State alternate

Wrestlingfan937

For a period of time IHSAA did not provide an option for an actual alternate when it came to state.  I feel like there was some justification like “you had to earn your spot to that level,” so there shouldn’t be an alternate to get in.   I don’t recall when they decided to add it back in,  maybe after the 1 year of semi-state wrestlebacks to 5th place that we’re suppose to help with team scoring.  But in any case there may not be much data to pull from if you are looking for a true alternate per the rules.  

IHSAA alternate rule or not with some  3 and 4 time semi-state qualifiers I would assume there are some who have lost to in the ticket round to the eventual champ on two occasions.  I would venture to say a few unlucky soles may have even got a crazy draw on a third occasion.   

Edited by MattM

Brendan Black Freshman year Lost to the SS champ in ticket round, became alternate at state. Got the call back, made weight Friday night. Brock Hudkins ends up not wrestling Friday night because of medical reasons. Black received a FF. Lost his next 2 matches and was going to get an injury default for 7/8 and decided to not take the 7th. Black Inj. Defaulted to take 8th. His last match won was first round of Semi state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.