Iran wrestling news

57 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Crazy, I saw the aftermath but didn’t see the actual match, was he legit pinned??

Either way Masoumi looked comfortable beating Taheri 6-2.

Nope didn't see it.

13 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Masoumi beats Mohebi, Goleij beats Firouzpour and Azarpira beats his guy.

Finals are Zare vs Masoumi and Goleij vs Azarpira.

What are the other finals?

I'm going to go with Zare and Azarpira as my picks to win.

28 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

What are the other finals?

I'm going to go with Zare and Azarpira as my picks to win.

61 - Atri vs Ramezanpour

74 - Emami vs Firouzpour

86 - Yazdani vs Vafaeipour

I expect everyone on the left to win.

Zare is looking really good. The last person to handle Masoumi like that was Zare last year. Zare wins 8-0. Masoumi hasn’t learnt from his mistake on the end he of the match against Munkhtur.

3 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Zare is looking really good. The last person to handle Masoumi like that was Zare last year. Zare wins 8-0. Masoumi hasn’t learnt from his mistake on the end he of the match against Munkhtur.

Zare still on another level right now.

Felt bad for Azarpira. Thought he was gonna take that win, but got caught in the final seconds.

Just now, Uwwdoc said:

Zare still on another level right now.

Felt bad for Azarpira. Thought he was gonna take that win, but got caught in the final seconds.

That Zare performance gives me hope for him against Gable.

The problem for Azarpira is that next year he has to worry about Ghasmepour as well. 

Who will be our representative at 70?

1 minute ago, kkiane said:

That Zare performance gives me hope for him against Gable.

The problem for Azarpira is that next year he has to worry about Ghasmepour as well. 

Who will be our representative at 70?

Team imo will likely be

Ahmadjavan

Atri

Rahman

Am Yaz

Emami

Savadkouhi

Yazdani

Kamran

Goleij

Zare

Tbh that is a solid team. Should be a minimum of 7 medals there at least. The only thing is at 97kg I still reckon Mohammadian would have won Takhti champs if he was allowed to compete, I'm just not sure who would perform better internationally between him, Goleij and Azarpira. Looks like it is gonna be Goleij regardless, if he can perform like he did in Oslo then he should at least get Bronze, and should make a Snyder match competitive.

8 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Team imo will likely be

Ahmadjavan

Atri

Rahman

Am Yaz

Emami

Savadkouhi

Yazdani

Kamran

Goleij

Zare

Tbh that is a solid team. Should be a minimum of 7 medals there at least. The only thing is at 97kg I still reckon Mohammadian would have won Takhti champs if he was allowed to compete, I'm just not sure who would perform better internationally between him, Goleij and Azarpira. Looks like it is gonna be Goleij regardless, if he can perform like he did in Oslo then he should at least get Bronze, and should make a Snyder match competitive.

Looking at those names the weakest medal shots are Ahmadjavan and Amir Yazdani, but I am still hopeful for both of them.

I would have normally said Goleij is the best but Azarpira’s performance against Batyrbek really threw a spanner into the works for me. 

37 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Looking at those names the weakest medal shots are Ahmadjavan and Amir Yazdani, but I am still hopeful for both of them.

I would have normally said Goleij is the best but Azarpira’s performance against Batyrbek really threw a spanner into the works for me. 

I wanted Azarpira to win. I thought some new fresh blood will be best for Serbia and he will learn from his close bout with Snyder. Almost had it to, but gave up that takedown right at the end.

With one eye to Paris however, I think it will be Kamran at 97kg. Likely Zare, Kamran, Hassan, at the top 3 weights. 65 Rahman. 57kg could be anyone, but no one is too strong. The most fascinating for me will be who gets 74kg. With a lot of talent from 79 going down and some from 70 going up you will have a real gauntlet-Emami, Savadkouhi, Nokhodi, AM Yazdani, MH Firouzpour. That's gonna be interesting. I imagine it will be between the first 3 I mention, but it will be a bit of a cut for Savadkouhi and Nokhodi

I just want to jump in and say I appreciate the constant post from the followers of Iranian wrestling.  While I do not know much about these wrestlers, outside of what I see at the Worlds and Olympics, I do appreciate reading more about them from the several knowledgeable sources that have migrated here from the former themat.com website. 

Wanted Azarpira to win too tbh, he wrestled well I thought but just shows how strong Goleij is to finish that single leg when it looked like stuffed.

Zare very impressive again, Masoumi showing some inexperience trying to throw double overhooks on the edge.

And Emami continues to put in solid performances. 

1 hour ago, Uwwdoc said:

Looks like it is gonna be Goleij regardless, if he can perform like he did in Oslo then he should at least get Bronze, and should make a Snyder match competitive.

Unfortunately could just as likely perform like he did at Asians though… 

20 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Unfortunately could just as likely perform like he did at Asians though… 

Exactly. Which is why I wanted Azarpira. Simply for the fact I thought I reckon he would do better in Serbia. But there isn't much between the 3. I do think Momhammadian would have won gold again if he was allowed to compete.

Overall though should be a very solid team, arguably even stronger than last year with Savadkouhi being in such good form. Should be 7 to 8 medals in that team all being well.

I would say the gold contenders are Zare, Kamran, Yazdani, Savadkouhi, Rahman, and even arguably AM Yazdani. Not saying all will get gold of course, and all depends on the day and the draw but they all have a realistic shot at it.

Russia will be there but anyone know about their team selection? I haven't heard anything and if they are there surely they will be doing their team selection process any day now.

5 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Russia will be there but anyone know about their team selection? I haven't heard anything and if they are there surely they will be doing their team selection process any day now.

I’m not sure if this is true, but I did hear something along the lines of Russians that wrestle have to denounce the war. After hearing this I basically ruled out any Russians coming back because I feel that’s too big a risk.

https://uww.org/article/uww-decision-neutral-athlete-inclusion

Does anyone have any information on the conditions of participation?

Edited by kkiane

17 minutes ago, kkiane said:

I’m not sure if this is true, but I did hear something along the lines of Russians that wrestle have to denounce the war. After hearing this I basically ruled out any Russians coming back because I feel that’s too big a risk.

https://uww.org/article/uww-decision-neutral-athlete-inclusion

Does anyone have any information on the conditions of participation?

You will see 95% of the usual there I am sure. Perhaps a couple missing names in both greco and FS. I expect most to be there. They will compete under the neutral athlete flag. Not RWF or UWW.

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

You will see 95% of the usual there I am sure. Perhaps a couple missing names in both greco and FS. I expect most to be there. They will compete under the neutral athlete flag. Not RWF or UWW.

Then we could see multiple Russians in each weight class or they would still do trials to select one?

16 minutes ago, kkiane said:

Then we could see multiple Russians in each weight class or they would still do trials to select one?

It will be just like a world team. One in each. I expect to see most of the Dagestanis, Sadulaev, Sidakov, Uguev etc.

12 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

It will be just like a world team. One in each. I expect to see most of the Dagestanis, Sadulaev, Sidakov, Uguev etc.

So they won’t count towards team rankings right? They can’t beat Iran and USA in the team rankings?

12 minutes ago, kkiane said:

So they won’t count towards team rankings right? They can’t beat Iran and USA in the team rankings?

Nope there won't be a team. So team will be between USA and Iran.

And both countries have arguably the best teams they have ever had.

USA line up likely to be

Gilman/Richards

Vito/Garrett

Yianni/Lee

Dake

Jb

Taylor

Zahid/Mike mach

Snyder/Cox

Gable

There are gonna be some huge battles

10 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Nope there won't be a team. So team will be between USA and Iran.

And both countries have arguably the best teams they have ever had.

USA line up likely to be

Gilman/Richards

Vito/Garrett

Yianni/Lee

Dake

Jb

Taylor

Zahid/Mike mach

Snyder/Cox

Gable

There are gonna be some huge battles

I’m sneakily worried about Zahid. Correct me if I’m wrong but he teched Kollin Moore and Kollin Moore is beating world medal contenders.

And of course I am worried about everyone else.

9 hours ago, Uwwdoc said:

I would say the gold contenders are Zare, Kamran, Yazdani, Savadkouhi, Rahman, and even arguably AM Yazdani. Not saying all will get gold of course, and all depends on the day and the draw but they all have a realistic shot at it.

I’m throwing Emami in this list too, he had very close matches with Dake and Sidakov. And personally though I’ve seen him get some criticism I do consider AM Yazdani a gold contender. Some of the stuff we’ve seen him do on the mat is genuine top level - just needs a decent draw and to keep his head for two days.