2 wrestlers entered in one weight class?

layinlow

are you sure he went 1-3? Because if you do pools, first criteria would actually be record.  If he was 3-1 also then it would have been a 3 way tie for first in the pool and likely go by team points. If his record was in fact 1-3 then whoever was working it must have mixed the records up or something.

I am refering to the heavyweight.  Was there another weight that had 2 wrestlers from the same school?

One of my wrestlers was directly effected by this he beat the "extra wrestler" who went into the finals with a 1-3 record wrestling for 3-4.....where as my guy had a record of 3-1 was wrestling for 5-6 because of the way the pools went shouldn't first criteria be head to head matchups?

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post previously.  I am refering to the heavyweight class.  Was there more weight classes that had 2 wrestlers from the same school?

Ok

I want to talk big picture here.  Lets just try and come up with reason for and against teams

filling in open spots with good JV kids.

For..

1) less forfeits for the varsity guys.

2) fills out tournaments so that guys get more matches

3) JV wrestlers get some varsity level competition

4) Coach of the JV kids gets to use more JV matches for one of the guys behind him on the depth cart.

5) Coaches get opportunities to see 2 wresters that are very close in wrestle off compete on the same level

6) Guys that beat JV kid have better overall record.

Against...

1) Guys that get beat by JV kid has a worse overall record.

2)  Less possible team points if wrestler get beat by JV kid

3)  Possible to have 2 kids from the same school in the finals

Lets here more on both sides.

Against...

1) Guys that get beat by JV kid has a worse overall record.

Lets here more on both sides.

Who is worried about this?  Mom and Dad?  He was going to be leaving with two losses anyway if he can't be the JV wrestler. 

I've seen this done at a number of tournaments that I've worked and seen it work well with little negative response. The differnce being advanced communication and planning on the part of the tournament director. In order for this to work and work fairly, teams/schools/coaches need to know in advance that this is an option, therefore, allowing them to be prepared for the process.

As TripleB mentioned earlier, this was done at the Jeff Classic last year. They new that the tournament was going to be short a team, so, in order to fill the brackets of the tournament they notified the schools/coaches in advance that there would be openings at each weight and asked the coaches to help fill those openings. It worked well and from what I heard the coaches liked having the opportunities for their kids. But, again there was ample advanced communication and an organized plan in place.

160 had two wrestlers from same schools as well

Is that a good thing or bad thing?  I would like to here from  your side

why this is bad for our sport.  I am not trying to be combative on this subject.

I am just trying to understand your side.  As it stands right now.  I would

hate to see this practice go away.  In fact I would like to see it happen more often.

I am all for getting more quality matches for good JV guys.

If the IHSAA allows for multiple "varsity" teams, then could a school technically enter both their varsity teams into a regular season tournament?  (I know postseason they can not) Since both teams are considered varsity, then their would be no "jv" matches on anybodies record.

I understand that you have some frustration with the way you believe this was

handled.  I would just hate to see tournament director stop allowing JV guys to

enter because it upsets a few people. This is one of those situations that the good of

the group out ways  the negative for the few.

I know I was unaware of the fact we could have extra wrestlers in the tournament I had plenty of guys in the stands that would of loved to been out there as well....... i'm with layinlow on this one make it available or let it be known you can enter extra guys.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.