My thoughts on Evansville Semi State

Eleanor

Overall it was a very good day of wrestling. I was very impressed with the Ritchey brothers from Brown County. I have never seen a 130lb and 135lb wrestler so big in my life! Both look like they are at least 152lbs! Runyan was doing what he does, sticking everyone in his path (Except Jones in the final)

I wish Griesemer would of punched his ticket to state but Fisher had his number today. Stein had a nice win at 152, which was well earned. Kolb being out definitely changed a lot of things at this weight.

The hotdogs were great and wrestling was good. I wish all the state qualifiers the best of luck next week at Conseco!

what an extremely rough day at the office for blain hall he got a very bad draw with francisco losing in semi's at regional

Yes I agree... Very tough for Michael Brown (Castle) also!

Colon is very good I really thought he would win against Fisher but Fisher pulled out a big win!

My notes on the day....

103 Boomsma looks strong. Kuhn looked tentative, wish he could steady out some bcuz we've seen better from him

112 Tough for Brown and Girz. I had Colon winning, so another suprise their.

119 Johns looked SOLID over Raley. Hope is draw works out bcuz he could do some damage

125 Did not see this one coming. I had Van Horn and Martin stole the show, congrats to him (peaking at the right time)

130/135 Richeys- What can you say. They looked tough. Dehaven had a hard road there. 2 tough matches b4 the final.

140 Simms takes it but coasted late. Wish he could revitalize some MD magic and hit one more takedown to "seal" it.

145 Zeke starts strong but gave up late points in the 1st that came back to haunt him. Preston is tough on top though!!

152 Stein the "baby-faced killer" gets it done once again. Weiss/Petti match was a bit sketchy @ the end

160 Runyan- billy bad a$$

171 Wedding mowed down Mappes convincingly and beat the field on one leg

189 Stevens in a looooong overtime match. I went and got dip-n-dots and they were still at it ...

215 HOLY COW! Robison ran into a buzz-saw. I'd like to saw he got caught, but I dont know. Pin early for Brownsburg kid

285 White looked solid over a monster of a man in Gill, then got some help when Richey beat Clark late. But White gets a 9-0 major and looked great in-front of a few diehards.

Overall a good day. Officiating was PAR. The day was waayy tooo loong, but I like the format.

I was off on a lot of my picks becuase there were not too many dominate wrestlers here, but that being said this semi state may not have a ton of champs but there will be a ton of place winners at state. 

There are a few state champion possibilities still with Johns/Raley, Runyan, Wedding, White,

if you ask me I thought the finals were BORING,and what in the world happened to all the fans. I bet you there were maybe 3500-4000 tops in the 1st round and maybe just maybe 500 for the finals.but the 1st 2 rds were GREAT.

if you ask me I thought the finals were BORING,and what in the world happened to all the fans. I bet you there were maybe 3500-4000 tops in the 1st round and maybe just maybe 500 for the finals.but the 1st 2 rds were GREAT.

Attendance totals will be low compared to recent years I'm sure. MD losing 6 of 8 matches in the ticket round would be probably the reason why there were less. A very long day. Thank goodness for keeping 4 mats going through the semi's.  ;D Valentines Day and wrestling going into the dinner hours probably also had a little to do with it also. I was disappointed in the finals crowd compared to the last few years. As far as the finals being boring, one particular match kept me very stressed but happy and very proud.  ;) Thank you son.  8)

It was an incredibly long day, but it was a long day involved in something I truly love so I am not about to complain about it.

I do want to take a second and thank those who took the time to answer my challenge to introduce themselves and support the local wrestlers!  It was truly great to meet you and to have your support for the local kids!  Your kind words and the great converstations were a highlight to the day!

I hope to meet even more of you in Indy!!!

I would like to take my hat off to Evansville Centrals 112lbs Leimkuehler knocking of first seed Miracle to bad he is a Senior and lost in the ticket round against the Pike Central Kid! I watched him from the beginning of the season and i thought he really turned it on at the end! Congrats kid

Any suggestions (reasonable ones, that is) for speeding things up at E'ville would be appreciated.  It didn't seem there were as  many pins in the first two rounds as in past years.  That slowed things down.  The decision to use four mats for the semi-finals was made on the fly and, I think, was a very good one.  We got out about an hour later than last year.  I thought that was pretty good.  I'm not sure what else we could have done to make things run faster.  Cutting down on the length of the breaks is always an option but you need some time for the officials and table workers to catch their breath, go potty, and stretch their legs. 

Mr. Heckman,

I thought you guys did the best with what you had to work with. The decision to stay on 4 mats is what kept us close to on schedule. Like you said, I don't know what else could be done to speed it up. We all just have to understand if we take 4 from regionals, this is the way SS has to be. And YES refs & table help deserve their potty breaks! Great tournament Tom!

Any suggestions (reasonable ones, that is) for speeding things up at E'ville would be appreciated.   It didn't seem there were as  many pins in the first two rounds as in past years.  That slowed things down.  The decision to use four mats for the semi-finals was made on the fly and, I think, was a very good one.  We got out about an hour later than last year.  I thought that was pretty good.  I'm not sure what else we could have done to make things run faster.  Cutting down on the length of the breaks is always an option but you need some time for the officials and table workers to catch their breath, go potty, and stretch their legs.   

The first round starting at 9 am and ending (literally) at 12:30 is where the issue resides.   Personally I have NO problem with it since it indicates the quality of the wrestling in this Semi State.  

Through Out the day Mat II was consistantly a few matches behind the rest, but once again that would indicate the hard fought wrestling through the day.   Mat II was the sight of MANY of the best matches for the day.

We also had a TON of Overtime matches...That is to be expected also at this level.

Doesn't anyone in the Evansville area know how to post results with the scores of the matches on them?  I would think it would be up to the host school's athletic director to appoint this task to someone, or the host school's coach.  Wrestling is not going to be able to gain it it's popularity if we cannot follow it throughout the state.  At least your semi-state posted something, although not acceptable in my opinion.  I don't know why the region and the Ft. Wayne area bothers to post anything, if it is not recipricated by the mid-state and southern state schools.

Many kudoos to AndrewGoul and Denny Miesle for the fabulus posting they provided on the Ft. Wayne9

Woodlan semi-state.

The New Castle semi-state hasn't posted notta, which is shameful, for a semi-state of that importance.

Doesn't anyone in the Evansville area know how to post results with the scores of the matches on them?  I would think it would be up to the host school's athletic director to appoint this task to someone, or the host school's coach.  Wrestling is not going to be able to gain it it's popularity if we cannot follow it throughout the state.   At least your semi-state posted something, although not acceptable in my opinion.  I don't know why the region and the Ft. Wayne area bothers to post anything, if it is not recipricated by the mid-state and southern state schools.

Many kudoos to AndrewGoul and Denny Miesle for the fabulus posting they provided on the Ft. Wayne9

Woodlan semi-state.

The New Castle semi-state hasn't posted notta, which is shameful, for a semi-state of that importance.

One Word - BRAN

Work it into your diet and you will feel better...

The guys and ladies from Evansville did a great job at Roberts on Saturday.  The decision to keep three mats on the floor for the Semi-finals was a wise one.  I don't think that anyone realized how much longer the first round would take...but basically, it is like the first round of the state finals and that comes very close to taking four hours to wrestle.  It is two full dual meets with a lot of great competition and very few falls.  Was a little disappointed with the fan turnout (mainly for the final round) and knowing how romantic most wrestlers and fans are, one would think that Valentines Day would be a great night out for the wives and girlfriends!! 

I am sure that all of the semi-states and their tourney directors (as well as the IHSAA) were taking notes and will make some adjustments for the tourneys in the future.     

Whomever was in charge of  the event made a MAJOR mistake by bumping the 189 class out of order.  No good explanation was ever given except Castle had 3 matches in a row and the change of time/order was to accomodate them.  If this is TRUE, the person in charge should be penalized for an obvious poor decision.  If it is not true, please post why the 189 class was asked to wrestle out of order with no advance warning.

I was not aware that happened.  Not that I doubt what you're saying.  It was a crazy day and several things occurred that were new.  We were trying to adjust on the fly to make things run as smooth as possible.  The only thing I can think of would be if someone was having an issue as far as their 45-min. time requirement or if one mat was finishing way early.  But I really don't know.

Whomever was in charge of  the event made a MAJOR mistake by bumping the 189 class out of order.  No good explanation was ever given except Castle had 3 matches in a row and the change of time/order was to accomodate them.  If this is TRUE, the person in charge should be penalized for an obvious poor decision.  If it is not true, please post why the 189 class was asked to wrestle out of order with no advance warning.

This did happen and I was shocked because there couldn't of been a time issue. There was an announcement made and it went from around 130 or 135 to 189, I believe.

Just curious also.

After speaking with a few Coaches, "through the grapevine"  it was stated that this was done to accomodate one team's Coaches.  If this is true in any facet, then the director should be reprimanded by the IHSAA.  That is the most ridiculous explanation one could present.  If it is not true, please present the real reason why the match was moved.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.