State Finals Trends

ENoblewrestling

What were some of the trends that you noticed from this weekend?

Here are three things that stood out to me-

1. Wrestling on a knee, or both knees- seemed like the light guys in the finals spent a majority of the match there.  I found it interesting, seemed like every kid 106-132 spent some of the time there.  Will this be a fad, or something that continues to grow in our sport?

2. Funk Rolls-  I saw a ton of funk this weekend.  It seems like this is something that has rapidly increased over the past few seasons, and something that as coaches we need to be working on if we want to get to the next level.  I know i'll be searching youtube this summer for funk techniques.

3. Lack of leg riding-  seems like leg riding was not as effective as it had been in the past.  Thats not to say that it still wasn't around, but you don't see guys get rode out for entire periods due to legs at the finals very often anymore.  Did any of the finalists use legs very effectively in the championship matches besides Kelley?

I got to go with the planned injury time outs.  Not naming names, but there are a couple wrestlers that have an injury timeout at the same time of every match.  Annoying.

I was a little disapointed in the pace of the matches in the final round, as was a little slow.  I understand the wrestlers dont want to take  a risk and put them out of a match, but the wretling was very conservative.

I think that wrestling on the knees and funking out (leg pass) was made popular by the PA kids.  If you go back and watch PA state on Flo from a few years ago you will see a lot of the same trends you saw this past weekend.  IMO we are just catching up with PA and following their fads, same as injury time-outs (water break).

I think that wrestling on the knees and funking out (leg pass) was made popular by the PA kids.  If you go back and watch PA state on Flo from a few years ago you will see a lot of the same trends you saw this past weekend.  IMO we are just catching up with PA and following their fads, same as injury time-outs (water break).

I wrestled in college in early 2000's and there was funk and knee wrestling then. florida kids were big at funking.

I got to go with the planned injury time outs.  Not naming names, but there are a couple wrestlers that have an injury timeout at the same time of every match.  Annoying.

I love it.  As a past competitor and now a coach, I use it as a positive for our wrestlers.  We state to the kids that it is a sign of weakness!  Now in a physiological effect, if I recall right in advanced anatomy class, stopping after hard activity for short times without moving, I believe that lactic acid starts to accumulate in the muscle cells or some think the depletion of potassium in muscle cells causes this, nonetheless there is something to it.  So, I would believe that sitting still for a minute or two on the mat would be a disadvantage to that athlete and slow that athletes reactions.  Now my athlete has a psychological and physical advantage!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.