Congrats Perry Meridian!

schaeferboy06

I Just want to say congrats for making it to the finals and especially for putting up one hell of a fight with Crown Point. I believe you held your own against a stacked team with 3 state champs and with 5 kids ranked in the top 2 in the final rankings, especially since only we had three kids place and none were above 6th. I also want to give some love to my younger brothers Chris and Devin Schaefer, Chris you did great today beating 2 state qualifiers, although you didnt make it to ind. state you have had a tremendous career thanks for the memories and good luck next year. Devin you still have room to grow keep your head up, you also won a huge match to help get your team to the finals. Perry ya'll did a great job all year long, and im already looking forward to next year.

Denver Schaefer

I agree that it was a total class move to continue to wrestle and not take the easy way out at 140. Doing things the right way and accepting victory or defeat is great statement of the character of both the Castle coach and his team. All too often we see the win at all costs attitude and fail to see the greater lesson learned by consistantly displaying integrity and I thank Coach Harmon and Chad Welch for wrestling the right way. With that said, had Chad not been able to continue, Castle would have wound up with a total of 25 instead of 23 points (Welch scored a major decision and would have been awarded a disqulification; 6 points rather than 4). Had this happened, our 103-pounder Jared McKinley would have gone for the fall and I am fairly confident he would have gotten it. This would have put the score tied at 25 and the decision would have gone to criteria. Neither team was penalized for misconduct, the matches were tied at 7 each, each team would have had 1 6-point match (Welch by DQ and McKinley by fall), neither team had a tech fall, each team would have had 1 major decision. The 6th criteria is most first points scored. Perry Meridian scored 15 first points (takedowns at 103, 112, 119, 125, 140, 215, 285 and an escape at 152). Castle scored 10 first points (takedowns at 135, 171, 189, reversal at 130 and escapes at 145 and 160). So Perry Meridian would still have won. It would have just been even closer. Congratulations to Castle on an outstanding season. You did what no other team had done...knocked Mater Dei out of the team state finals. Best of luck on a return trip.

Both of the Welch brothers impressed me both on the mat and off all season long, but never more than last Saturday.  They took the mantel of Team Leaders through out the day by performing on the mats and leading the cheering section from the bench. 

Two fine young men, from a great family, who show maturity beyond their age. 

I honestly can't remember the last time, if ever, a Castle Wrestler took a DQ win in a situation like this.  I am not saying it hasn't ever happened, I just don't recall it ever being done.

Lol if he has the guys leg and arm, then the hold is legal.. If the guys air is getting blocked that's a situation where it's collateral damage.. Its already established that if the guy would've not been able to wrestle, then mckinley would've eventually gotten the pin, an perry wins by criteria

Thorton I will give you a wahoo for the break down.That breakdown also sound real familiar like 2 years ago with Bellmont but we didn't have the most first points scored.I didn't get the chance to watch Castle this year beside at both states and they have a great team.Is Castle a young team?

Them boys in the south ain't no joke they put up a fight til the end. I think everyone in the state underestimated Castle, especially us Perry fans, thinking that we would blow right through you, but we sure as hell thought wrong. And Castle's fans were amazing, they had that gym rockin!!!

Lol if he has the guys leg and arm, then the hold is legal.. If the guys air is getting blocked that's a situation where it's collateral damage.. Its already established that if the guy would've not been able to wrestle, then mckinley would've eventually gotten the pin, an perry wins by criteria

I can still cut off your air by putting my forearm across your throat, and that as illegal. 

OK.  Well I probably couldn't cut off your air Chico.

Great dual. 

lol good one. Like I said, collateral damage. The head lock has to have an arm and head to be legal. Once the head and arm are locked up that's that. And that is LEGAL

Chico.......I cant believe you even saw the match, you were too busy giving verbal assaults to the Castle bench

The only wrestler Chico was talking to was the Castle 189, the only reason was because at the scorer's table after the match he pointed and Chico and said something. JMO but that is the last person I would want to point and taunt, but thats just me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.