# of Freshman/Sophomore qualifiers

As long and successful as this tournament has become. Why are there not at least 3 or 4 different locations for these qualifiers? Couldn’t we go to 4 like we did for IHSGW did with their regionals or have a northern, central, and southern qualifier?

Edited by BlackBaron

There are technically 3 with Indy Nats doubling up as a Central qualifier. It provides some convenience location wise, but with it being the Sunday after state, it really stinks on coaching staffs' time commitments, but that'd be the case any weekend I suppose. 

55 minutes ago, Coach Brobst said:

There are technically 3 with Indy Nats doubling up as a Central qualifier. It provides some convenience location wise, but with it being the Sunday after state, it really stinks on coaching staffs' time commitments, but that'd be the case any weekend I suppose. 

But that’s still 2 1/2 hours away. But for parents to travel to Indy back to back weekends is a pain. The entire point of this tournament was for more inclusion for under class men. 

2 minutes ago, BlackBaron said:

But that’s still 2 1/2 hours away. But for parents to travel to Indy back to back weekends is a pain. The entire point of this tournament was for more inclusion for under class men. 

I hear you man. Not ideal for those in the Ft. Wayne area at all. I don't think there's a governing body, just a group of people hosting the event. I'm sure if a school was willing to host a qualifier, they'd be willing to listen.

• 1 month later...

Been trying to get ahold of Mark Durham for an explanation but he is not responding, maybe someone here can shed light on it for me. How are kids who were not SSQ and did not qualify at one of the Qualifying Tournaments aloud in Fresh/Soph State? Seems very bias and unfair to all the kids that worked their tails off to get in.  I feel like this should be corrected or an explanation given. 

I don't know exactly what kids you are talking about, but I know they extended the number of qualifiers from top 12 to top 16.  We had two kids qualify because of that extension.  Does that cover your question?

19 hours ago, CJH said:

Been trying to get ahold of Mark Durham for an explanation but he is not responding, maybe someone here can shed light on it for me. How are kids who were not SSQ and did not qualify at one of the Qualifying Tournaments aloud in Fresh/Soph State? Seems very bias and unfair to all the kids that worked their tails off to get in.  I feel like this should be corrected or an explanation given. 

Also if they were injured during the season

I understand the extension of the qualifiers and completely understand if a kid was injured or had a something personal going on. Unfortunately neither of these is the case in this situation. I was told since the kid was a good wrestler and his coach and team volunteered to help set up an exemption was made. I in no way blame the kid he was given a free pass and took it…good for him. But the rules are there for a reason and exceptions are going to be made then there needs to be some fine print added. 

5 hours ago, CJH said:

I understand the extension of the qualifiers and completely understand if a kid was injured or had a something personal going on. Unfortunately neither of these is the case in this situation. I was told since the kid was a good wrestler and his coach and team volunteered to help set up an exemption was made. I in no way blame the kid he was given a free pass and took it…good for him. But the rules are there for a reason and exceptions are going to be made then there needs to be some fine print added. 

If this really happened I totally agree. I know plenty of “good wrestlers” who would want to ask for this exception in the future so they don’t have to get home after 10pm (3 hour drive) and miss the Super Bowl. Coaches too.  

On 3/7/2023 at 6:40 AM, CJH said:

I know nothing of this situation and I am the one that entered the wrestlers in the tournament. Go ahead and DM me and we can figure this out. 

On 3/8/2023 at 4:44 PM, trackgopher said:

I know nothing of this situation and I am the one that entered the wrestlers in the tournament. Go ahead and DM me and we can figure this out. 

Sent you a DM