House Bill 1733 - has been eliminated

billy barty

Received the same note from my teacher's union.

HB 1733  DOE control of athletics.  Died on the calendar.  We had been watching this one carefully. It would have given the DOE control of interscholastic athletics rather than the IHSAA.

By what my union president stated I think the ISTA (Indiana State Teacher's Association) probably would have fought the passing of the bill.

My union rep sent me that update, too.

Hopefully this will be a wake-up call to the IHSAA that they are supposed to represent the athletic community and what is in the best interest of the student-athletes.  Dropping the bill before they vote may have been a very smart move, because if it had gone to vote and been overwhelmingly rejected, then the IHSAA may have felt that they are doing nothing wrong.  At least this way, they know that people are upset with their practices and that there are options available to us.

Don't jump don my throat for what I'm about to write but I think it would be a mistake to dissolve the IHSAA.  I really don't know what the biggest issues are in this debate but from following the posts on this site, it seems the biggest complaint with the IHSAA is when kids move from one district to the next for, apparently, reasons of athletics and then they suspend or don't suspend the kid from athletic competition.  Also, they won't allow wrestlebacks at SS or state (something I think should be allowed) in our sport, and I'm sure the list could go on and on.  I guess looking at it as a non-expert, I would be worried to hand over h.s. sports oversite to the DOE.  I just don't have enough faith in that organization and I guess it's a case of "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't."  Certainly the IHSAA can do a much better job especially in it's dealings with h.s. wrestling, i.e., get someone in there that understands the sport a little bit, but to get rid of it altogether would, IMO, be a bad idea.

the example of the ihsaa losing every court case( eligibilty)  is just the example i used. there is a remedy in court for those cases. the fact they lose them all shows they are either unwilling to listen to the cases or possibility incompetent. i think it is the first. when they vote down every motion made by a group like the ihswca there is no legal recourse. could the DOE do better , i doubt they could do worse. if the ihsaa was showing signs of being responsive in it's dealings with groups or individuals i would agree to let it run it's course but the fact is they are not. i would like to think this is a message to them but i do not really believe they took it that way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.