Wrestling With Corruption at the Olympics

Y2CJ41

Makes me sick. Maybe wrestling is better off not being a part of something so extremely unethical. This could be an opportunity to create something completely different and focused 100% on the sport of wrestling outside of high school/college. IOC gives you lemons........

the 4 matches it gets on tv? you get just as much if not more from the NCAAs

I think its more like 2 abbreviated matches.  TV coverage was non-existant in Olympics.  At least with NCAAs you get all 10 matches of the finals and a lot more on ESPN U.  Dont they cover the semis?

Makes me sick. Maybe wrestling is better off not being a part of something so extremely unethical. This could be an opportunity to create something completely different and focused 100% on the sport of wrestling outside of high school/college. IOC gives you lemons........

Absolutely agree... Although the Olympics are clearly a great showcase for the sport regardless of the obvious corruption surrounding the IOC dirt bags.

2016… every wrestling medalist from all countries should accept their medal on the podium. After the ceremony leave their medals on the podium in a show of solidarity and protest. How indelible of a mark on Olympic history would that leave, along with a worldwide slap in the face for the IOC? Remember the three track athletes with their fists in the air? 

In addition to the link Fabio Jr. posted previously below is the link to Anthony Robles interview on the tonight show with Jay Leno

Maybe I should have said...wrestlers with two legs. Robles was very much an exception.  I have never heard of Dustin Kilgore or Frank Molinaro being on any big time shows.

You are forgetting that in many parts of the world most, if not all of the matches are shown either live or taped delayed.

The Olympic Games are more than TV coverage, more than selling the sponsors products, more than the glitz and glitter. I have been involved in two of them. The intensity and emotion doesn't compare to any event I have ever been a part of.

Yes money, greed and corporate sponsorships has corrupted the administrative side of it....but, that has nothing to do with the athletes and their dreams.

Some of you don't see the big picture....if wrestling is eliminated from the Games, administrators and AD's will make the cuts at the collegite level. In 1982 we had 128 D-1 schools competing, now we have 78. More cuts means less opportunities and it won't take long for that to trickle down to the high school level.

You think it's not a big deal...wait and see or should I saw read 'em and weap.

Tom Clark

Tom I can get behind that reasoning. I can't get behind the "air time and interviews one." I feel like we should find a way to battle the corruption but just accepting it and letting it go goes against the very principles of the sport we love as well as the games. Ill admit we probably have to do some "dirty" things to get back in but the fight shouldnt end there, its only the first period if you will. We need to find ways to fix the issue not put a bandaid on it. If wrestling has taught me anything its that hard work and perseverence can allow a man (or woman), a team, or a community to do unbelieveable things.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.