Iran wrestling news

so...

finally got around to looking at the brackets for the women's style starting tomorrow... i 100% do not know any of the international wrestlers in this style... the only US participant i am mildly interested in is arujau...

any thoughts on that 57 bracket?

i used to be a fan of the smaller hidlay when he was still in high school... this is the older one, yes?

i have watched about 5 matches of the stall fest in the last 2 years and only slightly more free... 

so...

totally out of the loop except for the tip of the spear...

2 hours ago, LJB said:

i used to be a fan of the smaller hidlay when he was still in high school... this is the older one, yes?

i have watched about 5 matches of the stall fest in the last 2 years and only slightly more free... 

so...

totally out of the loop except for the tip of the spear...

No, this is the younger, larger one.

Just looked at the brackets and seems like USA got a better draw than us in nearly all the weights. Kkiane is right about those lower weight draws. Javan seems to be cursed, draws a tough first opponent and then a rested Horst Lehr in the second. Similar thing with Habibzadeh and Harutyunyan. Having said that (and with Nokhodi forfeiting) I still think we have a good chance of the team title. This team we sent is just too good. Lil Yaz, Masoumi, Azarpira and both Firouzpour bros are all favourites for gold imo. Maybe not MS Firouzpour with David Carr there but the point still stands. If this was a dual meet I'd take Iran over USA 8-2.

Just now, Amir.Sol said:

Just looked at the brackets and seems like USA got a better draw than us in nearly all the weights. Kkiane is right about those lower weight draws. Javan seems to be cursed, draws a tough first opponent and then a rested Horst Lehr in the second. Similar thing with Habibzadeh and Harutyunyan. Having said that (and with Nokhodi forfeiting) I still think we have a good chance of the team title. This team we sent is just too good. Lil Yaz, Masoumi, Azarpira and both Firouzpour bros are all favourites for gold imo. Maybe not MS Firouzpour with David Carr there but the point still stands. If this was a dual meet I'd take Iran over USA 8-2.

I think we should be cautious at 125kg. There are some heavy hitters in there like Alisher Yergali, and that Tony Cassioppi. Masoumi is still young, and an 18 year old U23 world champ is insane if he can pull it off.

6 minutes ago, kkiane said:

I think we should be cautious at 125kg. There are some heavy hitters in there like Alisher Yergali, and that Tony Cassioppi. Masoumi is still young, and an 18 year old U23 world champ is insane if he can pull it off.

I believe Yergali might be a little undersized. He was a 97 just this past year. I like Masoumi's chances against smaller guys. Cassioppi might be a problem but Masoumi is just too technically sound for me to worry about him. He might win U23s for 5 years in a row with Zare around.

Just now, Amir.Sol said:

I believe Yergali might be a little undersized. He was a 97 just this past year. I like Masoumi's chances against smaller guys. Cassioppi might be a problem but Masoumi is just too technically sound for me to worry about him. He might win U23s for 5 years in a row with Zare around.

Touch wood. It seemed kinda like he was half-assing a lot of the U20s, more like he was playing with kids. This is his biggest test, and I really want to see him succeed.

Masoumi will win Gold, he is a stud, I'd be shocked if he doesn't. I genuinely feel that in the next few years Zare will have a a bigger challenge in him domestically more so than internationally.

I had 125 92 79 and 70 as locks for gold. Let's see. Anything can happen though. Look at Yousefi in greco.

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

Masoumi will win Gold, he is a stud, I'd be shocked if he doesn't. I genuinely feel that in the next few years Zare will have a a bigger challenge in him domestically more so than internationally.

I had 125 92 79 and 70 as locks for gold. Let's see. Anything can happen though. Look at Yousefi in greco.

It is literally Ghasemi vs Hadi all over again but 10x better.

Just now, Amir.Sol said:

It is literally Ghasemi vs Hadi all over again but 10x better.

Much better. And more high quality. When Ghasemi and Hadi were at their peak, neither were really considered the man internationally.

I think come Paris the two best heavyweights in the world will be these two Iranians.

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

Much better. And more high quality. When Ghasemi and Hadi were at their peak, neither were really considered the man internationally.

I think come Paris the two best heavyweights in the world will be these two Iranians.

I expect both of them to improve a lot between now and Paris, however, I expect Massoumi to improve much more significantly

3 minutes ago, Irani said:

I expect both of them to improve a lot between now and Paris, however, I expect Massoumi to improve much more significantly

It's a shame Zare got gassed by Geno in Tokyo. Would've loved for him to become a 2 time olympic champion in Paris and for Masoumi to take the reins from there.

Edited by Amir.Sol

1 minute ago, Irani said:

My own personal opinion is that despite the silly mistake which essentially cost him becoming a 2x World Champion in Belgrade, I still consider Zare the best 125kg in the world right now. It is an interesting one to think if Masoumi will be able to overtake him, I think the ceiling is high and it could happen.

I like both guys. But I am much closer with Amir Hossein. Let's see what happens!

1 minute ago, Amir.Sol said:

It's a shame Zare got gassed by Geno in Tokyo. Would've loved for him to become a 2 time olympic champion in Paris and for Masoumi to take the reins from there.

to be fair, I am not sure Zare would have won gold, even if he got passed Geno.  In fact, I am pretty sure he would have lost in the finals

Just now, Irani said:

to be fair, I am not sure Zare would have won gold, even if he got passed Geno.  In fact, I am pretty sure he would have lost in the finals

Gable had a bit of a miracle win over Geno while Zare dominated him a couple months later. I know we can never know who would win until Gable comes back but I disagree that Zare would have surely lost.

47 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

it's 50% possible for MS Firouzpour to run into Israel in the 3rd round. don't know much about the Ukrainian guy (who is facing ISR in Round 2)

I hope one day soon we shouldn't be worried about ISR draw. but right now we still have to be worried.