Amount of Wrestling lost on the edge..

OTMF74

It would be interesting to hear some opinions about the amount of wrestling that's lost on the edge of the mat.  I saw a lot of good takedowns this weekend where wrestlers dragged there toes/had a leg in the air/had a turn locked up(etc) but the action was stopped or called out of bounds.  I personally like the college rule where you just need one body part in.  It creats more action on the edge and allows more points to be awarded on the ENTIRE mat surface.  Any luck this rule might change in the future?

I believe the reason for not having this rule in high school is because there is less room out of bounds in high school than there is in college. Plus, some gyms in high school are small, and the mats run up close to the walls--this is especially true in tourneys when there are multiple mats on the floor. So I think safety issues are what is going to keep this rule from being implemented in high school. I agree that ideally we would have the college rule though.

There are some kids that are outstanding edge of the mat wrestlers and use it as a strategy. I have nothing to back this up but it SEEMS like to me I see a lot of older wrestlers win matches against underclassmen just on mat time alone and knowing where they are on the mat. I agree we lose a lot of points out there but there is something to be said about the guys who use it so well. It's really an art form at times.

Don't know what the big deal it.  This is the same as asking "What if football fields were wider?" or  "What if the foul ball posts were wider?"  The rule is there, wrestlers follow the rule.  There should be any complaining about "What if"  people know the out out of bounds is there so make sure you are inside the circle. Simple enough.

Don't know what the big deal it.  This is the same as asking "What if football fields were wider?" or  "What if the foul ball posts were wider?"   The rule is there, wrestlers follow the rule.  There should be any complaining about "What if"  people know the out out of bounds is there so make sure you are inside the circle. Simple enough.

but they did change the football out of bounds rule. They took away the "force out" rule and now the player must land in bounds.  they changed the rule on possession when landing out of bounds.    so it seems as if rules do change

Don't know what the big deal it.  This is the same as asking "What if football fields were wider?" or  "What if the foul ball posts were wider?"  The rule is there, wrestlers follow the rule.  There should be any complaining about "What if"  people know the out out of bounds is there so make sure you are inside the circle. Simple enough.

My point is if the rule was used like it is in college there would be MORE points being scored, MORE action continuing throughout the match, and less time stopped to go back to the center.  I can see why some people would use the explanation for safety(understandable, somewhat) but honestly what might be a factor (and you see it now in matches) is I'm not sure if some refs feel comfortable enough making the correct call on the edge, so they anticipate the action on the edge and stop it before it can really go out of bounds. 

but they did change the football out of bounds rule. They took away the "force out" rule and now the player must land in bounds.  they changed the rule on possession when landing out of bounds.    so it seems as if rules do change

They changed it so players have to be in bounds.  They restricted the out of bounds.  There is less aciton "on the edge" in football because of the new rule. 

They changed it so players have to be in bounds.  They restricted the out of bounds.  There is less aciton "on the edge" in football because of the new rule. 

but point was they saw an issue and changed the rule.... 

Not enough room is not a good excuse if you would of seen how close the walls were at the Regionals in Cumberland,KY last weekend it would change your mind. Not only does it make more exciting wrestling but it speeds up the matches also alot less going out of bounds.

Not enough room is not a good excuse if you would of seen how close the walls were at the Regionals in Cumberland,KY last weekend it would change your mind. Not only does it make more exciting wrestling but it speeds up the matches also alot less going out of bounds.

Thank You!  It honestly makes the wrestling that more exciting, think about it .....MORE ACTION= MORE EXCITEMENT, unless its just to fish flopping around lol...  ;D

The rule book states that you will make every effort to remain inbounds, and if a wrestler goes out of bounds intentionally to avoid wrestling or being scored on fleeing the mat shall be called.

They start in the middle are to make every effort to remain in bounds during the action of wrestling. Now when the wrestlers get to the edge, the official has to ask himself hwo we got there.

If the action took them there, that isn't a problem, but more times than not we get to the edge because one or both wrestlers use it as a safety net to bail out if they get in trouble.

It has been said if the official allows the wrestlers to work the edge, he is going to have more tuff calls and you people will be on here and complain that to much fleeing is called or not enough is called.

To much stalling is called or not enough is called, but I guess that is the nature of the beast.

If the official doesn't call stalling, or fleeing the mat he is telling him self I don't want to determine the out come of the match. Well if you allow a wrestler to flee to avoid being scored on, you just decided the out come by allowing one wrestler to run dive or take his opponent out of bounds.

If you allow a wrestler to back out, block off and do nothing offensively, and don't call any thing, you just allowed that wrestler to win by not pressing the issue.

Take stalling and fleeing out so the official doesn't have to call it and then you can set in the stands and watch paint dry, or put the zone rule into High School wresting and penalize the wrestler that steps into the zone area. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.