Every point counts Belmont over Leo 32-31 by criteria

Belmont beat Leo on  Dec17 at Leo.  The packed house event ended with Belmont needing a pin for a tie...they got it with less than 10sec. left in the last match.  

This put the final outcome was 31-31 and they went to criteria.  After going down the list of criteria and almost getting to the coin flip Belmont had 2 first takedowns in a row and were awarded 1 team point for criteria.  

If you ever have to explain to your wrestlers how every effort counts then this is an excellent example.  

WHEN YOU RISE TO THE TOP THE MARGINS ARE RAZOR THIN.

What a great match and a shout out to Leo.  Great job Lions!  Bellmont had to come in thinking this to be a good dual-meet but knowing they would get the "W" by 13-16 points.  The loss of Friedt hurt and Leo without a 106lber is tough.  Also, Bellmont hurt by the need to bump a few guys up a weight class.

Some thoughts:

* 120lb. Ruble boy for Bellmont will be a stud this year and in the future.  Richard for Leo will be another great one!

* 126lb. Davis for Leo get's a big win over ranked Mendez who normally is at 120.

* 132lb. State Ranked Becker get's the win here but Leo's Hissong holds him to a Decision.

* 138lb. Ranked Gunsett to me looked the best technically for Bell.  Kern held his own and his late scramble where Gunsett was on his back put a scare into the Bellmont crowd.

* 145lb. Leo's State Ranked Eicher get's the Pin.  I hope that Gutierrez is not hurt bad.  I believe he rolled his ankle?

* 152lb. A low scoring match win for Leo but fun to watch between two strong wrestlers.

* 160lb. The 10-0 win for Bellmont was big.  Ranked Busse looked gassed at the end..

* 170lb. Ranked Baumgartner gets the Pin with 10-sec remaining in match and tying the team scores.

Meet started at 182lbs.......

* 182lb. Wow, Hankenson is a beast... don't know how he's making weight at 182??

* 220lb. This is where I thought all along that Leo had to get a Pin and only ended up with the MD...

* 285lb. Leo's freshman Elwood weighing in around 205-210 put a scare into the Bellmont crowd.  He just started wrestling in 7th grade and gave the Bellmont big man a run..

Edited by gmsuks

From what I understand the 113lber from Bellmont got the first takedown in his match. He lost by pin in the second...however he WON the match for the team.

That's right JC.  But this will put a fire in Leo's 113 and he will soon be on every ones radar.  His Jedi master is home from the Navy on leave and will be in the room for the next 2 weeks.

no-try-not-do-or-do-not-there-is-no-try-

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.