OTTs

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, Dake is nasty. Ties up Taylor's arms and puts him on his back, nearly pinning him. Dake making it look easy in period number 1.

Dake sticks Taylor Wow! Dake is a beast! Next yr should be awesome I wonder if Dake moves up to 165 to challenge Howe have 3 NCAA champions at one weight!! Not likely but would be nice

Russell went 1-2, beat Moore, lost to Zadick and Hochstrasser.

ANDREW ALERT!!!

Howe is up on Mat 3....tying up with Paulson, not much action

Wow Russel, thought he'd do Better but FS is a different breed hard to jump right in when wrestling against seasoned FS wrestler

Hildebrandt's performance in perspective: beats the 7th place finisher at the US Open, loses only to the 3rd and 4th place finishers in very closely contested matches. Excellent OTT debut for Hildebrandt.

Awesome! Great job Sarah, making Hoosiers pride! The future is bright for sure 2016 watching miracle & Hildebrant on team USA!

2nd period, more ties. Howe starting towork those big meat hooks to Paulson's dome. Very physical match. Howe cautioned for a quick start. Howe, gets another TD.....WINS THE BRACKET!!!!

Atta boy, Juggernaut...One more to go. Great job

That a boy Howe!!! Let's go beat Burroughs!!!!

Idk if everybody knows this or not I just found out. But yeah if Howe wins tonight he will have to wrestle in an upcoming international competition & place higher then Burroughs so essentially Howe has to beat Burroughs on 2 separate occasions to represent team USA in London!

That kinda sucks  :-\

Idk if everybody knows this or not I just found out. But yeah if Howe wins tonight he will have to wrestle in an upcoming international competition & place higher then Burroughs so essentially Howe has to beat Burroughs on 2 separate occasions to represent team USA in London!

That kinda sucks  :-\

I wasn't sure if that would be the senerio being farely close to the Olympics.  I would assume this must be a smaller event occurring  soon, which could mean a JB vs Howe's final.  This was the same situation which occured with Humphreys last year due to Bunch winning a major international event (Medved).  The logic is to ensure we have the top guy for the spot.  But, it does make it a tough road to travel.

I wasn't sure if that would be the senerio being farely close to the Olympics.  I would assume this must be a smaller event occurring  soon, which could mean a JB vs Howe's final.  This was the same situation which occured with Humphreys last year due to Bunch winning a major international event (Medved).  The logic is to ensure we have the top guy for the spot.  But, it does make it a tough road to travel.

Yeah I read an article on usawrestling, but it would be one of the few Olympic qualifier events overseas so no walk in the park. I understand wanting best but tough road indeed, id say beating Burroughs twice is the roughest road at any weight for Team USA

Oliver is competing at 145.5.

You're correct about the scenario Howe will face if he beats Burroughs, but I guess I would just say that Howe will be wrestling the best he's ever wrestled if he can beat Burroughs tonight, which would  bode well for him in an upcoming tourney. The way he controlled his opponents was incredibly impressive.

A few observations:

I agree completely with Joe Caprino regarding how good the draw Angel got for tomorrow's action. He avoids Cejudo, Blanc and Simmons on his side of the bracket. That is huge. If it's ever gonna be his time, this might be it.

Holm and Betts really getting after it. Betts wins round one, but the Askren look-alike Holm is right there with him.

Varner and Rowlands up now and it's a contrast of body types. Varner is an absolute tank, seeming to be as thick and wide as he is tall. Rowlands is long and tall and almost thin in comparison with Varner. No score in regulation. Rowlands wins the ball draw. Should be interesting.....AAAAANNNNNDDD, he gets it. Rowlands gets the push out and wins the period. Varner, the world medalist, trails....

Scott and Stieber are up for Round 2. Can stieber make a better showing here? He's had a phenomenal day.

Rowlands deep on a single, Varner sits on him until stalemate called. A Rowlands win here would really put the pressure on Varner. I think Rowlands is in the same position that Howe is. I think he would have to beat Varner here and then place higher than him in an upcoming tournament. Rowlands nearly gets a TD on a single with seconds left, Varner stomps his massive tree trunk leg and fights it off and appears to have executed a TD of his own. Judges are reviewing Rowlands' challenge. If the score remains, they will be tied heading to a third period. Score is upheld, Varner wins period. Third and final period of Round 1 up now.

Scott really having his way with Stieber. Maybe it's his new beard, I'm not sure. Scott wins first period with a TD and exposure. Stieber up 1-0 in second period, 10 secs left....Steiber holds on and ties it up. If Scott wins this third period, he wins the tournament and will face Bunch and/or Hump in the upcoming months.

Varner sneaks in a last second TD to win third period 1-0. Wins Round 1.

Stieber and Scott scoreless with 20 secs left in period. Stieber needs a TD to extend his day. Doesn't want to rely on ball drop. Oh well, it's on the ball grab, and it's red (Stieber). Stieber needs to get this takedown or Scott wins the whole she-bang. Whistle blows, Scott fights it off and they are neutral! Outstanding job by Scott, follows it up with a takedown, wins the period 2-0. He now has won the OTTs and awaits Bunch and Hump. He looked really, really good today.

Byers and Andrus up now. The MSU product Andrus has had a really impressive day, but Byers is the man until proven otherwise. TD by Byers, leads 1-0. Andrus really trying to get physical, basically slapping Byers in the face and head. Warned by the ref. Byers wins first period. Byers with a pushout a minute into 2nd period. Leads Andrus 1-0. Andrus just seems to have no real feel for how to  score on Byers. He really hasn't even come close at this point. Byers holds him at bay and wins the period again. Byers wins Round 1 of the challenge and it doesn't look especially good for Andrus for Round 2

Campbell and Maroulis up for Round 2. Campbell won Round 1, so Maroulis has to have this or Campbell will officially be the first member of the Olympic Team 2012.

No score through 1 minute. Campbell using a lot of lateral movement, Maroulis not chasing her. Period ends with no score. Ball drop time. Campbell's ball is drawn, she gets the leg and the takedown. She's one period away from making the Olympic Team. Maroulis needs to solve the Campbell mystery immediately.

Period 2 goes to Maroulis with a pushout. On to Period 3....

Maroulis much more active this period, at least so far. one minute in and no score. Campbell gets  a TD with 25 secs left, probably clinched it for her.....Maroulis trying, but no cigar....>Campbell makes the Olympics and she's bawling like a kid on the mat. Don't blame her one bit. What a day she had--wins the challenge in convincing fashion and then beats the #1 ranked wrestler in the country in straight rounds. She might be a medal threat in London

Lots of interesting matchups tomorrow.  Hasseman has Quinten Wright first round , that should be fun. Jordan Oliver bumped up a weight has Metcalf first round, and I'm sure Metcalf's size advantage should come into play but Oliver's quickness could present a bad match for Metcalf.

Man, Wright is pretty beastly at freestyle. I know he beat Howe several years ago in FS. Hasseman, in my opinion can beat anyone in the bracket with just one exception. I don't see him beating Herbert. Anything is possible, I suppose.

I like Angel's chances much, much better.

The pace of matches has greatly slowed down as they try accomodate NBC's TV broadcast.

Lester and Schlatter up now. Lester will clinch his first Olympic spot with a win this Round. Scoreless. They go to par terre. Schlatter down this round. Lester looks for the gut.. Schlatter defending nicely. Absolutely beautiful roll through by Lester with less than 5 seconds left. One of the best moves all day. Lester wins period 1. Schlatter is in trouble

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.