Iran wrestling news

34 minutes ago, maligned said:

Again, I really dont care what their total is, since it doesnt count. But I'm trying to understand where the discrepancy is. Which one of Uguev, Sadulaev, or Kurbanov, who all earned 5th, is not Russian?

Well we know Sadulaev didn’t win the match for true fifth as he was injured, so maybe that’s where.

1 hour ago, maligned said:

Again, I really dont care what their total is, since it doesnt count. But I'm trying to understand where the discrepancy is. Which one of Uguev, Sadulaev, or Kurbanov, who all earned 5th, is not Russian?

Sadulaev did not weigh in, so he did not get 10 points. He got 0 points. 

Edited by The Genius

16 minutes ago, danny rihani said:

I appreciate if you guys let me know Iran lineup for both Freestyle and Greco in the upcoming Asian games when announced.

@Amir.Sol first posted this a few days ago:

FS:

57: Ebrahim Khari

65: Rahman Amouzad

74: Younes Emami 

86: Hassan Yazdani

97: Amirali Azarpira

125: Amirhossein Zare

GR:

60: Meysam Dalkhani

67: MR Geraei

77: Amin Kaviyani

87: Naser Alizadeh

97: Hadi Saravi

130: Amin Mirzazadeh

Poor MR Geraei has to make 67kg again, I hope he can rest and recover enough by then lol

Interestingly, Tazhudinov is listed as representing Bahrain at 97kg here. Maybe we will see Tazhudinov vs Azarpira

Freestyle, 4 medals

(1 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze)

Greco Roman, 5 medals 

(1 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze)

How does everyone feel we performed this year? Overall I would say we were good, not great, over both styles. Obviously there were some disappointments but over the last few years the team has maintained a pretty high level. 

As an outsider overall i expected more from the iranian team both freestyle and greco.

Nokhodi is getting better and next time he'll win gold.

Azarpira Gassed baddly maybe due to weight cut but hes young and he belong at 97kg

Yazdani loosing to a better wrestler and hes not adding any new tricks to his arsenal .

Emami is good in a stacked Division , (if the guy who beat Burroughs and sidakov) can cut to 74 KG then you'll have a bigger chance at a medal.

Amir Yazdani same story hes just unreliable . I like his technique but he lack undurance so the key to beat him is constant pressure. He need to improve his cardio.

Amouzad did alright and the latest takedown by musukaev was a clear foul but iran couldn't challenge. And good thing he wrestled Mamedov before the olympics to get a feel ,so at 65 kg theres otoguro , Mamedov , Muszukaev and Amouzad anyone can win gold on his best Day.

57 kg and 61 kg Iran need better guys . No medal contenders

4 hours ago, kmrabr said:

Freestyle, 4 medals

(1 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze)

Greco Roman, 5 medals 

(1 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze)

How does everyone feel we performed this year? 

Slightly under par in FS, mostly due to bad luck with draws in 65kg, 74kg, 79kg and 97kg. And very bad performances at 61kg and 92kg. 

About at par in GR, although Mohammadi and Sohrabi both going 0-1 was very disappointing and the Geraei brothers also underperformed. 

57 - Valizadeh/Sarlak/Atri/Khari/Khorramdel

65 - Amouzad/Shakeri

74 - Emami/Amir Yazdani/Savadkouhi/Firouzpour/Rezaei/Aghaei

86 - Yazdani

97 - Goleij/Azarpira/Firouzpour/Ghasempour/Azimi/Babaloo

125 - Zare/Masoumi

60 - Dalkhani/Nejati/Mohsennejad/Dadmarz/Mohammadi/Nasserpour/Dehbozorgi

67 - MR Geraei/Sohrabi 

77 - MA Geraei/Kaviani/Mokhtari/Abdevali

87 - Alizadeh/Taheri/Nouri/Choubani/Mohmadi

97 - Saravi/Fallah

130 - Mirzazadeh/Yousefi/Hedayati 

Bold is who I think will go to Paris. Should win 3 medals in FS and 3 medals in GR. 

Edited by The Genius

7 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Slightly under par in FS, mostly due to bad luck with draws in 65kg, 74kg, 79kg and 97kg. And very bad performances at 61kg and 92kg. 

About at par in GR, although Mohammadi and Sohrabi both going 0-1 was very disappointing and the Geraei brothers also underperformed. 

57 - Valizadeh/Sarlak/Atri/Khari

65 - Amouzad

74 - Emami/Amir Yazdani/Savadkouhi/Firouzpour

86 - Yazdani

97 - Goleij/Azarpira/Firouzpour/Ghasempour

125 - Zare/Masoumi

67 - MR Geraei/Sohrabi 

87 - Alizadeh/Taheri/Nouri/Choubani

97 - Saravi/Fallah

Bold is who I think will go to Paris. Should win 3 medals in FS and 3 medals in GR. 

Anybody reckon Mohmadi might try go up?

2 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Anybody reckon Mohmadi might try go up?

I forgot about Mohmadi. It's an Olympic year so if he wanted to go up I am surprised he didn't do it yet. AFAIK he has never wrestled at 87kg. But he would be a good replacement for Alizadeh for 2028 given how young he is (21 I think).

20 hours ago, The Genius said:

57 - Valizadeh/Sarlak/Atri/Khari/Khorramdel

65 - Amouzad/Shakeri

74 - Emami/Amir Yazdani/Savadkouhi/Firouzpour/Rezaei/Aghaei

86 - Yazdani

97 - Goleij/Azarpira/Firouzpour/Ghasempour/Azimi/Babaloo

125 - Zare/Masoumi

67 - MR Geraei/Sohrabi 

87 - Alizadeh/Taheri/Nouri/Choubani/Mohmadi

97 - Saravi/Fallah

We might not see Ali Geraei again

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

We might not see Ali Geraei again

Why not? He lost a close match to a good Japanese guy who won Bronze and pushed Makhmudov hard. Ironically Ali Geraei has a win over Makhmudov (albeit from around 4 years ago).

We don't have a good replacement for him. Kaviani has totally flopped on the senior scene. Can Mohmadi move down?

1 hour ago, The Genius said:

Why not? He lost a close match to a good Japanese guy who won Bronze and pushed Makhmudov hard. Ironically Ali Geraei has a win over Makhmudov (albeit from around 4 years ago).

We don't have a good replacement for him. Kaviani has totally flopped on the senior scene. Can Mohmadi move down?

Highly doubt Mohmadi moves down, and if he does he won’t perform

2 hours ago, Amir.Sol said:

Update on Asian Games. Two weights have changed. It's now Goleij at FS 97kg over Azarpira and Sohrabi at GR 67kg over MR Geraei. Makes sense when considering Geraei's injuries. I would have like to seen Esmaeili though, he was the takhti winner at 67 after all.

Goleij to shock the world and get revenge over Tazhudinov!

3 hours ago, Amir.Sol said:

Update on Asian Games. Two weights have changed. It's now Goleij at FS 97kg over Azarpira and Sohrabi at GR 67kg over MR Geraei. Makes sense when considering Geraei's injuries. I would have like to seen Esmaeili though, he was the takhti winner at 67 after all.

That's unfortunate. I am getting the feeling they want to send Goleij to Paris. Azarpira should not have agreed to go to 92kg in Worlds, he really hurt his stock by losing like that to Zahid Valencia of all people.

Entry list for Asian Games: https://uww.org/article/hangzhou-asian-games-2022-entry-list

Notable entrants for each weight class: 

57kg - Aman, Hasegawa, Uulu and Khari

65kg - Bajrang, Yamaguchi, Ochir, Osmonov, Rakhmonov and Amouzad

74kg - no one of note and Emami

86kg - Sharipov, Punia, Dauletbekov, Shapiev and Yazdani

97kg - Tazhudinov, Ishiguro, Yergali, Ibragimov and Goleij

125kg - Munkhtur, Rakhimov, Batirmurzaev, Buheerdun (the Chinese guy who pinned Masoumi) and Zare

60kg - Sharshenbekov, Bakhramov and Dalkhani 

67kg - Ryu, Shermakhanbet (the Kazakh who always beats MR Geraei), Endo and Sohrabi

77kg - Makhmudov and Kaviani

87kg - no one of note and Alizadeh

97kg - Assakalov and Saravi

130kg - Kim, Nasimov and Mirzazadeh

Good level of competition at 65kg 86kg 97kg and 125kg. Greco is a bit weaker but 60-77 have elite wrestlers (no depth though).

Having seen this, I change my prediction to 4 Golds in FS (Amouzad, Emami, Yazdani and Zare) and 3 Golds in GR (Alizadeh, Saravi and Mirzazadeh). I am most interested in seeing Dalkhani vs Sharshenbekov, huge statement before Paris if he can beat the guy who just became world champ.