Mater Dei Holiday Classic

SWSpectator

@170 gave us a dominant performance from Codei Khawaja of Floyd Central.  He won a 13-3 MD over Mater Dei's Blake Weidner.  

@182 it was all Gabe Sollars all day.  Gonzalez of Christian Bros was able to slow him down a bit and keep from getting turned, but Sollars completely controlled the 10-5 match.  The final 2 pts for Gonzalez came late when Sollars was continuing to try to score and slipped off attempting a headlock.  

@195 & 220 Connor Billingsley and Theo Sewell of Christian Bros took home titles.  Sewell got the fall over Ev. Memorial's Kelton Farmer after he slipped and fell, Sewell pounced and landed a headlock as Farmer was trying to get up. I believe Sewell would have likely won anyway, but it was an unfortunate way to go down for Kelton.  Billingsley won a hard fought 5-3 dec over Blake Ritzert of Mt. Vernon.  

@285 The final was over so quickly I didn't see it.  Father Ryan's Parker Peterson WBF over Portage's Cory Hill in :22.  MD's James Ralph WBF over Ev. Memorial's Barry Duff

Edited by SWINfan

A wrestler who stood out for me was Kody Glithero Roncalli. He pinned a game Jordan Roberon first match. He beat state qualifier Conrad of Portage 5-1. Then in the semi finals he lost to Indiana state champ 0-3. Then for 3rd and 4th he lost to Tennessee state champ 1-3. Look for him to place this year.

44 minutes ago, navy80 said:

A wrestler who stood out for me was Kody Glithero Roncalli. He pinned a game Jordan Roberon first match. He beat state qualifier Conrad of Portage 5-1. Then in the semi finals he lost to Indiana state champ 0-3. Then for 3rd and 4th he lost to Tennessee state champ 1-3. Look for him to place this year.

Agreed.  He was a tough out even in the matches he lost.  Stock up after today!

21 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Mater Dei comes out strong winning with a fall at 106 and a TF at 113.

@120 Cole Ross and Lane Gilbert was worth the $9.95 by itself!!  Gilbert came away with a 4-2 win but it was a scrappy match.  Gilbert didn't score until the 3rd on a penalty point when Ross tried to turn him and scissored his head with his legs, missing getting the shoulder inside.  Ross then let him up for a 2-1 lead.  Lane got a quick takedown, followed by a quick Ross escape to make it 4-2.  Ross come close but couldn't get in close enough to tie it up.  Gilbert's defense is really good.

@126 Bryce Lowery remained the King with a 7-1 dec over Paul King.  Keegan Williams got the fall for 3rd Place and MD's Jacob Pierre battled back to 5th Place.  He needed a takedown in the last :30 to tie it and then scored 3 back points in the last :10 to win it.  

@132 Not a lot of fireworks other than Alec Freeman taking down Coyle again and again.  Freeman gets a 16-3 win that included a penalty point for blatantly grabbing his nose and raking his face.  Which came shortly after Coyle dropping a knee to the back of Freeman's head.  Not a fan of the tactics, but I know guys get frustrated sometimes.  Freeman pretty much dominated from the opening whistle.

Yes Gilbert is a wall, and Ross was still impressive. Keegan is making waves and is very solid, while Freeman has been impressive. 

20 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Blake Boarman takes the 138 lb title coming out of a scramble with less than :10 left to win 3-1.  Lots of action and scrambles for a low scoring affair.  Will see these two again, I'm sure!

Helluva bracket at 138!
Christian Brothers Dayne Dalrymple takes 3rd with a 3-1 win over Kody Glithero.  Chris Newman takes 5th with a 9-4 dec over Bradley Conrad of Portage.  I could see 4 or 5 of those guys at Banker's Life and Dalrymple looks strong to repeat as TN State Champ.

@145 Ashton Hayhurst came out like he was pissed off about the semifinal loss and won 3rd Place going away, securing the fall while up big.  Floyd Central's Frosh Hunter May took the title with a 6-2 dec over Roncalli's Zach Wilson.  Look forward to seeing another battle between May and Hayhurst!

@152 J Conway showed his dominance and ability to get to Scott Fitts legs at will, with a 13-4 win for the title.  When Fitts was able to get in a decent shot Conway was able to fend it off with relative ease.  Ev, Memorial's Aiden Farmer took 3rd with a 3-0 win.  

@160 Brody Baumann looked as he had all day, simply dominant.  He took down Christian Bros Aidan Bowman with relative ease and only gave up escape points when he allowed it.  He finished it off with a 14-4 win over the TN DII 2nd Placer.  Gibson Southern's Owen Bryant took 3rd and Booneville's Jordan Fulks took 5th.

138 was stacked and Baumann looks like a man on a mission, very impressive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.