Weight Class Change for the 2016 Olympics

fwrestler

Kind of surprised no one has brought this up yet.  For the 2016 Olympics in Rio, one weight class will be cut from men's freestyle and greco, and two will be added to women's freestyle, meaning there will be six weight classes in each style.  According to the AP, FILA proposed the change in order to "create more equality as wrestling tries to remain in the Olympics for the 2020 Summer Games."  Is this good for the sport or not?  And which weight class will be cut?  In my opinion, it would make the most sense to merge the 55 and 60 kg weight classes into a 58 kg class in order to avoid even larger gaps in the middleweights than there already are.

Heard about this over the summer from a few USAW higher ups. From my understanding it was a give-and-take scenario, a bit of politics as usual.  Word on the street is we have the best odds to remain, but nothing is guaranteed until next months vote.  Changing the rules to make it more fan friendly and balancing men's and women's weight classes was show of good faith, and the winner has more than likely already been chosen.  While I don't necessarily agree with some of the changes, if wrestling stays in the Olympics in 2020 as a result, I roll with it.  If things work out, this whole scenario could have been the best thing to revitalize this generations awareness of our sport, and wrestling can further be used as a tool to cross divisional lines across the world! I can also keep my Olympic posters up and stop my secret plan Operation: Boycott Everything (stage 3). #SaveOlympicWrestling :)

I guess the confusing part is how is ELIMINATING a weight class more fan friendly? why not just add more womens weight classes?

It comes down to keeping total participants quota for the Olympics at a certain number, while trying to create more equality between male/female participation.

It comes down to keeping total participants quota for the Olympics at a certain number, while trying to create more equality between male/female participation.

I can buy that....it being whats best for the sport is a different story though. Feels like we are being forced to jump through so many hoops for the IOC. Some good Some not so much

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.