Wrestle Backs

1894life

I believe the alternate is the first wrestler to lose to the regional champion???

I believe the alternate is the first wrestler to lose to the regional champion???

The wrestle back for alternate and additional team points at regional and semi-state only lasted one year, somewhat due to some locations complaining the extra rounds took too long.

As listed above the current determination of an alternate is the the wrestlers eliminated in round 1 by the champion.   Also, as listed above this almost always ends up being a Sectional 4th place wrestlers.

While the alternate spot is not a major factor in the State Wrestling Series it would seem somewhat appropriate to ensure the best wrestlers advance based on their proven ability in the event.  I lieu of a true wrestle-back option being off the table, the best option for choosing an alternate looks to be giving it to the highest sectional placer who was eliminated in the quarter-finals (Round 1 of Regional).   In the event of two guys with the same sectional placement are eliminated in that round, then the alternate position should falls to the wrestler who was eliminated form the regional champions sectional.  This criteria does a better job of selection an alternate based on their prior accomplishments in the state tournament series rather than just their draw.

The wrestle back for alternate and additional team points at regional and semi-state only lasted one year, somewhat due to some locations complaining the extra rounds took too long.

As listed above the current determination of an alternate is the the wrestlers eliminated in round 1 by the champion.   Also, as listed above this almost always ends up being a Sectional 4th place wrestlers.

While the alternate role is not a major factor in the State Wrestling Series it would seem somewhat appropriate to move forward the best option available.  If a true wrestle back in off the table then another option should looked at.  I've said for years the best case scenario for determining an alternate should be the highest sectional placer who was eliminated in Round 1.   In the event of a tie of that placement then the alternate position falls to the person form the regional champions sectional.

Right, because as it is, we're almost perfectly following criteria for finding the WORST guy in the bracket.  If a 1-seed wins the tournament, his first round opponent was the 4th place guy from the sectional that crowned the lesser of the two sectional champs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.