Class Wrestling?????

devildog47959

When you state that the teams and individuals that aren't having success need to "work harder" you are calling out all coaches and kids no matter the size of the school.  My kids put as much blood, sweat and tears into the sport as a big school kid, but continually don't succeed as much as their big school brethren.  How do I as a coach explain that to a kid?  Do I simply say, "Billy you don't work hard, too bad?"  

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my last post on this subject:

I was not in favor of splitting basketball into classes in Indiana, mainly because I grew up during the 1 class system.  Was it a good thing?  I don't know, maybe in someways.  No so good in other ways. I konw it has taked away from our storied past and a lot of the excitement. I still remember watching Damon Bailey before a packed house in the RCA dome.  Those days have not been matched since class basketball was introduced.

I would rather not see our great sport of wrestling go in that direction either.  Who knows maybe it would be good in someways, but I feel it would be bad in more ways.  Wrestling is an individual sport, like it or not.  We just added the "team" tournament not so many years ago.

Have fun debating this topic as it will outlive us all, whether it happens or not.

Ps. I will vote for class wrestling if it will stimulate our economy....

are there any small school athletes on here? if so do your feel cheated they the state forces you to wrestle kids from a big school? when i wrestled i didnt care if i was wrestling a kid from pioneer or a kid from carmel or crown point or whatever i just went out and tried my best to win, i was from a big school and i lost to the same guy from a small school 4 times last year, he was better than me, he didnt care that i was from a duneland conference school and he was from the nic or whatever he just went out and did his thing too. i beat guys from portage and lake central, i lost to guys from new prarie and jimtown...i found no differnece in the people i wrestled they all weighed about the same and all tried equally as hard

The kids and the coaches are not going to change their work ethic due to how many classes there are.  I don't care if there is one class or 150 classes, I'm going to work as hard as I can as a coach to get the most champions I can possibly have(14) .  Do you honestly think that Bud Wright stays at Sheridan because he doesn't have to work hard to produce state champions?

Coaches and athletes at the big school or small school level share the same work ethic.  They all want to have success and work their hardest to achieve that. 

To move up on the list and become a better state we need to expand youth wrestling and work as hard and smart as we can

Our youth wrestling USAW program has very good numbers.  We have numbers that are comparable to those of many states that would be considered better wrestling states.  I don't have the numbers, but recall looking at the participation numbers and being very surprised at how high we rank. 

So you make a new screen name to help "support" your views there Mr. AllYourBase?

Actually, my wife thought you had more to say then you could handle, so she made a screen name.  It Is Sunkist Kid for anyone that cares.  Being as Y2 knew, everyone else should also.

Thank you.

To move up on the list and become a better state we need to expand youth wrestling and work as hard and smart as we can

Our youth wrestling USAW program has very good numbers.  We have numbers that are comparable to those of many states that would be considered better wrestling states.  I don't have the numbers, but recall looking at the participation numbers and being very surprised at how high we rank. 

That is surprising

So you make a new screen name to help "support" your views there Mr. AllYourBase?

Actually, my wife thought you had more to say then you could handle, so she made a screen name.  It Is Sunkist Kid for anyone that cares.  Being as Y2 knew, everyone else should also.

Thank you.

I'm glad every five minutes you are changing names to help support your views.  Its funny that she uses YOUR email address to sign up for HER account!  I respect your opinion on class wrestling, but if you really think creating a new screenname will help, you are wrong.  I also suppose you, your wife, your kids, your aunts and uncles and cousins all came over yesterday to submit the survey on the main page too, right?

So your wife doesn't have her own email account then huh?  I guess someone as internet savvy as she is would have her own email account.

Its ironic that you want to flood this topic with opinions, but they are just done under a different screennames. 

I think it has been all me, except what?  Twice, sorry I should put a leash on her huh?  I sure hope we can speak in person sometime Joe, so I can determine if you are as really arrogant as you seem.

Arrogant because I call you out when you exploit the system and try to create two screennames to call out people?  If I'm too arrogant for your tastes please do not come to this website anymore.

Actually, my arrogance can make it so you will never come here again.... thats if I want to use that arrogance.

Arrogant because I call you out when you exploit the system and try to create two screennames to call out people?  If I'm too arrogant for your tastes please do not come to this website anymore.

Actually, my arrogance can make it so you will never come here again.... thats if I want to use that arrogance.

If you choose to delete people for having an opinion greater than yours, have at it, it won't change anything.

At my household we have 5 people and 2 screen names( by 2 different people), what is the limit? 

We moved from a 3a school with a great wrestling program to a 1a school with a good wrestling program. There is a big difference (facilities, equipment, so on and so on) and they have to fight to get a full team, If you ask all the wrestlers from the really small schools, (and i have alot of them), they will tell you that we love to have class wrestling, more kids/parents would get involved in this great sport. Untill we try it nobody wins this argument.

Is it not detrimental to the kids if they have lazy ass coaches?  I guess all the small school coaches that don't get state qualifiers are lazy and probably should be fired. 

I think small schools, and large schools in the wrestling format are pretty even..... how about you?

Obviously they aren't even as the big schools dominate small schools in dual meets and when it comes to the number of individuals that qualify for the state finals.  I will just accept that most small school coaches don't work hard.  Its a bitter pill to swallow, but I'll swallow he pill as there is obviously no other way to explain it.

With regard to the fact that more individual qualifiers come from big schools there is a way to explain it. As I have argued ad nauseum, it's all about the probability that an individual with state caliber talent will happen to attend a big school as opposed to a small school.  Since 75% of the students in Indiana attend big schools and 25% attend small schools, big schools will likely have 75% of the individuals with state caliber talent, and therefore 75% of the state qualifiers.  This doesn't mean that a particular individual who goes to a big school is 3x as likely to have state caliber talent or to qualify for state.  

For example if we could take all the 8th graders in the state and identify which ones have state caliber talent, the probability is that 75% of them will happen to attend a big school and 25% of them will attend small schools.  If there was a net advantage to being an individual from a big school, big schools should have more than 75% of the state qualifiers since probability says they have 75% of the state caliber talent.  

Which leads to my next question.  How many individuals are made into state qualifiers during their high school years?  I imagine there are some.  But realistically, a great deal of the state qualifiers have been wrestling for years before they get to high school through middle school or USA wrestling or both.  From my experience many big schools don't have middle school programs (Fort Wayne) and most of the USA clubs are community-based or affiliated with smaller schools.

The bottom line is you can't say that an individual from a big school has a net advantage over an individual from a small school based on the fact that 3x as many qualifiers come from big schools.  

Silence Dogood I think you make a great point that is hard to argue against.. I agree with ya.. Its all about probability and youth programs.. There are not a lot of kids that show up for the first time in the 9th grade to wrestle who end up winning/placing/participating at state.. We got three kids through  to state this year and each one started wrestling way back in their elementary days.. Our kids qualifying for state had nothing to do with the size of our high school..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.