Riding time on ESPN

Barrq

I was initially bothered by it, but then i realized that they always do have a graphic as the 1 minute mark is coming and then passing.  And the announcers have been doing a good job of continuing to mention it and help us track with it

It's because they think riding time is ridiculous too.

I know you don't officiate college (though you may have at times, not sure).  You clearly don't like riding time, but what's your feeling on the positives vs negatives? Philosophically speaking, I don't love the idea of being rewarded for holding a guy down; but the indirect impact is of course WAY more neutral choices (and therefore more neutral wrestling) with guys protecting or defending against a riding time point.  I'm kind of on the fence...I used to hate it, but I've seen so many big matches end up in great neutral situations because of it.  What's your feeling?

I know you don't officiate college (though you may have at times, not sure).  You clearly don't like riding time, but what's your feeling on the positives vs negatives? Philosophically speaking, I don't love the idea of being rewarded for holding a guy down; but the indirect impact is of course WAY more neutral choices (and therefore more neutral wrestling) with guys protecting or defending against a riding time point.  I'm kind of on the fence...I used to hate it, but I've seen so many big matches end up in great neutral situations because of it.  What's your feeling?

Imagine how much more action there would be if there was no riding time and stalling was called like it should be. Or only reward the riding time point if NF was earned. Riding time promotes stalling! A lady friend of mine who knows very little about wrestling calls it "that extra point they get for not trying to score."

Riding time adds about as much value to wrestling as a deep fried snickers does to nutrition.

Not to turn this thread into a riding time debate but...

I love riding time; I think it makes matches more interesting.  Furthermore, I find that it is less often that you find guys taking a rest on bottom.  When going back to watch high school wrestling, after watching a lot of college wrestling, it is often frustrating to watch a kid rest on bottom for almost a whole period only to escape in the final seconds of a period when he finally makes an effort to escape.  In my opinion, the top wrestler should be rewarded for his riding efforts and the bottom wrestler should be punished for his laziness. 

Not to turn this thread into a riding time debate but...

I love riding time; I think it makes matches more interesting.  Furthermore, I find that it is less often that you find guys taking a rest on bottom.  When going back to watch high school wrestling, after watching a lot of college wrestling, it is often frustrating to watch a kid rest on bottom for almost a whole period only to escape in the final seconds of a period when he finally makes an effort to escape.  In my opinion, the top wrestler should be rewarded for his riding efforts and the bottom wrestler should be punished for his laziness.

I knew I should have called you for stalling more often.  ;D

Even though the point wasn't the deciding factor in the Schopp Quiroga match, watching Schopp on top, he seemed to do just that, in locking from a back/side headlock and rode most of it not really advancing his move a lot of the time. He was sitting there waiting for Quiroga to move while he was racking up the seconds/minutes for riding time. He did get nearfall eventually but mostly sat out to the side, once he did turn him, Quiroga knew he was close to catching him on his back, he really rode it out like that on top.

Would be nice as Greco said, riding time point is only accumulated when the wrestler scores nearfall, with 1+ of time in top position. 

Either way, it'd be nice if stalling was called more often in high school to push the tempo of wrestling. One reason I like freestyle, takes away top/bottom stalling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.