My thoughts on Evansville Semi State

Eleanor

It was a great tournament ,  and it seemed to run smoothly.  I didn't have enough time to run to the men's restroom , and grab a coke and some popcorn for the kids , and get back to my seat before the next round.  With all of the talent that was there , I could have stayed there all night.  It was incredible , and my kids loved the sound and light show as well..  GREAT JOB !!!!!

Did the 189 matches actually get wrestled out of order?  It was announced that the 189's would be wrestling next (out of order) but then I thought they stuck to the correct order anyway.

The semi-finals definitely should be run on four mats.  The one change I would make for next year is make the semi-finals a next-available-mat format.  With just two matches per weight class the heavier weights can get out their pretty quick if there are a lot of pins and the 45 minute issue could come into play.  Also, it was tough to keep up when each mat skipped a weight.  However, keep the first and second round as it is with the match order predetermined.

Wrestlebacks could be wrestled in the same amount of time that this semi-state took if you go back to only three advancing from regional and only wrestleback from the ticket round on.

In response to BlueBolt:

I tend to disagree with the good matches being on mat II.  The only matches i saw on mat II were the matches that i made a point to catch.  From what i saw... the quality of match ups (not wrestlers) was far superior on mats III and IV.  In fact I hardly saw anything than the before said ones I made a point to catch on I and II because of all the action on mats III and IV.  However, I was also sitting on the north end directly in front of mats III and IV.  This could bare weight on anyone's perception and/or opinion I suppose.

In response to BlueBolt:

I tend to disagree with the good matches being on mat II.  The only matches i saw on mat II were the matches that i made a point to catch.  From what i saw... the quality of match ups (not wrestlers) was far superior on mats III and IV.  In fact I hardly saw anything than the before said ones I made a point to catch on I and II because of all the action on mats III and IV.  However, I was also sitting on the north end directly in front of mats III and IV.  This could bare weight on anyone's perception and/or opinion I suppose.

Let me rephrase my statement....

The most closely contested matches (i.e Overtime and "back to center" matches seemed to be on Mat II).  To say "the best" is a matter of opinion I guess.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.