Hughs. 120

SLDchamp

its a tough call chasing points losing that ;45 seconds at the end of the 1st changes the match then wilson chose neutral if it was 0-0 he might have had to go under. Wilson had a nice game plan and with no stall warnings it s tough either way. Drew is a very smart wrestler and is well coached and had 2 guys who won under the lights in the chair. Hind sight is always 20/20. other then that I think Drew is the best wrestler in the state on top. I know he will be back

Is there ever an instance, such as this one where the coach should over rule the wrestler. I figured strength vs. strength. Wilson seemed to get the best of Hughes on his feet. It seemed Hughes best chance was to take top to use his strength vs. Wilson. At the very least, if it did not work at least he would have been in his best position (strength). I thought for sure Hughes was going to choose top. Only one or two guys this year that have not got turned or pinned by hughes in that position I do believe. Very impressed with Hughes and take my hat off to him. He will be back and only can imagine if he ever is in that predicament again he will choose top. Great job...

Region fan...

My theory is you have to get to your best position sometime during the match, did not happen this match.  Hats off to WC coaches for making the correct call of neutral in second period.  Thought Phillips should have elected to do the same in the semis. 

OTR, one turn ties the match up as opposed to the two scores of escape and takedown.  Some would have to wonder there even if you are not as tough on top as Hughes is, do you pick top anyway given that you have been beat twice on your feet and would need that TD for the tie.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.