Elkhart Memorial Charger Invite

charger.dad

Glogouski/Davis was about as good of a match as it gets, especially early on in the season.

no doubt.....it took a late score by davis to win it......he is just relentless......there is no quit in that kid.......and tieshawn johnson over woods 6-5 along with winning the most valuable wrestler.....

Always a great meet for all wrestler (every kid get five matches-counting forfeits). Nic set up a great legacy. Does anyone have a location where I can find results?

Hang loose and look at the Elkhart Truth tomorrow.  Steve Kral is an awesome wrestling reporter and should have the goods and a story to boot.

Hang loose and look at the Elkhart Truth tomorrow.  Steve Kral is an awesome wrestling reporter and should have the goods and a story to boot.

Kind of sad  but true , the Elkhart Truth always blows away the South Bend Tribune when it comes to wrestling coverage .

Article is already up, pretty nice coverage

http://m.elkharttruth.com/article/20131214/SPORT01/712149939&template=wirelessart

From the Elkhart Truth by Steve Krah........

ELKHART — Tieshawn Johnson wrestled like he had something to prove.

That’s because that’s how the Elkhart Memorial High School views his senior season.

“I want to go out on top and win a state title,” said Johnson, a 195-pounder who went 5-0 Saturday, Dec. 14, at the 31st annual Jim Nicholson Charger Invitational hosted by Memorial while moving his 2013-14 season record to 14-0, the last win — a 6-5 decision — coming in a bloodbath against Penn sophomore Kobe Woods (9-1), a state finalist at 220 in 2012-13.

“I got the first two takedowns in the first period and I think that’s what sealed the deal (against Woods),” said Johnson, who was named the meet’s outstanding wrestler. “I just kept hand-fighting, circling and hitting my moves the best way I could.

“I had to go out and prove myself.”

Johnson, who went 36-5 and was a semistate qualifier in 2012-13, competed at 195, but typically weighed about 180. This year, he needs to cut a few pounds to stay at 195.

“It’s a big improvement,” said Johnson.

Woods had the day’s fastest pin at 19 seconds in the first round.

Nine Kingsmen Reign

Another of one of the more exciting final-round matches came at 126 where Penn senior Zack Davis rallied to beat Fairfield senior Forrest Glogouski 9-6.

Davis came into the match at 8-1 with his lone 2013-14 loss coming last week against Hanover Central’s Stevan Micic (who beat Davis for the IHSAA 113-pound championship last February).

Glogouski, a semistate qualifier at 120 last winter, was 23-0.

“It back and forth,” said Davis. “(Glogouski is a) really good wrestler.

“I kept pushing the whole time.”

With a state title as a goal, Davis has increased taken things up a notch this season.

“I’ve been doing a lot more lifting and cardio than I did last year,” said Davis. “I’ve really improved my technique a lot.”

Led by nine individual champions in Davis, Clayton Stohler (Hwt), Jeff Wiseman (182), Chase Osborn (170), Joey Mammolenti (160), Alex Rinehart (152), Jarod Swank (138), Austin Slates (113), Drew Hildebrandt (106), Penn took the team title Saturday.

Penn is ranked No. 2 in the latest Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association poll. Kingsmen coach Brad Harper likes the test his team gets at the Charger Invitational.

“This is a great tournament for our team because we see some great individuals,” said Harper. “We had some good matches which is going to be great for down the road.”

‘D-Lo’ On A Roll

Concord senior DeLawrence “D-Lo” Gayfield won at 120, moving to 12-0 on the season.

Gayfield, who placed sixth at the 2012-13 IHSAA State Finals at 113, has improved for his last high school go-around.

“My neutral position got a lot better,” said Gayfield. “I got faster and stronger and everything. I can penetrate and get better shots. I struggled at state on bottom so I’ve been building on that so I can get up and out.”

Gayfield said he might have competed at 113 this season if he had gotten his skin fold test done at that weight, but expects to stay at 120 at least for the early part of the campaign.

Other Unbeatens

Besides Memorial’s Johnson, Concord’s Gayfield, Penn’s Mammolenti (10-0), Hildebrandt (10-0) and Wiseman (9-0) and Jimtown’s Konner Chafin (11-0), Northridge’s Ryan Baxter (12-0) left the Memorial Fieldhouse with a spotless season record.

What’s been the key to success for Baxter, the Raiders’ 145-pound senior?

“I’ve been hitting my low-single and slide-by and just pushing the other kid,” said Baxter. “I haven’t been taken down yet (this season).”

A year ago, Baxter was a semistate qualifier at 138.

“I’ve just cleaned things up (from last year) and added a few shots,” said Baxter. (As a senior,) this is my last shot at things.”

Elkhart Central junior Eliseo Guerra (220) knocked Northridge junior Isaac Zickafoose (9-1) from the ranks of the unbeaten with a pin in the final round.

“I feel I’m in a lot better shape (than last season),” said Guerra. “I like to stay a little bit lower (than 220) so I am faster than most of the people.”

Wrestling

Elkhart Memorial Jim Nicholson Charger Invitational

Team scores: Penn 539, Elkhart Memorial 315, Jimtown 313, Elkhart Central 279, Fairfield 275, Northridge 269, Concord 153, Huntington North 0 (did not compete because of winter weather).

Outstanding wrestler: Tieshawn Johnson (Memorial) 5-0 with 3 pins at 195.

Unbeaten wrestlers on the day: 106 — Drew Hildebrandt (P). 113 — Austin Slates (P). 120 — DeLawrence Gayfield (Co). 126 — Zack Davis (P). 132 — Konner Chafin (J). 138 — Jarod Swank (P). 145 — Ryan Baxter (Nr). 152 — Alex Rinehart (P). 160 — Joey Mammolenti (P). 170 — Chase Osborn (P). 182 — Jeff Wiseman (P). 195 — Tieshawn Johnson (EM). 220 — Eliseo Guerra (EC). Hwt — Clayton Stohler (P).

Final Order of Finish

106: 1. Drew Hildebrandt (P); 2. Blake Glogouski (F); 3. Brent Mishler (EC); 4. Travis Vance (J). Forfeit — 5. Northridge; 6. Elkhart Memorial forfiet; 7. Concord; 8. Huntington North.

113: 1. Austin Slates (P); 2. Jake Egnor (EC); 3. Johnny Attkisson (EM); 4. Jalyn Yoder (F); 5. Brody Erb (Nr). Forfeit — 6. Jimtown; 7. Concord; 8. Huntington North.

120: 1. DeLawrence Gayfield (Co); 2. Jarrett Selis (P); 3. Marcus Mejia (EM); 4. Dillon Yoder (F); 5. Chaz Boyd (EC); 6. Greden Kelley (J). Forfeit — 7. Northridge; 8. Huntington North.

126: 1. Zack Davis (P); 2. Forrest Glogouski (F); 3. Jay Franko (J); 4. Jayden Hannah (EM); 5. Mason Cross (Nr); 6. Erick Castro (Co). Forfeit — 7. Elkhart Central; 8. Huntington North.

132: 1. Konner Chafin (J); 2. Cameron Beam (P); 3. Trever Yoder (F); 4. Chris Howe (Nr); 5. Blade Corpe (EM); 6, Evan Dulworth (EC). Forfeit — 7. Concord; 8. Huntington North.

138: 1. Jarod Swank (P); 2. Jon Yoder (Nr); 3. Zeke Torres (EC); 4. Kenny Kerrn (J); 5. Phillip Matthiak (EM); 6. Seth Shroyer (Co); 7. Josh Dreier (F). Forfeit — 8. Huntington North.

145: 1. Ryan Baxter (Nr); 2. Tommy Varner (P); 3. Cole Watson (J); 4. Jacob Curry (F); 5. Ronnie Longbrake (EM); 6. Chayce Baker. Forfeit — 7. Concord; 8. Huntington North.

152: 1. Alex Rinehart (P); 2. Tony Zook (F); 3. Cameron Weiss (J); 4. Chris Morris (EM); 5. Leandro Rodriguez (Co); 6. Devin Rudloff (Nr). Forfeit — 7. Elkhart Central; 8. Huntington North.

160: 1. Joey Mammolenti (P); 2. Nick Maher (Nr); 3. Kane Rohrer (F); 4. Dalton Heintzberger (J); 5. Austin Scott (EM); 6. Josh Stover. Forfeit — 7. Elkhart Central; 8. Huntington North.

170: 1. Chase Osborn (P); 2. Casey Adams (J); 3. Jon Osoria (EM); 4. Dylan Swank (Nr); 5. Gage Mosiman (EC). Forfeit — 6. Concord; 7. Fairfield; 8. Huntington North.

182: 1. Jeff Wiseman (P); 2. David Eli (EM); 3. Alex Troup (J); 4. Jared Tucker (EC); 5. Michael Rockenbaugh (Co); 6. Tuxson Cox (F); 7. Nick Kujawa (Nr). Forfeit — 8. Huntington North.

195: 1. Tieshawn Johnson (EM); 2. Kobe Woods (P); 3. Jesus Nunez (EC); 4. Ben Davis (J); 5. Carlos Jiminez (Co); 6. Brayden Bontrager (F). Forfeit — 7. Northridge; 8. Huntington North.

220: 1. Eliseo Guerra (EC); 2. Isaac Zickafoose (Nr); 3. Cody Spurgeon (J); 4. Kyle Treber (P); 5. Dalton Haab (F); 6. Alex Richards (EM). Forfeit — 7. Concord; 8. Huntington North.

Hwt: 1. Clayton Stohler (P); 2. Lucas Wickey (Nr); 3. Nick Mammolenti (J); 4. Tevis McDonald (EM); 5. Vincent Snipes (EC); 6. Andrew Hagar (F). Forfeit — 7. Concord; 8. Huntington North.

Good Tourney ::: Except when you have matches like at 106 and 126 , 4 guys expected to make it to state and might be under the lights, with fans that came out to watch those matches .. They wrestle them at the same time . I personal thought that was not the thing to do . 

Good Tourney ::: Except when you have matches like at 106 and 126 , 4 guys expected to make it to state and might be under the lights, with fans that came out to watch those matches .. They wrestle them at the same time . I personal thought that was not the thing to do .

I think the reasoning was that with the weather being so bad that they were trying to get it over so the busses could get everyone home safe.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.