Grinds my Gears - Perry Meridian!

This comes from a previous post, but i thought it deserved its own section -

What grinds my gears today is people/fans/wrestlers/parents who complain about refereeing at a Greco/Freestyle event. Here's the basics: There are usually 20+ surfaces, which require referees, which i might add are ALL VOLUNTEERS! Many are high school kids who are giving back to help their program raise money through the tournament.

1. You can complain about high school referees, they do make a couple bucks, and it requires some actual training, but freestyle/greco is all VOLUNTEER, and most people are just doing it to help out.

2. Who cares if you get a bad call or two at a local tournament! Ask someone over the age of 30 what place they got in the perry meridian greco tournament in 1989. They won't be able to tell you, because it is not important. Whats important is that your kid gets experience, and you teach him life lessons about hard work, and overcoming things that sometimes are unfair. Teaching your children to complain about VOLUNTEER referees is probably not the best move.

~WILDCAT

I know a certain kindly gent who, despite probably wearing a laurel upon his head at one time, suffered a brutal kick to the head during a tourney this weekend and soldiered on with butterfly bandages on his noggin.  Guys like him make us all look like tyros and idiots when we voice petty things that don't go our way in the sport or in life, for that matter.

I know a certain kindly gent who, despite probably wearing a laurel upon his head at one time, suffered a brutal kick to the head during a tourney this weekend and soldiered on with butterfly bandages on his noggin.  Guys like him make us all look like tyros and idiots when we voice petty things that don't go our way in the sport or in life, for that matter.

Good for you.

Just so you know, wildcat's post was the first I read re: referring this weekend.  I then read all of the other things in other threads that might have lead him to post this.  Sorry if what I put here offended you as it was not meant to.

Good for you.

Just so you know, wildcat's post was the first I read re: referring this weekend.  I then read all of the other things in other threads that might have lead him to post this.  Sorry if what I put here offended you as it was not meant to.

Group hug?

blah, i got called an idiot, along with many other distasteful insults this past weekend at Mishawaka. Surprisingly they all came from the dad's of Intermediate and lower  wrestlers... the older kids were much more forgiving.

It took my a few years to realize the proper way to talk to refs, I would say by the time he was a 2nd year schoolboy I started to figure it out. Good thing you have tough skin there Fabio.

blah, i got called an idiot, along with many other distasteful insults this past weekend at Mishawaka. Surprisingly they all came from the dad's of Intermediate and lower  wrestlers... the older kids were much more forgiving.

It took my a few years to realize the proper way to talk to refs, I would say by the time he was a 2nd year schoolboy I started to figure it out. Good thing you have tough skin there Fabio.

What, shouting expletives is not the proper way to talk to refs?

What, shouting expletives is not the proper way to talk to refs?

I dont remember shouting explitives at them, but I am sure some of them escaped my mouth when i was retelling how bad they were. But things change, and we all learn. The kids learn how to be better wrestlers, the dads learn how to be better spectators and coaches, and it is amazing how much better the refs get after you have been around the sport 8-10 years.

yeah but you know I still think a 12-13 yr old should not be reffing a jr or cadet match.if they want to ref do the little guys.I just don't think they have a good judgment on a 3 4 5 pt throws from what i have seen.and at the end of a match it will cost the wrestler pts.i know everybody thinks it is the off season but some guys are trying to get to fargo ya know.

I dont remember shouting explitives at them, but I am sure some of them escaped my mouth when i was retelling how bad they were. But things change, and we all learn. The kids learn how to be better wrestlers, the dads learn how to be better spectators and coaches, and it is amazing how much better the refs get after you have been around the sport 8-10 years.

Don't worry, I wasn't singling you out or anything.  I was just being a smart***.  But some parents do get very emotional, for better or worse.  I just would like for some to just sit back and realize that alot of these refs are volunteers.  As long as they're doing a decent job, they shouldn't be getting ripped into it.

There were so many times at perry i would have loved to choked some parents in the gym where the little guys were wrestling.  The tournament was already going slow but there was a certain group that argued every single stinking call the refs made.  I am not going to say i dont argue with the refs because ive been warned several times but there is a certain extent that you just have to stop. It was border line rediculous.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.