Metcalf apologizes! Sort of

KarlHungus

Brent Metcalf's statement:

"I would like to extend an apology to Darrion Caldwell, his family, the NCAA and the wrestling community for my actions in the NCAA title match. I certainly had no malicious intent. With five seconds left in the match, I was attempting to finish to the end, as I've always been trained to do. In a split second after the whistle, my momentum carried me into Darrion's celebratory back flip. My reaction was a result of self defense and partly, frustration. I want to extend my congratulations to Darrion for his championship."

take away the first sentence and it sounds nothing like an apology...but oh well im over it

I agree...He certainly didn't look like he was finishing to the end when he was flat on the mat broken just seconds earlier.

he should have just said something like this "sorry i was embarassed because i thought i was better than everyone" but again i really dont care, i dont think it was as bad as it looked and everyone knows why he did it, i would argue what he said after his semi match was a little worse sportsmanship than the shove, cant wait to see these two next year

Caldwell said during his press conference that he would like to take a redshirt next year and possibly go up two classes.

He also said that he would like to wrestle in April so maybe we will see another matchup then.  Although it will be in a different style.

he should have just said something like this "sorry i was embarassed because i thought i was better than everyone" but again i really dont care, i dont think it was as bad as it looked and everyone knows why he did it, i would argue what he said after his semi match was a little worse sportsmanship than the shove, cant wait to see these two next year

I agree.  His comments after the semi were a touch uncalled for.  I think he thought he had the championship in the bag but apparently Mr. Caldwell had other plans.  Good example to show your kids of how anyone can be beaten on any given day.  Now, can we talk about class wrestling on this thread?

Let us not forget, this is a young man that makes young man mistakes. If we the American public can forgive some of the crap that has gone on in the professional sports ranks and still flock to the stadiums, I think we ought to find it in our hearts to forgive a true champion for reacting poorly in an intense situation.

I agree the wrestling public would be much more forgiving if he just came out and said he lost it rather then saying he was wrestling until the end.  Charles Barkley is forgiven after a life time of bad decisions because he owns up to them.  Roger Clemens and A-Rod....not so much.

I was present.

After Metcalf got taken down TWICE in the first period, it was so loud a deaf man could have heard the screams.  I thought it was going to be like last year: Metcalf would pour it on and win by a lot, but it never happened!  After Caldwell got his final takedown, everyone pretty well knew it was over.  It was truly one of the most electrifying and exciting things that i have ever seen!  One of those times when the hair on the back of your neck stands up and you talk about it the rest of the night!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.