Weight Classes

PORCH DAWG

Laying on the Porch with to much time on my hands and I haven't seen this thread in a while but with all the conference Brackets posted and a few of the tournamats I've seen this winter I'm begining to see/think that perhaps the IHSAA and Coaches assoc. need to visit this disscussion again. If  I can take a 90# flute player and win 15 matches out of 35 ::) perhaps we need to start the classes a little heavier . Nothing againest the little guys some of the 103's and 112's I have seen are awfully darn good but if a third of their matches are forfeits maybe some minor adjustments are needed. I 'll just throw my thoughts out there before my before lunch nap. 110-116-122-128-134-140-147-154-163-173-185-205-235-300. GOOD LUCK TO ALL WRESTLERS THIS WEEKEND AND MOST OF ALL THANK THE GOOD LORD FOR OUR ABILITIES TALENT AND SAFETY .  THE PORCH DAWG

What do the coaches think, they are probably in the best position to know if this would be a good idea without messing up too many wrestlers.  Are there enough 235 lbers or would this be a forfeit also? Would this be something unfair for the smaller wrestlers? I know the IHSAA won't make any changes but this sounds like a good idea.

I love how every couple of weeks we revisit the same issues over and over, but just a different thread name.

The issues are always the same, it is just how the question is posed that changes!  Kinda like politics!    :)

I know this year I have seen just as many forfeits around the 119-125 area as 103 if not more. I think we need 103. I have a kid weighing 97 lbs. and if the first class was 110 he would be worse off than he is. I think we would lose the smaller guys that come out because they barely weight 100lbs. Just my opinion.

I think this problem is only a problem for the smaller schools.  Our 103 pounder has received maybe 1 forfiet if any.  We have had other weights with more including 189 and 215.  I can't see why coaches would want to have another weight class for the bigger guys.  To me these matches are boring while 103 is usually very exciting and the actual level of good wrestling is far above 189 and 215  on average.  We need to be more fan friendly and the upper weight classes just are not as exciting as the little guys.  If the smaller schools don't want to recieve forfeits they should change their schedule to include larger schools. 

Coach Douglas

wrestling is one sport still out there for the little guy.  I agree that 103 should remain.  There is excellent quality around the state in the 103-125 weight classes.  I think it would be a mistake to eliminate a class.  My vote if a weight class were to be added---would be between 171 and 189----i.e. 171,  182, 193.  If we had to give up a weight I would do it in the middle---i.e. 133 then 140. 

The quality at 171 and 189 is very good

wrestling is one sport still out there for the little guy.  I agree that 103 should remain.   There is excellent quality around the state in the 103-125 weight classes.   I think it would be a mistake to eliminate a class.   My vote if a weight class were to be added---would be between 171 and 189----i.e. 171,  182, 193.  If we had to give up a weight I would do it in the middle---i.e. 133 then 140. 

The quality at 171 and 189 is very good

One of the hardest conversations I've ever had with one of my kids:

An 8th grader of mine went to a Colts camp this past summer.  He came back and when I asked him about it, he was pretty much in tears.  When I asked him what he learned, he said that he learned that he was too small to play football.  Tough (and expensive for mom and dad) lesson to learn.

We are a very competitive school for football and, to be honest, this kid will never play a down here.  But he's not a bad wrestler and, because THERE IS A 103, he can participate in a fun, challenging, amazing sport.

I hear a lot of talk about dropping the lighter weights at the high school level. Look at the schoolboy level, the weight classes are changing to drop some of the heavy classes. This is because there are tons of small kids and only a few big guys in the schoolboy division. So where do all the small wrestlers go and where do all the big guys come from?

Anyone who has wrestled, or been part of a program will agree that wrestling teaches kids so much more than just wrestling.  I weighed around 90 lbs as a freshman and wrestled 98lbs as a sophomore, and wrestling taught me so much about work ethic and overcoming obstacles.  Wrestling is the only sport that kids of all sizes can compete.  The little guys often times are better skilled than the heavyweights, and more fun to watch.  IMO we should keep the weight classes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.