Iran wrestling news

5 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

It's a shame Zare got gassed by Geno in Tokyo. Would've loved for him to become a 2 time olympic champion in Paris and for Masoumi to take the reins from there.

Zare will be 23 and Masoumi 20 come Paris. Zare won't be handing over any reigns without a fight. We will have a real domestic heavyweight battle for the next 10 years!

5 minutes ago, Irani said:

to be fair, I am not sure Zare would have won gold, even if he got passed Geno.  In fact, I am pretty sure he would have lost in the finals

I agree with @Amir.Sol. I think stylistically Zare would have been a nightmare match for Gable. But Tokyo was Zare at one of his worst conditions and Gable at his best so it may have been a close one.

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

Zare will be 23 and Masoumi 20 come Paris. Zare won't be handing over any reigns without a fight. We will have a real domestic heavyweight battle for the next 10 years!

Definitely! But come 2028 Zare will be 27 and Masoumi 24. If Masoumi is ever going to be a first teamer then that's about the year I'd see it. Although thinking about it, Zare can still go to the next two Olympics and Masoumi would still be young enough to have a good shot at it in 2032.

5 minutes ago, kkiane said:

What if Masoumi gets too big for 125, he’s 18 and already humongous, what does he weigh right now?

I wonder how much some of these giants cut for 125. In Greco both Lopez and Riza are huge but can make weight, it's probable that cutting for heavyweight isn't as big as a problem than it is for others.

1 minute ago, Amir.Sol said:

I wonder how much some of these giants cut for 125. In Greco both Lopez and Riza are huge but can make weight, it's probable that cutting for heavyweight isn't as big as a problem than it is for others.

That’s true. Does anyone know how tall Amirreza Masoumi is, because according to google his dad is just under 6 foot 3. 

The photo where they are holding hands is from 2020, and they are around the same height, the photo of them on the mat together is from just under a year later and Amirreza is slightly taller, and the photo of them on the balcony if from July of this year.

Is google wrong?

23A54CD8-303A-49A1-A479-C69154F916B1.jpeg

0FD03DAF-E794-4ED9-9FC8-AB0FC7513A52.jpeg

4D0FEE96-6E74-4B5D-8206-715853AC2B24.jpeg

8 minutes ago, kkiane said:

That’s true. Does anyone know how tall Amirreza Masoumi is, because according to google his dad is just under 6 foot 3. 

The photo where they are holding hands is from 2020, and they are around the same height, the photo of them on the mat together is from just under a year later and Amirreza is slightly taller, and the photo of them on the balcony if from July of this year.

Is google wrong?

23A54CD8-303A-49A1-A479-C69154F916B1.jpeg

0FD03DAF-E794-4ED9-9FC8-AB0FC7513A52.jpeg

4D0FEE96-6E74-4B5D-8206-715853AC2B24.jpeg

Masoumi Jr must be standing on a stepping stool or something on that last pic lol. If Masoumi Sr is 6"3 then his kid looks about 6"7 there. Surely that's not right. Maybe Uwwdoc knows his measurements? I do remember that he was 124kgs a few months ago.

Edited by Amir.Sol

2 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Masoumi Jr must be standing on a stepping stool or something on that last pic lol. If Masoumi Sr is 6"3 then his kid looks about 6"7 there. Surely that's not right. Maybe Uwwdoc knows his measurements?

I watched a video where he faced a Georgian wrestler and he looked around the same height as him. The Georgian on google is listed at 6 foot 1. I did a few calculations and it seems that from that last picture, of it’s validity I’m still not sure, Amirreza must be atleast 10cm taller than his father, making him atleast as tall as Lopez is at 1.96m or 6 foot 5. At 18.

26 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

it's 50% possible for MS Firouzpour to run into Israel in the 3rd round. don't know much about the Ukrainian guy (who is facing ISR in Round 2)

I hope one day soon we shouldn't be worried about ISR draw. but right now we still have to be worried.

I just don't count on Israel to win 2 matches. Never heard of the Ukrainian either but Israeli wrestlers get teched by nobodies all the time. 

I also hope that day comes soon. Three times now this year it's happened. Another team title could be taken from our grasps because of it.

9 minutes ago, kkiane said:

I watched a video where he faced a Georgian wrestler and he looked around the same height as him. The Georgian on google is listed at 6 foot 1. I did a few calculations and it seems that from that last picture, of it’s validity I’m still not sure, Amirreza must be atleast 10cm taller than his father, making him atleast as tall as Lopez is at 1.96m or 6 foot 5. At 18.

Just checked on UWW and Fardin Masoumi was listed as 185cm which is about 6"1. I think 6"1 and 6"5 are more accurate than other figures for those two.

1 minute ago, Amir.Sol said:

Just checked on UWW and Fardin Masoumi was listed as 185cm which is about 6"1. I think 6"1 and 6"5 are more accurate than other figures for those two.

Good let’s hope he stops growing

26 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Mahmoudjanlu nearly erases a 6 point deficit but falls just short and loses to Turkey. Our struggles at 65 continues. Thank god for Rahman.

I just don’t think he is a very good wrestler at all

Javan was losing after a really good shot by Armenia late but reverses what happened to him in Juniors and gets the last second td lol. Unfortunately he's got Horst Lehr in a few minutes now.

Azarpira also wins his first one. Nokhodi forfeits.

Edited by Amir.Sol

How am I watching the live streams but not seeing any of these matches

65kg loss doesn't matter since he have Amouzad locked in for Tokyo.

At 70kg Andreasan lost in the first round and I don't see anyone else there who can challenge Yazdani. 

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

How am I watching the live streams but not seeing any of these matches

65kg loss doesn't matter since he have Amouzad locked in for Tokyo.

At 70kg Andreasan lost in the first round and I don't see anyone else there who can challenge Yazdani. 

He looks slightly shaky though Yazdani, yeah he teched him but he gave up more points than I would have liked 

Yazdani beats Talgat 15-5

Great match, the first period was very competitive with Talgat looking much stronger than Yazdani. The second period was a bit strange; Yazdani looked very tired but was also much sharper and was countering Talgat's shots very well and pulled away to win comfortably in the end.

Ahmad Javan loses 4-9 to Lehr. Was 2-2 after the first period but instead of giving up a TD AJ gave up a brutal 5 pt throw. He could have won that 4-4 on criteria if he just gave up the TD instead (late 2 pts for exposure out of desperation).

Sadly no good option has emerged for 57kg at Paris. The search continues. 

Amir Yazdani beats Takahashi 17-7, another great match with Yazdani pulling away late. 

If he had better conditioning (and defence lol) he would be almost unstoppable, he seems to get tired in all his matches, but it doesn't seem to prevent him from scoring points somehow lol

Amir Mohammad is a high energy dynamic wrestler that likes to pull off big offensive moves. There is a difference to getting tired and being gassed. With his style he is always going to get tired, cause he pulls off big suplexes, shoots a bunch of times landing TDs and it is fine to get tired but he doesn't have the gas tank issues he did at 65. Trust me if he was gassed or had poor conditioning he wouldn't have just teched Kazakhstan and Japan back to back scoring 32 points in two matches. A gassed wrestler cannot do that.

He doesn't have bad defense either, his style is just so offensive that he is always going to concede some points. A tech is a tech though.

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

Amir Mohammad is a high energy dynamic wrestler that likes to pull off big offensive moves. There is a difference to getting tired and being gassed. With his style he is always going to get tired, cause he pulls off big suplexes, shoots a bunch of times landing TDs and it is fine to get tired but he doesn't have the gas tank issues he did at 65. Trust me if he was gassed or had poor conditioning he wouldn't have just teched Kazakhstan and Japan back to back scoring 32 points in two matches. A gassed wrestler cannot do that.

He doesn't have bad defense either, his style is just so offensive that he is always going to concede some points. A tech is a tech though.

Idk, from early in the second period in both matches he looked visibly very tired, taking a long time to return to centre. There are a bunch of guys around that weight class who are just as dynamic but don't look as tired as that. I agree he wasn't gassed though. 

Maybe you're right about his defence, but there must be some middle ground where he can improve on that instead of giving up 5-10 points (sometimes more) every match

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Idk, from early in the second period in both matches he looked visibly very tired, taking a long time to return to centre. There are a bunch of guys around that weight class who are just as dynamic but don't look as tired as that. I agree he wasn't gassed though. 

Maybe you're right about his defence, but there must be some middle ground where he can improve on that instead of giving up 5-10 points (sometimes more) every match

For the first point you also have to remember that he wasn't meant to compete here. But rather 4-5 weeks ago. The programme he was on to peak physically was meant to be for then and not now, so I am not surprised if he is slightly lower than peak physical condition and had a bit of ring rust from his last comp (Feb 2022). And I can't really think of many in his weight that do the suplexes, single, double, crotch lifts from par terre so much in one match the way he does, very high energy moves.

This is his style, some wrestlers are happy to score one takedown and just be ultra strong defensively and win matches 2-0, he may likely with his coaches need to adapt if he goes to 74 and faces guys like Chamizo and such. But on the other hand he may not and a tech is a tech and if his style is working and he wrestles the way he wants then I say great, and it is encouraging from a viewer point to have wrestlers like this that actually make wrestling enjoyable to watch for the casual too.