South Dearborn Sectional

NCWrestle

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost every school (8 of 9) in this secti0nal has already closed school for Wednesday.  With some of the school districts receiving 5-8 inches of snow, it is unlikely that the tournament will conclude on Wednesday night.  For those of you who suggest that the tournament should have been completed on Monday night- wrestling concluded at 10:18 P.M. by my watch.  Had we wrestled the final round, some of the kids would have had to wrestle after midnight on a school night.  These kids had been in school all day already.  Several of the teams in the sectional must travel more than an hour just to get back to their schools, not to mention travelling home still.  I do not believe it was ever an option to allow the kids to miss a majority of the school day to be able to begin in the early afternoon.  I know a couple of schools did get out before the end of the day to make the 4 o'clock wiegh-in already.  We should not forget that we are doing what is in the best interest of the kids.  The adults should not do something for their own convenience when it could wind up costing a wrestler who has been up for close to 17 hours already on the day.

As for the team regional, I would hope that the IHSAA will do the right thing by all of these teams and reschedule it for next Tuesday or Wednesday.  It would be unfair to any wrestler involved with this to have to wrestle and make weight so many times, especially when some of the schools will not allow the teams to practice if they do not have school.  This is a disadvantage to any wrestler still involved in either the team or individual tournament.

Well said Chris, The team regional is the least of the worries at this point.  They could go Team regional next tuesday and Team Semi State on thursday and be back on schedule.  Granted thats a great deal of weigh ins and could be a big issue as well.  But right now its the individuals that need to get things settled first.

Its important to keep the individual tournament on schedule the team schedule will work itself out.

Just my thoughts

Coach A

No such thing at team semi-state anymore.  They finish up both rounds of the team competition to decide to goes to state on the same night.  So they can always bump back team regionals to sometime next week (which may be the case now) and finished up individual sectionals before this weekend.  That gets everything back on tracks and would just slightly effect those participating in this particular team regional.  I guess we will find out later today what will actually occur.  At this point they may still try to have the South Dearborn sectional late this evening as scheduled unless we get another round of snow today.

This situation with SD adds another good argument for having the team series after (or before) the individual series.

Problem is it also adds another good argument for the IHSAA to say team states not worth the hassle of having.  But I would hope they don't get that dramatic about it. 

Problem is it also adds another good argument for the IHSAA to say team states not worth the hassle of having.  But I would hope they don't get that dramatic about it.

IHSAA won't eliminate the team series because it brings in $$$.

At last look it is on for Thursday, 02/05/09, 6:00 PM at Seymour HS. Weigh-ins at 5:00 PM

A move to next Tuesday or Wednesday certainly makes more sense for each of the four teams involved. As it stands each of the four teams will have minimal practice time before individual regionals.

3 pounds makes sence since they're back to 2 on saturday... what happens if someone that made the top for already doesn't make weight? i know he forfiets down to 2nd or 4th but can he still wrestle at regionals? I hope this isn't an issue though

If you don't make weight in the team part the team would have to forfeit that weight for the meet unless they have a JV that is certified to wrestle at that spot.

If you don't make weight in the individual part you are out of the entire tournament.  The other qualifiers from that group move up.  The 5th place wrestlers takes the last spot if he is on weight and at the weigh-ins.  The 6th place wrestler would be the next in line if he is also on weight and at weigh-ins.  This doesn't occur very often but has on occasion.

It it two seperate events at that point though so not making weight at one does not eliminate you from the other.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.