What I See As Benefit To Class Wrestling

1oldwrestler

Your not scared of the people thats the problem.  The people can make changes and we will see come the next election if class wrestling is changed.  I will personally get all the information from each school district to make sure changes do occur.  So Karl we are not powerless in this situation and its people like you who try and stiffle the publics voice and its people like you who are out for thier own personal gains not the gains of indiana wrestling.  Classing it is looked down on by the people and classing the sport will agrivate the fans.  So I am taking a personal stance that changes in the current system at the current time will have repercutions at the next election cycle.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your not scared of the people thats the problem.  The people can make changes and we will see come the next election if class wrestling is changed.  I will personally get all the information from each school district to make sure changes do occur.  So Karl we are not powerless in this situation and its people like you who try and stiffle the publics voice and its people like you who are out for thier own personal gains not the gains of indiana wrestling.  Classing it is looked down on by the people and classing the sport will agrivate the fans.  So I am taking a personal stance that changes in the current system at the current time will have repercutions at the next election cycle.

What planet are you from?  I merely told you how the system works and how the system did not save one class basketball.  If the IHSAA decides to class wrestling they will do it with the support of high school adminstrators and coaches.  You can mount all the protest you want but I since the protest did not work for basketball, I doubt it would for wrestling.

How am I stiffling the publics voice?  You keep making points like this and I honestly have no clue as to what you are talking about? 

Is it possible in the world you live in for people to have different opinions on an issue without making assumptions as to the motives?  Y2 and I have consistantly stated that we think class wrestling would be beneficial for wrestling in the state as a whole.  Why do you attack this by saying we want it only for personal gains?  I have not attacked any of your motives for wanting a single class, I only disagree with them. 

I want 20 coaches that wouldn't be effected by the change to say that class wrestling would in fact help the sport.  Its taking away from the state tournement and the competition your wrestlers get to face.  It also would hurt because people would push for individual classes and that would diminish the compition at both states.  The system is great how we have it were succeeding at record levels lets keep it this way for a lil while and see if we peak.  If we did and you want to switch stuff arround i could see considering it but lets not just throw away are current system when its working.

I want 20 coaches that wouldn't be effected by the change to say that class wrestling would in fact help the sport.  Its taking away from the state tournement and the competition your wrestlers get to face.  It also would hurt because people would push for individual classes and that would diminish the compition at both states.  The system is great how we have it were succeeding at record levels lets keep it this way for a lil while and see if we peak.  If we did and you want to switch stuff arround i could see considering it but lets not just throw away are current system when its working.

The last time it was brought up by the coach's association, 90% of the coaches voted for a change to class wrestling.  I assume there were 20 coaches in that voting bloc that would not be affected by the change.

I would argue that wrestling is not succeeding at record levels at the small schools and to blame this on coaches not working hard enough is a cop out.

I would say at the college level we have never had this much top level success.  We had 3 in the top 4 in the nation.  Thats 3 40th of the college wrestlers.  Thats almost ten percent which is well above what we should have as a state.  If you go down to top eight we had 5 I believe which would still be above where we should be as a state.  Next year we will be just as competitive also.  Howe, Humphreys, Escobedo, Kinser and the list continues.  Lets face it were getting to be as good as we have ever been and lets not change it if its not broken.

I would say at the college level we have never had this much top level success.  We had 3 in the top 4 in the nation.  Thats 3 40th of the college wrestlers.  Thats almost ten percent which is well above what we should have as a state.  If you go down to top eight we had 5 I believe which would still be above where we should be as a state.  Next year we will be just as competitive also.  Howe, Humphreys, Escobedo, Kinser and the list continues.  Lets face it were getting to be as good as we have ever been and lets not change it if its not broken.

I would argue that wrestling as a sport is broken in large numbers of small schools throughout the state.

I would argue that large numbers of big schools are broken as well.  The same problems happen at big schools and small.  Its rediculous that small schools cop out on the truth.  Numbers can be hard to get at all schools unless you have dedicated individuals trying to make the sport better in the communities.

I would argue that large numbers of big schools are broken as well.  The same problems happen at big schools and small.  Its rediculous that small schools cop out on the truth.  Numbers can be hard to get at all schools unless you have dedicated individuals trying to make the sport better in the communities.

You want to fix a broken program and make it a state champion contender....

Do you pick

A.  Eastside High School

B.  Fort Wayne Northrop

No the bigger schools just have better programs set up wrestling has been behind basketball forever in indiana and its not goign to change over night.  bigger schools jsut took advantage quicker and are reaping the rewards for the time being parity takes years but its obtainable through hard work and good coaching.  Just ask mr goble and his 10 rings or whatever he has.

Im not familiar with the schools but if there both broke I take the one with community envolvement.  If niether of them have it then i start it and I am sure both districts have the atheletes to progress into great teams.

OK then how bout these 2

A. Triton

B. Warsaw

No the bigger schools just have better programs set up wrestling has been behind basketball forever in indiana and its not goign to change over night.  bigger schools jsut took advantage quicker and are reaping the rewards for the time being parity takes years but its obtainable through hard work and good coaching.  Just ask mr goble and his 10 rings or whatever he has.

11 years worth of data shows that big schools get 3X more kids to state.  Please explain that in your infinite wisdom.

Well probably triton because I am here and I no what we need to make a great team and i am ready to work for it.  My kids are not great wrestlers but there  on the right path.  Warsaw would be a challange just like triton but I have seen the triton community with basketball and I know wrestling can follow.

My wisdom comes from the fact that wrestling in indiana has had matre dei win more state title in that time then anyone.  Small schools with good programs can compete u just hav to want it more.  Most of these teams at state have a certain style they all wrestle.  Its a lot to do with coaching and community.  Matre dei wrestle long and there stances are all the same, a lot of teams ride legs, and a lot of teams use wierd cheap tilts.  When the whole team has a good style they can be tough to beat.

Well probably triton because I am here and I no what we need to make a great team and i am ready to work for it.  My kids are not great wrestlers but there  on the right path.  Warsaw would be a challange just like triton but I have seen the triton community with basketball and I know wrestling can follow.

My wisdom comes from the fact that wrestling in indiana has had matre dei win more state title in that time then anyone.  Small schools with good programs can compete u just hav to want it more.  Most of these teams at state have a certain style they all wrestle.  Its a lot to do with coaching and community.  Matre dei wrestle long and there stances are all the same, a lot of teams ride legs, and a lot of teams use wierd cheap tilts.  When the whole team has a good style they can be tough to beat.

Good luck.  I'm done for the day, getting ready to drive some kids to an open room an hour away so I can pat myself on the back some more.

Well probably triton because I am here and I no what we need to make a great team and i am ready to work for it. My kids are not great wrestlers but there on the right path. Warsaw would be a challange just like triton but I have seen the triton community with basketball and I know wrestling can follow.

My wisdom comes from the fact that wrestling in indiana has had matre dei win more state title in that time then anyone. Small schools with good programs can compete u just hav to want it more. Most of these teams at state have a certain style they all wrestle. Its a lot to do with coaching and community. Matre dei wrestle long and there stances are all the same, a lot of teams ride legs, and a lot of teams use wierd cheap tilts. When the whole team has a good style they can be tough to beat.

You mean the Triton basketball team that had one sectional championship in single class basketball and six in 11 years of class basketball?

You mean the Triton basketball team that had one regional championship in single class basketball and three in in 11 years of class basketball?

You mean the Triton basketball team that had zero semi-state championships in single class basketball and two in in 11 years of class basketball?

You mean the Triton basketball team that had zero state championships in single class basketball and one(going for two) in in 11 years of class basketball?

Did the classing make us a better team no it just made our competition worse.  Its not like we really accomplished anything near our one regional championship team and I would gareentee the regional champion team would have beaten any of our other squads.  Worse compitition and better results did not make our team better in fact it probably made it worse.  To be tested is better for highschool sports then anything else.  I think one of the biggest benifits in wrestling is that the current system test your ability to succeed under pressure and lets you no what your capable of.  Its no fun to blow out people I would rather loose by two to a great team then blow out a crappy team by thirty.  Just my opinion.

So the fan base is probably less now correct?  I bet no one goes to their games since they face lesser competition, right?  I bet that state championship trophy they won last year is in some storage closet at Triton too, since they didn't face the best competition to win it.

Well our fan base is not what to look at look at the states overal fan base and they have yet to even come close to full recovery of the class system.  Your arguement of this is simply false on a whole it hurt and on a whole it will hurt wrestling.  To tell the truth if you said I am out to win a title any wya i can i would have a lot more respect for you.  So say it and i won't hold anything against u.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.