Wayne County Classic 1/10 1/11

bigmak

Semi State rankings and other notables to watch for today and tomorrow:

#2 Chapman Luster- Franklin Central 10 (8th in state)

#5 Daniel Davis- Lafayette Harrison 12

#10 Jesse Newton- Lincoln 11

unranked Cameron Coffman- Union County 9 (spartan classic 7th place)

unranked Gage Pace- Franklin County 11 (2013 SSQ @ 106 & spartan classic 7th place) sick

unranked Alston Jenkinson- Centerville 11 (2013 SSQ @ 113)

unranked Sabastion Thompson- Winchester 10 (ECIC 2nd place)

#9 Dalton Hair- Franklin Central 11

unranked Johnny Loos- Franklin County (spartan classic 4th place)

#4 Jordan Vaughn-  Franklin Central  10  (7th in state)

#10 Alston Bane- Richmond 9 (spartan classic 3rd place)

unranked Phillip Orschell- Franklin County 12 (2013 SSQ @ 126)

unranked Vince Prescott- Winchester 9 (ECIC 4th place)

unranked Jayden Baker- Union City 10 (ECIC 6th place)

unranked Robert Ford- Monroe Central 11 (ECIC 2nd place)

#7 Tanner Smith- Franklin Central 12

#9 Austin Killion- Centerville 12 (spartan classic 7th place)

unranked Jordan Stuckey- Union City 10 (ECIC 8th place)

unranked Sheldon Stigleman- Monroe Central 10 (ECIC 7th place)

#5 Jack Roetker- Lafayette Harrison 12

#7 Christian Cox- Hagerstown 12 (spartan classic 7th place)

unranked Dakota Tipton- Centerville 12 (2012 SSQ @ 120)

unranked Garett Calhoun- Monroe Central 10 (ECIC 2nd place)

#5 Conner Armuth- Lafayette Harrison 11

#7 Evan Rigel- Franklin Central 12

unranked Thomas Underwood- Union City 11 (ECIC 5th place)

unranked Raven Hedden- Lafayette Harrison 12 (2013 SSQ @ 160)

unranked Kyle Anguiano- Union City 12 (ECIC champ)

unranked Nate Klingel- Winchester 10 (ECIC 3rd place)

#6 Emilio Aquino-Morales- Union County 12 (spartan classic 3rd place)

unranked Charlie Baron- Union City 11 (ECIC 3rd place)

unranked Jordan Sharp- Monroe Central 10 (ECIC 8th place)

#6 Grant Gough- Winchester 12 (ECIC champ)

#7 Jake Imbro- Franklin Central 12

#9 Bryce Robinson- Centerville 12 (spartan classic 6th place)

unranked Josh Orschell- Franklin County (spartan classic 8th place)

unranked Edgar Terriquez- Union City 12 (ECIC 4th place)

#8 Layne Harnishfeger- Franklin County 12 (spartan classic 4th place)

unranked Daniel Wright- Lafayette Harrison 11 (2013 SSQ @ 170)

unranked Dustyn Hangen- Winchester 11 (ECIC champ)

#2 Seth Vaughn‐ Franklin Central 12 (6th in state)

#4 Seth Meyer- Lafayette Harrison 11 (9th in state)

unranked Jacob Sofronko- Winchester 12 (ECIC 2nd place)

unranked Kaiser Phillips- Monroe Central 11 (ECIC champ)

#2 Nate Trawick- Richmond 11 (7th in state) (spartan classic 2nd place)

#5 Jordan Clay- Broad Ripple 12 (spartan classic 6th place)

#6 Logan Williams- Winchester 12 (ECIC 2nd place)

unranked Alex Henry- Union City 12 (ECIC 4th place)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sure they are allowed as schools have in the past but the question is weight allowance. i was thinking if one team doesnt have school and not practice then they are given additional allowance for weight which then goes across the board, but i dont know...thats always been confusing to me as I hear it different all the time. I know union county is coming tomorrow to richmond and they arent listed in the paper, not sure if there are others that same way...as I type this, was just informed by a UC wrestler that they may also be competing today at richmond as well

Pulled from another thread to explain the weight allowances due to weather.

"If one school at a meet doesn’t have practice the day before the meet each team at the event would be allowed a one (1) pound allowance.

If one school at a meet doesn’t have practice for the two days before the meet each team at the event would be allowed a two (2) pound allowance.

If one school at a meet doesn’t have practice for three or more days before the meet each team at the event would be allow a maximum of a two (2) pound allowance.

If all schools at an event have practice the day before a meet, no allowance would be allowed.  The home school, or the Ads cannot get together and decide to allow a growth

It is considered a practice if it is voluntary or mandatory.

Tom Clark & Jim Russell

IHSAA Rules Interpreters"

Mak,

If Pace is there, it will be in street clothes. We found out he has strep and was not able to go to school today. I got word from FC head coach this morning that they will be at Centerville tomorrow. Mak, you are hearing Richmond? Still confused on where it's going down.

That's good to hear t, hat UCo is going to compete in this.  It would be even better if they got to wrestle the TEC schools they don't do so normally, seeking ther competition.  Is good for the TEC tournament seeding, those teams being Hagerstown, Lincoln, Northeastern, Union City.  Have done wrestled Winchester and will have a dual with Centerville coming up.  Hope it all works out and goes smoothly.

Mak,

If Pace is there, it will be in street clothes. We found out he has strep and was not able to go to school today. I got word from FC head coach this morning that they will be at Centerville tomorrow. Mak, you are hearing Richmond? Still confused on where it's going down.

Taken directly from Pal-Item newspaper online this morning...

"To say the inaugural Wayne County wrestling tournament was a success would be an understatement.

Same goes for Richmond High School’s first Charlie Hilton Invitational.

This year, both will be combined starting tonight, with improved numbers and expectations.

Richmond, Anderson, Broad Ripple, Hagerstown, Lincoln, Northeastern, Winchester, Monroe Central, Centerville, Franklin County, Franklin Central, Indianapolis Washington, Union City and Lafayette Harrison will all make their way to Tiernan Center for the two-day event.

Tonight, the Wayne County tournament will be held in Richmond’s small gym, while the first round of the Charlie Hilton Invitational will be held at Tiernan Center’s main gym.

The second round of the Hilton invite will be Saturday with each team guaranteed eight dual matches.

“It’s good, especially for young, inexperienced teams,” Richmond coach Jeremy Bane said.

“All the kids will get to wrestle eight matches, unlike the Spartan Classic where if you go 0-2 you go home. It’s a dual format. Every kid’s going to get eight matches.”

Richmond will face Monroe Central, Winchester and Union City tonight, while the Falcons also face Anderson and Broad Ripple, and Union City is expected to see Broad Ripple and Anderson.

In the first round of the county tournament, Centerville and Lincoln will meet, as will Hagerstown and Northeastern.

“I expect us to pick up where we left off this past weekend,” Centerville coach Mike Day said of his team, which went 3-2 at last Saturday’s Heritage Hills Tournament.

Hagerstown rallied for a thrilling victory over Centerville in the championship dual of the first Wayne County tournament last year, while Northeastern defeated Lincoln in the consolation match.

“I think we set the standard,” said first-year Hagerstown coach John Markward, who was an assistant last year. “ … It sets a goal for us to meet and exceed, to try and keep coming back for that championship.”

Northeastern and Lincoln both have increased numbers this season and look to make a stronger showing, though both are young.Just one double-forfeit took place when the teams met in a dual, which Northeastern won 54-18.

Richmond went 5-0 during the second day of last year’s Charlie Hilton Invitational and the Red Devils were 5-2 over the two days. “We’ll wrestle some good programs,” Bane said. “Once you get into (state) tournament, you’ve got to be able to wrestle a lot of matches in a few days. It’s good for that. It also allows everybody to wrestle eight matches.”

Richmond has held invitationals in the past, but last year’s was the first to bear Hilton’s name.

Hilton was a longtime wrestling coach and athletic director at RHS who died in September 2012. He coached the Red Devils to a wrestling state championship in 1958 that they shared with Broad Ripple.

Both Hagerstown and Centerville finished with six weight-class champions in last year’s county tourney. Returning among them are Luke Markley, Alston Jenkinson, Isaiah Michaels, Dakota Tipton and Enrique Calderon of Centerville, while Christian Cox and Alex Cox won weight-class championships for Hagerstown. Mitchell Burelison of Centerville and Tyler Scholl of Hagerstown shared the 132-pound title.

Centerville recently won the Class A title at the Connersville Spartan Classic, where Bryce Robinson placed sixth and Austin Killion was seventh. All 14 Bulldogs won at least one match at the event.

“We haven’t had much time to practice this week, but we’re all in the same boat,” Day said. “Things could be a little interesting just because of the off time. We’re just excited about getting back out there and wrestling.”

For Richmond, the Red Devils feature two-time semistate qualifier Nate Trawick, a junior who is ranked No. 7 in the state among heavyweights. Trawick has placed second in the past two Spartan Classics. Richmond freshman Alston Bane spent much of the season ranked, but fell out of the rankings in the most recent poll. He was third at Connersville, while Christian Cox was seventh there for the Tigers."

That's good to hear t, hat UCo is going to compete in this.  It would be even better if they got to wrestle the TEC schools they don't do so normally, seeking ther competition.  Is good for the TEC tournament seeding, those teams being Hagerstown, Lincoln, Northeastern, Union City.  Have done wrestled Winchester and will have a dual with Centerville coming up.  Hope it all works out and goes smoothly.

is that confirmed Fanman? I only included them because I was messaged this morning by a UC wrestler saying they were going saturday only, then later again saying both days...but definately no other word on it...just hoping they are.

is that confirmed Fanman? I only included them because I was messaged this morning by a UC wrestler saying they were going saturday only, then later again saying both days...but definately no other word on it...just hoping they are.

Yes Union County will be there

Monroe Central is not coming tonight (not enough kids have been able to get to practice), but will be there tomorrow. Notables mentioned @ 220 brings up Sofronko. Kaiser Phillips, MC, will be there and he's the one that defeated Sofronko by pin in the first period at ECIC...excited for the great competition that will be there!  Should be a great test to see how he might perform at tournament time. 

Monroe Central is not coming tonight (not enough kids have been able to get to practice), but will be there tomorrow. Notables mentioned @ 220 brings up Sofronko. Kaiser Phillips, MC, will be there and he's the one that defeated Sofronko by pin in the first period at ECIC...excited for the great competition that will be there!  Should be a great test to see how he might perform at tournament time.

I updated the notables with the MC placers at ECIC...thanks

From the paper, Union County wrestled Hagerstown, but no score posted for that, an who else did UCo wrestle.  Also, it didn't have Aquino going 3-0, so, who did he lose too? 

From the paper, Union County wrestled Hagerstown, but no score posted for that, an who else did UCo wrestle.  Also, it didn't have Aquino going 3-0, so, who did he lose too?

Aquino got beat by someone from blue river. Don't know the name but I'm guessing Noah pope. Had a counter for anything Aquino tried. Don't know scores.

At the Wayne Co/Charlie Hilton tournament, several wrestlers caught my eye with great efforts, big wins and near misses. 1st off 99.9% of the kids showed really great sportsmanship, well done coaches! Since the matches were split between 2 gyms, I didn't get to see all the teams matchup. I'm not sure of his name or record but the HWT from Winchester was very impressive. Union County as a team looked extremely tough, all the kids battled. I saw several kids bump up a class and wrestle a tougher class rather than take a forfeit, win or lose, that extra mat time will pay off boys!  Cox from Hagerstown looked great as did Coffman, Bowers & Aquino from UCo. Hats off to my guy Colton Handley going 7-1. Like I said, I didn't see everything, just giving my opinion.

Not sure if I was watching the same wrestling as everyone else but from what I saw franklin central dominated going 5-0 with the closest team losing to them by 40

Isn't that supposed to be the case. I saw several franklin central wrestlers lose matches I was shocked to see. Vaughn lost against bane, almost list against michaels. T-dog looked got killed by cox. There were more but just pointing out some things to say yes, they dominated but they should have too and it's not like they all had it easy.

I wouldn't say killed is the right word. He lost 8-1 to a really good cox. And with no practice for 5 days, I'm sure it's understandable how a few kids will be a little rusty. Also it's not like these schools don't have any good wrestlers. I would say losing 2 or 3 matchs out of 14 is about what is expected out of FC at this tourney

I wouldn't say killed is the right word. He lost 8-1 to a really good cox. And with no practice for 5 days, I'm sure it's understandable how a few kids will be a little rusty. Also it's not like these schools don't have any good wrestlers. I would say losing 2 or 3 matchs out of 14 is about what is expected out of FC at this tourney

Killed is kinda strong. Sorry lol. I'm honestly glad they come to this, these smaller schools kids need someone to keep them on their toes to remind them they need more mat time to get better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.