The Best AL Smith matches Ever

ontherise219

I was just wondering what some of the best final matches were.

Nick Wiesjhn Mishawaka vs Steve Salinas SB Clay

And

The AL Smith always has some great upsets

Zeke Abegg Hobart over Aaron Sessa LC

Zach Corpe EM over Tom Churchard Valpo

Nick Wiesjahn over Eric Galka Hobart

or in 2002 Hector Mendez didn't even place then went on to win a State title

Doesn't anyone remember the 90's?  How about the Pat Ryan (Elkhart Memorial) vs. F. Chavez (Penn) matches?  What about the Steve Henry (LaPorte)battles?  Newt Orange (SB Washington) with unlimited injury time to tie his shoe...  The whole Maldanado (ECC) generation taking on the record books?  I remember trying to watch these matches while other matches were breaking out in the stands around me!  Ahhh, the 90's!  Back when all three Woods could sit together and watch the Al Smith before it was the Al Smith, and before there was an IN wrestling website on the internet  :-\

AWood1 is here with me and he says Barry wrestled at the 'other' Elkhart HS, Central.  He went Purdue and got hurt at Midlands as a red-shirt against a future olympic wrestler.  All three Woods are together for the UFC!  Scary...

To let everyone know just how tough this tournament really is:

I remember way back in 1983 watching Calumet's Mike Trevino wrestling against Elkhart Memorial' s defending State Champion Barry Hart....for 5th Place.

Jim Wadkins

Jim, I just gave you a wahoo! This tourney has been tough for years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.