NICK LEE...

Nutterbutter

I can see two scenarios going down between them. One-Micic beats him but its close so Lee moves up a little in National ranks. And two-Lee beats Micic and Micic and Lee both fall out of the rankings. Number two would happen because most writers will think maybe they over ranked Micic if a freshman beats him. I know of all of Lees resume and I'M not saying he isn't deserving of being highly ranked. Matter of fact I think he should be in the top 10 in the nation. I'm just saying that there are a ton of other wrestlers that have done 3-4 years of high school and have similar resumes as Lee and a sports writer from another area would be more inclined to drop Micic.

If I were Lee I would just focus on the mat and let the rest shake itself out. No one in Indiana has a doubt that Micic and Lee are a step above, maybe more than everyone else. I'm just looking forward to the match up should it happen, sbould be a barn burner.

Scenario 2 is absurd.  So if Lee were to beat the #1 kid in the country, both would drop completely out of the rankings?  Makes no sense at all.  One loss would not make Micic fall that far.  And how would Lee be penalized for beating #1?  If anything, this is just a guess, both would be right around #10 if that were to happen.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scenario 2 is absurd.  So if Lee were to beat the #1 kid in the country, both would drop completely out of the rankings?  Makes no sense at all.  One loss would not make Micic fall that far.  And how would Lee be penalized for beating #1?  If anything, this is just a guess, both would be right around #10 if that were to happen.

i agree, scenario #2 is just outright out of the box thinking.  If Micic was to lose (which I don't think he will), he would still be top 5 for sure.  Now Lee's ranking would be harder for me to figure out.  Not quite sure how you can be a top 10 wrestler based off 1 win, even if that win is against a debatable #1 wrestler.  I think if Lee wins, he's a 11-15 at best.

i agree, scenario #2 is just outright out of the box thinking.  If Micic was to lose (which I don't think he will), he would still be top 5 for sure.  Now Lee's ranking would be harder for me to figure out.  Not quite sure how you can be a top 10 wrestler based off 1 win, even if that win is against a debatable #1 wrestler.  I think if Lee wins, he's a 11-15 at best.

Lee would make a huge jump. The main reason he isn't ranked right now is lack of a complete resume. Right now he basically has two events on his resume(3rd at Fargo, 2nd at FILA Cadets). It is harder for someone to crack the rankings as a freshman unless you are 113lbs or less. Everyone ahead of him has some nice resumes to this point.

Lee would make a huge jump. The main reason he isn't ranked right now is lack of a complete resume. Right now he basically has two events on his resume(3rd at Fargo, 2nd at FILA Cadets). It is harder for someone to crack the rankings as a freshman unless you are 113lbs or less. Everyone ahead of him has some nice resumes to this point.

His placement at those events are very solid.  The actual problem is not the weight that he competed at, it's the competition that he competed against.  The only ranked wrestler he competed against at Fargo was Zahid and he lost to him and dominated everyone else.  The rest of the competition has never been ranked.  At Fila Cadet, he lost to Sean Fausz and beat some solid competition but once again, no ranked names.  It's not his fault that the competition wasn't there but it is what it is. 

I completely understand why he would go to Flia Cade & Cadet Nationals but in order to get ranked, the better choice might've been a pre/post season folkstyle event.  FloNatonals had 3 ranked wrestlers in the bracket.  Super32, all 8 placers are ranked.  Placing in the Super32 bracket gets him on the board for sure.

I'm sure if anyone wanted to take the time to research, they could find ALOT of incoming freshman who was ranked above 113# going into HS.  jmo

Just looking at the AWN Rankings from November 7th there was one freshman above 113 ranked

http://awn.theopenmat.com/2013/11/awn-high-school-wrestling-rankings-november-7-2013/

And none in the October 17th rankings

http://awn.theopenmat.com/2013/10/awn-high-school-wrestling-rankings-october-17-2013/

In the 2012 preseason there were 4(Pico, Hall, Manville and Reenen)

http://awn.theopenmat.com/2012/10/amateur-wrestling-news-national-high-school-wrestling-rankings/

Just looking at the AWN Rankings from November 7th there was one freshman above 113 ranked

http://awn.theopenmat.com/2013/11/awn-high-school-wrestling-rankings-november-7-2013/

And none in the October 17th rankings

http://awn.theopenmat.com/2013/10/awn-high-school-wrestling-rankings-october-17-2013/

In the 2012 preseason there were 4(Pico, Hall, Manville and Reenen)

http://awn.theopenmat.com/2012/10/amateur-wrestling-news-national-high-school-wrestling-rankings/

Thanks for researching that info.  I'm surprised the numbers are so low.  Would you agree or disagree that had Lee attended Super32 and placed he would be ranked?  I have no doubt he would be ranked.

Thanks for researching that info.  I'm surprised the numbers are so low.  Would you agree or disagree that had Lee attended Super32 and placed he would be ranked?  I have no doubt he would be ranked.

He most likely would have been ranked.  I know some of the kids he beat at Fargo and FILA Cadets have been in and out of the rankings over the past couple years. Mark Voss, Jarrod Ganger, and Lincoln Olsen have all been top kids nationally.

As I said the rankings are basically a ranking based on a wrestler's resume to date. You hear the rankers say this a lot. Obviously freshmen have less of a resume at that point in their career. Guys like Pico, Hall and Manville had pretty solid resumes before even taking one freshman class.

He most likely would have been ranked.  I know some of the kids he beat at Fargo and FILA Cadets have been in and out of the rankings over the past couple years. Mark Voss, Jarrod Ganger, and Lincoln Olsen have all been top kids nationally.

As I said the rankings are basically a ranking based on a wrestler's resume to date. You hear the rankers say this a lot. Obviously freshmen have less of a resume at that point in their career. Guys like Pico, Hall and Manville had pretty solid resumes before even taking one freshman class.

Your right about Voss, Ganger & Olsen but don't recall them ever breaking the top 10 and they never stayed in the rankings for long.  I think they are more of a reach to be used to jump in the rankings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.