Sportsmanship

Hornet Coach

I was impressed by the sportsmanship displayed by the wrestlers this weekend.  In a world where everyone talks about the younger generation (myself included), I think it is also extremely important to give credit where credit is due.  These athletes have worked their whole lives for this, and win or lose, I thought everyone should be proud of the way they carried themselves, no matter how disappointed they were.  Well done to the wrestlers, coaches, and parents.  Sports are way more than just a game.

Edited by Hornet Coach

I also agree. I watched at home via my lazyboy, but was struck by how often after shaking hands post match, then shaking the opposing coaches hands the wrestlers passed by each other to get to their coaches they again patted each other on the back or shook hands again. Not all the time, but a significant number of times that it caught my attention. As was said not easy in such a physical sport as wrestling, it does show class.

21 hours ago, Hornet Coach said:

I was impressed by the sportsmanship displayed by the wrestlers this weekend.  In a world where everyone talks about the younger generation (myself included), I think it is also extremely important to give credit where credit is due.  These athletes have worked their whole lives for this, and win or lose, I thought everyone should be proud of the way they carried themselves, no matter how disappointed they were.  Well done to the wrestlers, coaches, and parents.  Sports are way more than just a game.

NAILED IT!!!!!

What happens to them in college? The scenes from this weekend are, fortunately, fairly common in the meets that we attend. However, when I watch D1 (mostly Big Ten for me), I see a lot of half-hearted hand shakes and wrestlers barely looking each other in the eye after a close, exciting, hard-fought match.

On 2/21/2022 at 1:15 PM, munges said:

I also agree. I watched at home via my lazyboy, but was struck by how often after shaking hands post match, then shaking the opposing coaches hands the wrestlers passed by each other to get to their coaches they again patted each other on the back or shook hands again. Not all the time, but a significant number of times that it caught my attention. As was said not easy in such a physical sport as wrestling, it does show class.

This was also the case at Indy Nationals Sunday.  Every match my son wrestled had a post-match example of excellent sportsmanship. Also occurred with those he didn't wrestle. And the wrestlers interacted off the mat with conversations and well wishes. Really good to see.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.