Iran wrestling news

2 hours ago, kkiane said:

The U23 Greco draw is today, pray for good draws. Are there any Americans to look out for?

Lol it's Greco, do you really think there's ever any Americans to look out for? :)

In all seriousness though Schultz is pretty good for this age level but Yousefi will tech him and everyone else in his weight. Our other guys are more draw dependent.

Edited by Amir.Sol

Thanks for the brackets @nhs67

Just looked through them and some are pretty rough.

55- Dadmarz got it pretty good. Only wrestler of note on his side is Mihai. Should be Matsui in the finals though.

60- Jeez this one is bad. Arami got the best guy in the first round but that's fine. It's the next round that's the worrying bit. Either Israel or Columbia...

63- Much better draw for Mohammadi. The Armenian and the Georgian are the big guys and they're on the other side. Mohammadi has teched guys like Babashov so I'm excepting a finals appearance from him.

67- Ok draw for Sohrabi. He probably doesn't go past semifinals, both Vancza and the Georgian are studs.

72- Probably the most brutal possible draw for Abdi. It's either Chkhikvadze or Kachatryan in the first, and then Gurbanov in the next, all three the biggest favourites imo. Only saving grace is the first round bye, maybe he stays fresher. 72 is open for us now so I'm really hoping Abdi really steps up.

77- Amoyan right of the bat is rough but to be honest I'm hopeful. I think a higher weight will really suit Mokhtari. This 77 is not as deep as usual imo so even if he loses he should at least medal.

82- I genuinely think Mohmadi can be the favourite for gold here. The only wrestler I'm worried about is Mukubu and he's on the other side. Mohmadi is still inexperienced though so he could just as well go 0-1.

87/97- Choupani and Abedidarzi got ok draws but I really don't see either as medal threats to be honest. There are too many guys with better senior experience in their weights. I hope they prove me wrong.

125- Draw doesn't matter lol.

Dadmarz first match was closer than it should have been. I wish he would utilize the gut more. He just gives up on it so quickly. His opponent tried to do the same head-spinny "konde farangi" thing Reza Geraei always does but it didn't work out.

Yousefi cruises past his first opponent.

Edited by Amir.Sol

Mokhtari is just one of the least energetic wrestlers I've ever seen. He's not even cutting for 77. Loses on criteria to Amoyan which is fair enough but I excepted him to at least try in that match.

Choupani wins a controlled match against Switzerland.

Edited by Amir.Sol

Jeez.. Senior world champion Yousefi just loses to a junior world champion. He couldn't get anything going at all. Refs screwed him a little but that really should not have mattered. Hedayati had a better match than this...

Mohammadi finally gets his first match and wins soundly against an Egyptian.

2 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Jeez.. Senior world champion Yousefi just loses to a junior world champion. He couldn't get anything going at all. Refs screwed him a little but that really should not have mattered. Hedayati had a better match than this...

Mohammadi finally gets his first match and wins soundly against an Egyptian.

Pretty disgraceful if you ask me

13 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Might not even get pulled back in tbh. Schultz is no chump.

Nvm lol. Schultz gets hit with a beautiful 4 point throw by Azerbaijan and could never recover. Rare to see a good Azeri heavyweight. Not great for the team score.