IU recruiting

12ozCurl

After looking at the signings page, I notice that many of indiana's finest are going to purdue.  Why hasn't IU gotten on top of this and recruited more of these guys?  As far as i can tell from their website, and this one, brooks is the only indiana wrestler they have so far.

Because Purdue is the school to go for academics and athletics. Hinkel has started the beginning of something special up there. He is recruiting great kids to a great institution. Looking forward to seeing his next top notch recruiting class in black and gold.

Because Purdue is the school to go for academics and athletics. Hinkel has started the beginning of something special up there. He is recruiting great kids to a great institution. Looking forward to seeing his next top notch recruiting class in black and gold.

Well said!! ;D

I think IU is doing ok. They have a few IN born and bred on the squad. Angel, Andre, Walpole, Kelly, Kinser, Young, Powless, including a few that arent varsity....Viterisi, Samuels, Coughlin, and Alex Warren. Needless to say they have some of Indiana's best in the line up and wating in the wings. They beat Purdue recently like 21-12 also, so ther edge goes to IU in my book.

As a current IU student, i disagree with your statement.  Purdue is not the place to go for academics unless you are seeking and ag/engineering/nursing degree.  IU's kelly school of business is one of the top in the  country, and has better liberal arts programs than purdue.  I know a lot of current guys on the squad are from Indiana, but i guess my question is about this year...as far as i can tell brooks is the only indiana guy right now who is committed. 

Keep in mind there is only so much money and so much room on the roster to go around.

Division 1 wrestling only gets 9 scholarships per team. This is something that I have never been able to understand since it takes 10 men to complete a full team. Most of the time those 9 scholarships are broken into partial scholarships. For example, they will make up the difference between whatever financial aid the wrestler qualifies for with a partial scholarship. This practice accounts for all those "full rides" you hear about.

So, if a particular school is out of money and they have 4-197lbers they probably aren't going to recruit a 197lber too hard.  Then the get a "bad rap" for not recruiting Indiana kids.

Keep in mind there is only so much money and so much room on the roster to go around.

Division 1 wrestling only gets 9 scholarships per team. This is something that I have never been able to understand since it takes 10 men to complete a full team. Most of the time those 9 scholarships are broken into partial scholarships. For example, they will make up the difference between whatever financial aid the wrestler qualifies for with a partial scholarship. This practice accounts for all those "full rides" you hear about.

So, if a particular school is out of money and they have 4-197lbers they probably aren't going to recruit a 197lber too hard.  Then the get a "bad rap" for not recruiting Indiana kids.

D1 Wrestling gets 9 full scholarships/ 10 are starters

D1 Football gets 85 full scholarships/ 24 are starters

In DII wrestling scholarships vary from school to school... UINDY has like 3/4 and Ashland has 7/8... depends on the school

As a current IU student, i disagree with your statement.  Purdue is not the place to go for academics unless you are seeking and ag/engineering/nursing degree.  IU's kelly school of business is one of the top in the  country, and has better liberal arts programs than purdue.  I know a lot of current guys on the squad are from Indiana, but i guess my question is about this year...as far as i can tell brooks is the only indiana guy right now who is committed. 

According to the U.S. News and World Report:

Purdue is ranked 66th among all universities in the United States.

IU is ranked 71st.

IU's business school is not in the top ten of all business schools.

Purdue is ranked tenth in engineering.

;)

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college/index.html

TCboiler, you are wrong.... according to http://www.kelley.iu.edu/about/rankings.html, the kelly school of business is ranked 6th overall among public business schools in the entire country, and has a few programs through the business school in the top 5.  On this website, http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/index.html, they are ranked 15th overall(including all private schools such as harvard and MIT).  And as a current kelley student, i do know that they have a placement rate of 98% within three months out of school, and 100% for 6 months.

On another note, I am not down grading purdue, they do have great programs in their top programs, i was just trying to prove that IU is very good academically.

I agree IU is very good academically.  However, I'm not wrong in what I was said.  I was just quoting one study done on such things.  Different sources will give you varying rankings.  IU and Purdue will always be rivals in athletics and academics.  I am just glad we have two fine institutions in Indiana that we can compare, and fight about.  :)

An IU grad and a Purdue grad were standing on opposite banks of the White River late one evening.  The Purdue grad yells over "Swim across, the current is not bad".  The IU grad responds "I can't swim".  The Purdue grad turns on his flash light and yells "Walk across on the flash light beam".  The IU grad, having none of that, yells back "Oh no, you won't get me on that.  You'll just turn the light off when I am halfway across."

Doesn't Iowa get more scholarships than other D1 colleges?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.