Random thoughts

snoopy

???Ramblings from a nonsensical mind

1. Why are open gyms at 3:30/5:30 when kids are in baseball or track? Maybe 6:30!

2. How do you tell the prospect why there are sectional banners from all the stick

and ball sports but not from track and wrestling.

3. When was the last time you were asked what was needed, before it was a yes/no vote?

4. When was the last time you were asked about a national rule change before it went into effect?

5. How many officials catch the disc, then show us, rather than let it land?

6. How many times do you see ?the trained staff?, texting while scoring or timing?

7. How many think that local tournaments, many times, can be run more efficiently by humans than a computer?

8. How many would like to see the coaches setting in the stands and see what the athletes really know during a dual meet?

9. How would you like to start on the 10? circle and have it be an automatic stalling warning for a step backward?

10. Many of us go to the individual state. How many go to the team state that are not directly related to one of the teams?

1. Why are open gyms at 3:30/5:30 when kids are in baseball or track? Maybe 6:30!  It is more convenient for one sport coach and athletes

2. How do you tell the prospect why there are sectional banners from all the stick

and ball sports but not from track and wrestling.  This is an individual sport...work harder

3. When was the last time you were asked what was needed, before it was a yes/no vote?  Rarely if ever.

4. When was the last time you were asked about a national rule change before it went into effect?  Never

5. How many officials catch the disc, then show us, rather than let it land?  Not an official

6. How many times do you see “the trained staff”, texting while scoring or timing?  More than I would like

7. How many think that local tournaments, many times, can be run more efficiently by humans than a computer?  Y2 is a human computer

8. How many would like to see the coaches setting in the stands and see what the athletes really know during a dual meet?  I often sit buddha like.... meditating.

9. How would you like to start on the 10’ circle and have it be an automatic stalling warning for a step backward?  Works for me

10. Many of us go to the individual state. How many go to the team state that are not directly related to one of the teams?  never been to team, I coach middle school too.

1.  I've found it is easier to get kids to come to open mats when it is right after school.  Those in baseball and track should be focusing on those sports.  Plus, it is very difficult for those kids to go through 2 practices in a row.  The kids not in a spring sport are the ones that need something productive to do after school.

2.  Just tell them that you haven't won Sectionals yet, but will win it if everyone keeps working hard and improving.  If your school has won Sectionals and doesn't have a banner like the other sports, then that is something that needs to be addressed with the school and athletic department.

3.  Coaches who are involved at the state level do get asked.  Coaches who are not involved at the state level usually don't hear about the issues until it's time for a vote.  This is something that can be improved upon.

4.  National rule changes are made by the national federation.  They do their own research, which is quite extensive.

5.  Does it matter?  Whatever the official likes to do is fine, as long as it's fair.

6.  I only notice those things when it causes a problem during a match.  It's simply a matter of the workers understanding what their responsibilities are.

7.  Depends on the resources that the local tournament has.  If they have computer access then it can be very efficient.  Without computer access, then they need a large enough staff of workers to make it work.

8.  Coaches have a pretty good seat at the edge of the mat.  We just need to try to see the big picture while still focusing on the individual match.

9.  Automatic stalling calls are a dangerous thing because they don't allow any judgement from the official.  Different circumstances need some flexibilty for a variety of situations.

10.  I always go to individual state.  I've been to team state without being involved in the past, but the last 2 years I have not mostly because of excellent updates and videos on the internet.

2.  Just tell them that you haven't won Sectionals yet, but will win it if everyone keeps working hard and improving.  If your school has won Sectionals and doesn't have a banner like the other sports, then that is something that needs to be addressed with the school and athletic department.

I wonder how well this works at LaVille High School when they have Mishawaka, Penn and South Bend Riley in their sectional.  I'm guessing a coach might lose credibility pretty fast saying that.

9. How would you like to start on the 10? circle and have it be an automatic stalling warning for a step backward?

What I would like to see is having a middle circle, with an outter circle.  Kind of like a warning track that's in baseball, or the passivity zone back in the day from freestyle.  Anytime a wrestler enters this "warning" zone, he has 5 seconds (or whatever) to circle out of this zone.  If he doesn't, he gets dinged for stalling.

:o But Greco:

1. Then I get told I'm not doing my job getting them in for RTC and in freestyle and on traveling teams.

2. We got the banners they all have a 1A on them.

3-4. Been pretty well known for years.

5. Watch do they hold it up after palming it, or turn it over on the other hand. Pay attention. I never catch mine,      everybody knows for sure.

8. You should know all wrestling used to be that way. My first sectional  the coaches were in the stands. Yes, I officiated greco when coaches were not at mats edge. Then they were at mats edge and could encourage but not coach. That was rough internationally.

9. Never saw contact from a 10' circle starting with a backstep. A lot of setups from the close lines which makes it harder.

Okay snoopy, you got me.  I thought that by posing these as questions, you were hoping for honest, relevant responses.  Now that I see that you were trying to prove a point with these questions, my answers weren't very helpful at all.  I don't coach at a small school so there is no way I could possibly understand your circumstances with the school, wrestlers, and community.  I'm also not old enough to have been around when coaches were not allowed to coach their wrestlers on the mat - I've only heard stories of that - and this is the first time I've ever heard a coach infer that it was better the "old way".

I wonder how well this works at LaVille High School when they have Mishawaka, Penn and South Bend Riley in their sectional.  I'm guessing a coach might lose credibility pretty fast saying that.

You can't entice your kids on individual sectional championships? Or would that be good for class wrestling argument?

At my school, we have the students 24/7 and they are on a schedule.  There is no other time available, thus the need for having so many days scheduled a week.  There will be rainouts this season and we will be having the room open during those.  Plus, our weekend time is there to accomodate those who can't get in during the week.  Feel free to email me for more info.

1. Why are open gyms at 3:30/5:30 when kids are in baseball or track? Maybe 6:30!

and ball sports but not from track and wrestling.

3. When was the last time you were asked what was needed, before it was a yes/no vote?

4. When was the last time you were asked about a national rule change before it went into effect?

5. How many officials catch the disc, then show us, rather than let it land?

6. How many times do you see the trained staff, texting while scoring or timing?

7. How many think that local tournaments, many times, can be run more efficiently by humans than a computer?

8. How many would like to see the coaches setting in the stands and see what the athletes really know during a dual meet?

9. How would you like to start on the 10 circle and have it be an automatic stalling warning for a step backward?

10. Many of us go to the individual state. How many go to the team state that are not directly related to one of the teams?

2.  Just tell them that you haven't won Sectionals yet, but will win it if everyone keeps working hard and improving.  If your school has won Sectionals and doesn't have a banner like the other sports, then that is something that needs to be addressed with the school and athletic department.

You can't entice your kids on individual sectional championships? Or would that be good for class wrestling argument?

You don't earn banners for individual sectional championships.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.