NCAA Division I qualifiers with Indiana ties (w/pairings and seeds)

maligned

Not the best draws overall here, in my opinion. For unseeded guys, only 2 out of every 17 get put in a rat-tail and have to win an extra match--and we've got 3 of 9 in rat-tails in this list.

For the seeded guys:

--Micic was seeded exactly where all the head-to-heads suggest he should be

--Jackson unfortunately falls from #6 to a #9 seed after holding serve over #11, losing to #3, and taking defaults vs #4 and in a second meeting with #11. I don't understand how those defaults should drop you 3 spots, but I'm not on the committee. He'll now need to do something miraculous against the unbeatable Gabe Dean if he reaches the quarterfinals and hopes to make a run at the semi's or finals.

--Hughes gets the nice honor of a #15 seed as a true freshman, but it's a bit of a non-blessing in disguise, in my view. The path of least resistance to getting an All-American spot is to advance to the quarterfinals where you've got 2 shots to be an AA. Unfortunately, he'll have to beat #2 Massa to do that and could be wondering if he might have been better off taking his chances in the random draw as an unseeded guy.

On the positive side, only 3 of the 12 listed here have to beat a Top 4 seed to reach the quarterfinals, which, as I mentioned above with Hughes' situation, is the path of least resistance in getting a podium spot.

Edited by maligned

Murphy from Michigan had to withdraw due to injury. This has caused the addition Delande from Edinboro and a reshuffling of the 157 bracket. The unfortunate side effect of this change has led to a tougher road for Jake Danishek of IU who will now faces 2nd seed Kemmer of Iowa. The same issue also will move Griffin from Purdue into the path of 5th seed Smith of Ok State.

Edited by MattM

Edited the above list to include the updated 157-lb draw. On one hand it's nice not to have to wrestle that extra rat-tail match, but on the other hand, that 8-9 section of the bracket was the type that a Griffin or Danishek could have snuck through. I'm not sure Griffin can hang with the legend's son and #2 Kemerer will obviously be a load for IU's Danishek.

I wonder how Chad Red would hold up as a true frosh?

Losses against the field

He lost to partner Colton McCrystal 13-9.  McCrystal is 31-9 and is the 9 seed.

He lost to the Princeton kid 5-3 in Overtime.  Kolodzik is the 4 seed with a 26-2 record.

He was throttled by Ashnault 17-0.  He is the 5 seed with a 27-3 record.

Wins against the field

He beat CSU Bakerfield 7-5 and that kid has a 23-11 record.

He beat Oregon State 3-2 and that kid has a 17-11 record.  

He majored Wisconsin kid 13-3 who is 21-15.  

It seems he would hold up just fine as a true frosh at the NCAA tournament.  I could see him going 25-11 as a true frosh and winning several matches, possibly placing.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.