Iran wrestling news

3 minutes ago, LJB said:

that match would have been more entertaining if FRA had not decided to whine about everything that was happening...

dude... just wrestle...

I couldn't even get what he was complaining about. At first I thought it was finger locking but later it seemed like he thought the left underhook was an illegal position lol.

3 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

I couldn't even get what he was complaining about. At first I thought it was finger locking but later it seemed like he thought the left underhook was an illegal position lol.

near as i can figure he was complaining about them awarding shorabi any points at all...

Just now, nhs67 said:

Curious question for you gents:

What is your take on the difference between Freestyle and Greco weights?

Would it benefit to adopt one set of weights for both Men's styles?

the weight differences was/is purely a gimmick to differentiate between greco and the women's style...

it also heavily rumored that the HWY went up to 130kg purely based on lopez either not wanting to or not being able to make 125kg...

i do not see equalizing the weight classes having any effect on anything greco related... at least for the US...

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Curious question for you gents:

What is your take on the difference between Freestyle and Greco weights?

Would it benefit to adopt one set of weights for both Men's styles?

I personally dislike 55. There's just not many people, let alone wrestlers, who can get down to that weight. It's usually the smallest bracket and it's not even an Olympic weight so there's very little incentive for a wrestler who's 58-59 to go down to 55. I think they should remove it and bring 60 down a little. I guess that means it would make it closer to freestyle weight classes.

Just now, Amir.Sol said:

I personally dislike 55. There's just not many people, let alone wrestlers, who can get down to that weight. It's usually the smallest bracket and it's not even an Olympic weight so there's very little incentive for a wrestler who's 58-59 to go down to 55. I think they should remove it and bring 60 down a little. I guess that means it would make it closer to freestyle weight classes.

selfishly, my oldest would rather be a good sized 57 than a small 60...

i will agree that 55 is a bit of REALLY weight?

but just like we need classes for the husky kids, we need classes for us midgets...

I honestly forgot Abedidarzi was in a medal match so I missed most of it. He ended up winning 1-1 in criteria and I'm guessing he won it Datunashvili style were those are both caution points. Katsanashvili was one of the favourites so that's a good win for him. Abdi also won his bronze match.

So that ends it for us in Greco. 6 medals, 3 gold 3 bronze and the team title. Could've been even better with some draw luck.

1 minute ago, LJB said:

absolutely and for all the obvious reasons...

Yeah I'm still not entirely sure why they don't allow more weights. Is it because there's too many medals? One solution for that that I like is to only give out 1 bronze, that frees up 6 more medals meaning 2 new weights. Maintains the exclusivity of olympic medals but also allows for more athletes to participate.

my youngest started after this summer preparing to head to 67 for 2024...

i am not sure he will ever be a legit sized 67kg... and he will give up years in between either growing or shrinking between 63-67 throughout '28... 

it is particularly frustrating for the smaller weights because their window for international competitiveness is much smaller... give up a fraction of a step with normal age and it is a huge hole...

1 minute ago, Amir.Sol said:

Yeah I'm still not entirely sure why they don't allow more weights. Is it because there's too many medals? One solution for that that I like is to only give out 1 bronze, that frees up 6 more medals meaning 2 new weights. Maintains the exclusivity of olympic medals but also allows for more athletes to participate.

it was the concession wrestling had to make to remain in good graces with one of the most corrupt and disgusting organizations on this planet...

the IOC...

now it is more of a gender equity issue and the only way that will change is if UWW starts women's greco and the amount of time that would take to be considered as a legitimate olympic sport makes it a non issue for anything in the foreseeable future...

I hate there are only 6 weights out of 10 for Olympics. At least 8 would be so much better. But it is not a UWW decision. It is unfortunately due to the IOC viewing wrestling to be not getting the viewership compared to other sports, particularly greco.

Greco-Roman is hanging on by the skin of its teeth to stay in the Olympics.

I believe it is likely for 28 they will replace greco for beach wrestling-remember this to quote me on it either way.

personally, watching the women at anything below the absolute highest senior level is a struggle for me just because of the lower level overall...

not that there is not bright spots along the way, but, as an overall product it is tough at times...

the highest level of the women are a true pleasure to watch... just overall it is suspect...

and the prospect of having to watch them try the best style is tough to conceptualize, but, i would definitely be down to give it a shot if it would result in a more proper weight class structure for once every four years...

2 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I hate there are only 6 weights out of 10 for Olympics. At least 8 would be so much better. But it is not a UWW decision. It is unfortunately due to the IOC viewing wrestling to be not getting the viewership compared to other sports, particularly greco.

Greco-Roman is hanging on by the skin of its teeth to stay in the Olympics.

I believe it is likely for 28 they will replace greco for beach wrestling-remember this to quote me on it either way.

i actually looked at beach wrestling this summer with the understanding it is entirely possible that is the route the IOC ends up going...

i don't hate the beach wrestling product... it just does not have any real talent in it now, but, the actual wrestling product i don't hate...

i tried to get the younger one to wrestle it at fargo just to let everyone know what is going to happen when the greco guys do not have a choice but to switch if they have olympic aspirations...

it is basically dirty greco which i don't hate...

greco guys would absolutely rule beach wrestling...

4 hours ago, LJB said:

i could take this time to whine and mewl about the olympic weight classes, but, i think we all agree how silly that is...

I think it's called 'whinging' innit.

4 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Nokhodi gets Israel round 1....

How do you know? If this is the case we’ve just given away another gold that could take us out the title race. Handicapping ourselves, giving glory directly to Israel

4 minutes ago, kkiane said:

How do you know? If this is the case we’ve just given away another gold that could take us out the title race. Handicapping ourselves, giving glory directly to Israel

My friend who is UWW staff and at the draw just messaged me.