Perry Meridian Greco/Freestyle ????

JTM2004

Any old guys going to be there i dont really want to pay an entry fee to not wrestle, even exhibitions will do. I weigh about 165 will wrestle up if necessary.  If any takers find me at meet ill be the guy asking for matches.

CoachRyan_Delta ill be there tomorrow night and saturday....ill be asking for matches probably have them anounce it for exhibition tomorrow night and saturday so im sure we can work something out...hope to see you there

I will wrestle an exhibition tomorrow night Maybe at the end they can get all us old guy's together and we can go at it. :) See if Warrendad is game?

Uh NO!......Actually I will tell ya what, you raise $2500.00 for Breast cancer charity, and I would allow someone to see me in a singlet, and take a picture. You raise $3500.00 and I will step on the mat and wrestle. It would go in the books as the fastest pin for someone. I wonder if it is possibe to give up a pin during the hand shake before the match.

I will throw in some$ to see that! :)  I don't know Dave, Let's see if I can get pinned during the hand shake It is Freestyle- Greco anything can happen ( just please no supes"5 pointers"). Your right I probably shpudn't be getting into a singlet either I will probably scar alot of minds not to mention my son would not be able to go back to school monday morning :o

I will throw in some$ to see that! :)  I don't know Dave, Let's see if I can get pinned during the hand shake It is Freestyle- Greco anything can happen ( just please no supes"5 pointers"). Your right I probably shpudn't be getting into a singlet either I will probably scar alot of minds not to mention my son would not be able to go back to school monday morning :o

I am also guessing that all of you Perry people will see for a fact that the apple did in fact fall a long way from the tree as far as wrestling talent goes in this family. Nick passed me by a LONG time ago. I am guessing by his second year on the mat. Even with my extra weight, I dont think I could take him in a fair match, but I still get to employ "dad" rules which means I get to do whatever I want to keep from getting tossed around by him.

I here ya there, look at Andre he try's to rip my head off now days I stay away from that kid going live. He is walking around at200 and still only 14 when I wrestled as a freshman, I wrestled 112, him 189. He is going to be on another level in a couple of years, I had him up at work with me last night he was throwing up 250 on bench like it was nothing. So don't feel bad.  Remember when I would drill with him before matches, not much any more I will drill but that is about it. Thats why I am thankful for those beasts like Schoettle ;),Gibson,and Tonte. They can have him I still have to work. 

My son Phil Glasser is home this weekend for Easter.  He will be there tomorrow.  He asked me if anyone in the university division would wrestle?  He weighs 195 and would like a few matches.  I will have him bring his gear.  Thanks for all of the info.

Absolutely ridiculous.  I hope that the Club learns from this tournament and we have just done the Greco part.  Freestyle still to come.  We used to go to this tournament a few years ago and it was over crowded, So of course we did not go back.  So we decided this year to give it another try.  When you have a tournament you have to have  a facility large enough to safely handle the crowd you will get.  If you know the time restraints you will have you have to set limits.  I don't think that it is possible to expect people to pay and encourage people to participate in both styles and not finish at a decent hour.  I hope that tomorrow goes better.  I did like that they were using mat side pairings.  Second note,  I married a wrestler we had 2 boys that now wrestle, my husband always told me don't hollar anything unless you know what you are talking about.  I don't know all the rules for wrestling but if you are going to ref then you must know the rules.  If it takes one clinic or more you have to make sure that your refs are knowledgable and have to confidence to make a call knowing that if they were on the mat or their kid was on the mat it would be correct.  NOT the case here.  Your refs can determine whether your tournament is successful. 

The wife of allyourbase,

The Sunkist Kid

Thanks for the support.  As far as facilities, not sure where that is coming from.  Plenty of space for near 300 wrestlers for a friday night greco.  Yes, I said near 300 for a local greco tournament.  The facility is the same one that you visited a few years back.  Did you think they rebuilt the building?  As far as officials, the top dogs don't even have the rules down yet for Greco.  We had 5 blue shirts on 7 surfaces.  The same people who will be at state, so good luck.  In fact, we were informed this AM that one of the rules posted changed since last night.  Greco is ever changing with the new rules.  If you know the greco rules please state them so that I can see where you had a problem. 

As far as problems,  mistakes were made by having weigh ins on friday night.  That will not happen again.  All faxed.  Lets check some numbers.  About a 5 hour tournament for about 300 wrestlers.  Most locals on saturday have been around that amount.  So, if a tournament started at 9 am(which they never do) on a saturday it would have been done at 2 pm.  Not too bad. 

As always, we understand frustrations if things don't go your way.  We hope to better accomadate you in the future.

I would say, it started 45 mins. later than it should have but if you are old school back before people got spoiled by mat side pairing....you remember the days of starting at 9 am at Tech and being done past midnight.  Man, those were the days and there was no website. 

300 wrestlers for a greco tourney and they are done early enough for you to post a complaint by 12:30. I would say that is a pretty decent hour to be done by for that many kids. You have some new rules, which is going to cause things to slow down, with people questioning different parts of the rules changes, and refs doing their best to explain them to coaches and wrestlers. You have manditory rest periods, that towards the end of the event cause people to have to sit around and wait for the clock to move faster. I remember many nights having 2 or more kids in the finals just watching the clock and waiting.

The refs are all volunteers, they attend clinics, they spend more time then most studying the rules book, and then have to try to figure out how that rule change will affect the match. To say they lack confidence and are unknowledgable is an unfair statement. From some of the other posts I see they had 5 of 7 refs that were blue shirts, this is a very high percentage, and one that far exceeds most any other local tourney that I can remember. Most people run a tourney and have 1 to 3 at most, and utilize the high school kids to fill in. These blue shirts are the same refs that are going to be at greco state, and like your wrestler they will have a better understanding of the rules by then, and how they apply them.

As far as facilities go, anytime you put 300 kids, and assuming 1.5 spectators per kid = 450, plus refs = 7, and coaches =50, and tournament officials and workers = 50 that comes to 850-900 people, all trying to be as close to the mats as possible, and all trying to get in and out  the same doors. It is going to be crowded.

The wife of allyourbase, do us a favor and let us  know what tourney your club will be hosting just so we can see how to properly host one. I hope today goes better for you. FYI most of the Perry kids and parents were at the school till after 2 in the morning making sure everything was set up for you today.

Go Falcons

Absolutely ridiculous.  I hope that the Club learns from this tournament and we have just done the Greco part.  Freestyle still to come.  We used to go to this tournament a few years ago and it was over crowded, So of course we did not go back.  So we decided this year to give it another try.  When you have a tournament you have to have  a facility large enough to safely handle the crowd you will get.  If you know the time restraints you will have you have to set limits.  I don't think that it is possible to expect people to pay and encourage people to participate in both styles and not finish at a decent hour.  I hope that tomorrow goes better.  I did like that they were using mat side pairings.  Second note,  I married a wrestler we had 2 boys that now wrestle, my husband always told me don't hollar anything unless you know what you are talking about.  I don't know all the rules for wrestling but if you are going to ref then you must know the rules.  If it takes one clinic or more you have to make sure that your refs are knowledgable and have to confidence to make a call knowing that if they were on the mat or their kid was on the mat it would be correct.  NOT the case here.  Your refs can determine whether your tournament is successful. 

The wife of allyourbase,

The Sunkist Kid

Lets Have a Poll. Well done men!!  You can't please all the people all the time. I was there until 1:30 Am  No big deal. The Compitition was Great !!! 8)

I wasn't complaining about the number of wrestlers last night.  I was just stating that from most tournaments I was gauging the freestyle numbers to be more than what they were today.  (from the tournaments we  have attended thus far.)  I was going to make sure I posted a comment today after attending freestyle.  It WAS ran VERY WELL.  Blue shirt refs were a lot better today,  some of the young kids were not (yes, I understand that will happen).  I do understand that everyone volunteers,  I have done this before.  I have been a coach for over 14 years strictly volunteer. (other sports of course)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.