Sportsmanship

oldandbroke

The fact is that shaking hands with the opposing coaches after a match is the norm in the state of Indiana.  We can debate all day about whether it is necessary (and personally I don't feel very strongly that it is) but the reality is that when coaches instruct their wrestlers not to shake opposing coaches' hands or refuse to shake the hands of wrestlers that approach them after a match, it creates uncomfortable situations and comes across as pretty arrogant. 

I attended a dual this season in which Bellmont's coaches spent the entire match standing behind their bench while a journalist that follows their team took pictures in the corner.  To me, that was a pretty blatant display of disrespect.  Regardless of your views on the necessity of the extra handshake at the end of a match, it is customary in this state, and acting like you are above it is not great sportsmanship.

Was it a regular dual? Coaches aren't allowed in corners during a regular dual and are supposed to stay behind the bench.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well apparently there are more teams out there because that was not the team I was referring to but it would make me just as sick.

i hear ya.......and you should hear what their football players say on the field.......it's really pitiful and you can see where the kids get it......from the adults!

Was it a regular dual? Coaches aren't allowed in corners during a regular dual and are supposed to stay behind the bench.

Sorry, gotta disagree with you on this one. At every h.s. dual meet ive been to over the last 6 years i havent ever seen coaches standing behind their bench. There have always been chairs for coaches to sit at at the edge/corner of the mat, away from their wrestlers and coaches typically occupy those chairs.

Sorry, gotta disagree with you on this one. At every h.s. dual meet ive been to over the last 6 years i havent ever seen coaches standing behind their bench. There have always been chairs for coaches to sit at at the edge/corner of the mat, away from their wrestlers and coaches typically occupy those chairs.

NFHS Wrestling Rule Book 2-2-1

For dual meets, all team personnel, including coaches, other than actual participating contestants shall be restricted to an area which is at least 10 feet from the edge of the mat and the scorer's table, where facilities permit.

There have always been chairs for coaches to sit at at the edge/corner of the mat, away from their wrestlers and coaches typically occupy those chairs.

To add to the above statement, chairs for coaches to sit at the edge/corner of the mat are allowed for tournament situations, but not for duals.

NFHS Wrestling Rule Book 2-2-1

For dual meets, all team personnel, including coaches, other than actual participating contestants shall be restricted to an area which is at least 10 feet from the edge of the mat and the scorer's table, where facilities permit.

Thanks for the chapter and verse but apparently most teams in northeast indiana are simply rebels and thumbing their noses at bobby cox. Im telling you that in all of the duals i have witnessed, there are always chairs available for the coaches to sit in and, with the exception of a very few, coaches use them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.