet and Junior National Freestyle and Greco-Roman Champion and FILA Junior World Team member. He was also named to the 2008 Asics All-America First Team. He has won championships at the Beast of the East and Ironman high school national tournaments.

His community service activities include being a member and officer of the 4-H Club, where he has won numerous awards including an Ohio State Championship in barrel racing. In addition, he enjoys spending his off-time to ?roll around? with youth wrestlers. Taylor is ranked in the top 10 of his graduating class and carries a 4.0 G.P.A. He will be attending Iowa State University next fall.

?The selection committee felt that David combined an impressive balance of excellence in his academic and wrestling credentials while being an active participant in school activities and giving back to his community in the form of community service,? said Lee Roy Smith, Executive Director of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame & Museum.

Taylor will attend Honors Weekend on June 5 and 6 to personally accept the award. Following is a list of previous award winners:

Dave Schultz High School Excellence National Winners

1996 David Kjeldgaard, Lewis Central High School, Council Bluffs, Iowa

1997 Jeff Knupp, Walsh Jesuit High School, Akron, Ohio

1998 Garrett Lowney, Freedom High School, Appelton, Wisconsin and Justin Ruiz, Taylorsville High School, Salt Lake City, Utah

1999 Zach Roberson, Blue Valley North West High School, Overland Park, Kansas

2000 Ben Connell, Lugoff-Elgin High School, Lugoff, South Carolina

2001 Steven Mocco, Blair Academy, Blairstown, New Jersey

2002 Teyon Ware, Edmond North High School, Edmond, Oklahoma

2003 C. P. Schlatter, St. Paul Graham High School, Urbana, Ohio

2004 Coleman Scott, Waynesburg High School, Waynesburg, Pennsylvania

2005 Troy Nickerson, Chenango Forks High School, Chenango Forks, New York

2006 David Craig, Brandon High School, Brandon, Florida

2007 Zachary Sanders, Wabasha-Kellog High School, Wabasha, Minnesota

2008 Jason Chamberlain, Springville High School, Springville, Utah

It will be intersting to see if David does indeed end up at Iowa State.  Or turns into a Cyclion.

Wrestling: Cyclones grant releases to two recruits

BY DAN McCOOL dmccool@dmreg.com May 7, 2009

David Taylor and Luke Macchiaroli, two of Iowa State?s four scholarship wrestling recruits for the 2009-10 season, have been released from their letter of intent, according to Iowa State coach Kevin Jackson.

Taylor, the nation?s No. 2 recruit at 135 pounds according to W.I.N. Magazine, is a four-time state champion from St. Paris (Ohio) Graham High School. Macchiaroli is a three-time state champion from Corona del Sol in Tempe, Ariz.

Jackson was named head coach May 1, replacing Cael Sanderson, who is head coach at Penn State.

?Taylor was coming to Iowa State strictly for Cael,? Jackson said today. ?He?s thinking about staying at home, so he asked me for a release to speak with Ohio State. Macchiaroli has been given a release and he asked to speak to Penn State.?

Jackson said he has an on-campus meeting with Kansas recruit Boaz Beard coming up. Jackson said he has talked with two-time state champion Trent Weatherman of Ballard of Huxley and is awaiting a final decision from him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.