Merrillville Semi-State

ngwilliams

The Fort Wayne semi-state ALWAYS has a hospitality room!  A few years ago they were facing the probability of not having one due to the cost, so they had to move it to a different area in the coliseum so they didn't have to have it catered by the coliseum.  Coaches get paid very little and having donuts, coffee, drinks and some cold sandwiches are the least the host school could do.  Coaches also want a place to get away and relax without wrestlers or parents and a hospitality room is great for this. 

But that doesn't answer the question of "Where does your head coach go to get away from you?"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a hospitality room is always a plus for any tournament.  I just don't think they should be bashed for not having one.  It is not mandatory for them to have one.  I look at this discussion about the hospitality room like the discussion we have about whether or not a wrestler should shake a coaches hand after a match.  Kind of an option, but will probably be bashed more for not doing it.

I have been to the Evansville Semi-State and it is very nice. Plenty of space to sit, you can see all the mats, and people are NOT roping off whole sections to save their seats. Last year was my first year at another semi-state other than Mville, and it happened to be the Evansville one. Of course there are specific sections teams sit, but they are not roped off. We will always complain about Mville, but in the end let's wish the wrestlers that make it there well because when we arrive at Mville we know there will be some great wrestling. Even if it is in a small gym!

The wrestlers, coaches, fans, officials, and the sport DESERVES better.  These are legitimate complaints and should be remedied.  Merrillville Semi-State needs and should have a better venue and it is time to realize that this is the ONLY semi-state that has this discussion for a reason.  It is not complaining for complaining sake.  From what I gather the the other semi-states treat the event with respect and professionalism that it deserves.  I know this is the case for Fort Wayne.  We need just a few questions answered.... Is there a another venue that is willing and capable of hosting it?  Can it be moved to a new venue?  If no.  Why?  Who would run the tournament (Merrillville can if they like)?  Why isn't this happening?

Merrillville could be replaced with better gymnasiums, BUT! ???

When you are on the mat, even when you arent under the lights, when that crowd screams, it SCRRRRREEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!  :o They are watching the best wrestling in Indiana, other than state.  It is a good atmosphere to ready the wrestlers for the crazy crowd of Conseco. ;)

I love wrestling at Merrillville Semi-State...  It wouldn't be the same if we had room!!!  ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.