Jeffersonville folkstyle tournament

dad1st

Sunday 02-08-09 tourney at Jeffersonville was very poorly run. I understand that holding a tournament is very hard and a lot of work, but a 7 year old should not have to be there 9 hours. He had 11 wrestlers in has weight class and if brackets would have been used instead of vertical pairing it wouldn't have taken all day. I also had a scoolboy that didn't have his first match until 12:30, by that time he was ready to go home. Jeffersonville needs to talk to Tellcity or Jasper and let them show how a tournament is run!

We have went the past 2 years, and won't go back. I did not understand why they chose the vertical pairing system it took forever, we got there at 7:30 in the morning and did not wrestle until 12:30 had a second round bye and sat around for another 2 hours before he wrestled again. We was there for 9 hours and had 3 matches. I do agree tournaments are very hard work, but don't make it harder then it needs to be. One more thing put the big boys on the whole mat and the little ones on the half mat.

I believe maybe they had more people come then they expected.  Bloomington canceled their tournament so there wasn't anything south of Indy. 

I was most disappointed that there were several times wrestling was only occurring on one or no mats.  I believe they had quality pairers I just don't know if they had enough. 

We were also yelled out by one of the Jeffersonville refs to get out from between mat six and five if we weren't wrestling or coaching.  I was standing there with the wrestler I was coaching who was six deep on the mat.  If they don't want too many people in the middle then don't overload the mats, but don't yell at people who are waiting on their match to come up.

I'll probably go back because it is convenient, but if there is another one close then I might change my mind.

I'm from Franklin and one of my boys was last  match on his mat, wasn't much easier on a fourth grader but with 736 wrestlers  11 hours wasn't all that bad. ::)

True, we spent 9 1/2 hours at Southmont this past weekend and there were "only" 570 wrestlers there I heard.

(BTW, Franklin looks like a college campus now a days.)

It was a really rough day, my SB didn't wrestle his first match until around 1 and that was with 3, yes 3 kids in his weight class! Many of the brackets were mixed up, they orginally had a cadet on the bracket with my son's SB class! I heard several people say the same thing happened to them. I honestly heard nothing but complaints all day. The bleachers were extremely overcrowded as well and they could have alleviated some of that by pulling out the ones on the opposite side which they did not do. To be fair, last years tournament was very well ran so I am not sure what the problem was this year. I hope everyone gives it another chance, and no I am not from Team Jeff. If it happenes again next year we won't even be back and we live 15 minutes away!

Will not pick on any tournament specifically, but will pick on all of them, As time goes on tournaments seem to be getting  longer and longer. Maybe this is  a good thing because more kids might be getting involved however for those that have been going a few years it is getting intolerable. The little kids matches take forever.  It'll never happen but it'd be great to have tournaments for pee-wees, bantams and intermediates separate from novices and up. Just dreaming.

It'll never happen but it'd be great to have tournaments for pee-wees, bantams and intermediates separate from novices and up. Just dreaming.

Indy Nationals is having split sessions this year to help alleviate the time spent waiting for matches.  PW through Intermediate in the morning and Novice up in the afternoon.  It makes a long day for some of the coaches with kids in both sessions but it would be great to see more tournaments adapting this practice.

It'll never happen but it'd be great to have tournaments for pee-wees, bantams and intermediates separate from novices and up. Just dreaming.

Indy Nationals is having split sessions this year to help alleviate the time spent waiting for matches.  PW through Intermediate in the morning and Novice up in the afternoon.   It makes a long day for some of the coaches with kids in both sessions but it would be great to see more tournaments adapting this practice.

I certainly see the benefit for tournaments with advanced weigh-ins but those that weigh-in on site will see kids weighing in before 8-9 am and waiting til afternoon to wrestle, thus, creating the same problem for more wrestlers.

Will not pick on any tournament specifically, but will pick on all of them, As time goes on tournaments seem to be getting  longer and longer. Maybe this is  a good thing because more kids might be getting involved however for those that have been going a few years it is getting intolerable. The little kids matches take forever.  It'll never happen but it'd be great to have tournaments for pee-wees, bantams and intermediates separate from novices and up. Just dreaming.

I always thought the best thing for peewees is to just get their day done as fast as possible.  Keep them on a couple of split mats and run the brackets completely through.  These little guys, for the most part, don't need to be sitting there all day and they certainly don't need the rest between matches.  Plus, it thins things out for the rest of the day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.