Girl qualifies - Good or Bad?

wildcatcountry97

You ppl make it sound like the 50's on this board. 

I love this particular argument.  Can someone please tell me what, in the name of all things holy and profane, this has to do with anything?  The 50's? 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a grandson who would like to play volleyball can he particapate in the state of indiana??????????

Let us be fair girls can wrestle can boys play on hte volleyball team?????? ;D ;D ;D

He can in CA, not any kids fault...it's the adults.  If enough boys want to play volleyball, they would have boys volleyball.  Enough girls wanted to wrestle in CA, they now have girls wrestling.  If you want to be trite to make a point, you gotta do better.  ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o ::) ::) ::)

DITTO.  When will the first male athlete try out for girls Softball, Volleyball or Gymnastics....... 

Right after they eliminate baseball, football and ...oh wait they DO have male gymnastics!!  (and don't give me that "not at my school" crap, didn't seem to stop lacrosse from growing!)

I love this particular argument.  Can someone please tell me what, in the name of all things holy and profane, this has to do with anything?  The 50's?   

I can't resist....

Here in CA we heard of and learned about Kayla Miracle today.  As much as I could write thousands of words about class wrestling, girls wrestling, women's rights, boy's embarrassment, chauvinist refs,etc. it won't change Sarto (or some others) minds.  By page 1 this discussion had deteriorated to bristling and posturing from most.  That said, I will share the conclusion of a days worth of conversation in the bleachers during wrestling here....

No man exists at 112lbs.  The fact that we have a weight class that low slaps in the face of any responsible weight mgmt. program and was created for the pre-pubescent underclassmen anyway.  The fact that women, who mature faster and are generally smaller, can put in the work and succeed at it, should be no surprise.  The best and strongest women in sports may be gymnast who frequently way less than 100lbs.  It's not viewed as a "weak spot" in IN wrestling, it's viewed as exposure of a sport that fails to acknowledge that in their effort to provide fair and equal access they have done just that.  They just didn't count on one of the best <120lb. athletes being a girl.  DUH!

;D

I can't resist....

Here in CA we heard of and learned about Kayla Miracle today.  As much as I could write thousands of words about class wrestling, girls wrestling, women's rights, boy's embarrassment, chauvinist refs,etc. it won't change Sarto (or some others) minds.  By page 1 this discussion had deteriorated to bristling and posturing from most.  That said, I will share the conclusion of a days worth of conversation in the bleachers during wrestling here....

No man exists at 112lbs.  The fact that we have a weight class that low slaps in the face of any responsible weight mgmt. program and was created for the pre-pubescent underclassmen anyway.  The fact that women, who mature faster and are generally smaller, can put in the work and succeed at it, should be no surprise.  The best and strongest women in sports may be gymnast who frequently way less than 100lbs.  It's not viewed as a "weak spot" in IN wrestling, it's viewed as exposure of a sport that fails to acknowledge that in their effort to provide fair and equal access they have done just that.  They just didn't count on one of the best <120lb. athletes being a girl.  DUH!

;D

I knew youd go there.  You had to rip on lightweights and how weak  they are.  So you have tainted a female qualifying for state because she did so at a "weak" weight where only prepubescent boys wrestle.  Nice job bud.  You cant have it both ways.  You cant, out of one side of your mouth, say, "yahoo, a female qualified for state!" and then out of the other side of your mouth say "lightweights suck."

Right after they eliminate baseball, football and ...oh wait they DO have male gymnastics!!  (and don't give me that "not at my school" crap, didn't seem to stop lacrosse from growing!)

Nope, wrong again awood1.  No IHSAA sanctioned gymnastics for the boys, only the girls.  Same thing for Volleyball and Softball.  However, as we already know, the girls can try out for and are allowed to participate on the FOOTBALL and the WRESTLING squad.  Fair is fair, right?

I knew youd go there.  You had to rip on lightweights and how weak  they are.  So you have tainted a female qualifying for state because she did so at a "weak" weight where only prepubescent boys wrestle.  Nice job bud.  You cant have it both ways.   You cant, out of one side of your mouth, say, "yahoo, a female qualified for state!" and then out of the other side of your mouth say "lightweights suck."

Wrong and wrong again.  Never said that she or the weight class were weak.  Simply point out the fact that it should not come as a surprise to anyone that one of the best ATHLETES in the state <120lbs is a girl.  She has maximized her strength, skill and talent, just has every male competitor that she faces.  The bitter pill for you to swallow is that she IS one of the best athletes in IN <120lbs regardless of gender.

Sorry boys.

Nope, wrong again awood1.  No IHSAA sanctioned gymnastics for the boys, only the girls.  Same thing for Volleyball and Softball.  However, as we already know, the girls can try out for and are allowed to participate on the FOOTBALL and the WRESTLING squad.  Fair is fair, right?

Reading comprehension..SMH. I said, don't give me that lame "not at my school" (or IHSAA sanctioned).  If boy's have a sincere desire to compete at Volleyball, find a way and stop whining.  Go sign up for girls volleyball and softball and force the issue until you are satisfied.  That's what female wrestlers have done?  As I pointed out, lacrosse continues to thrive without support of most schools and the IHSAA.  Your right, fair is fair and I would support any boy that pushed the issue with volleyball.

Softball is a differant story.  Despite the desperate attempts to call men's softball competetive, any man playing softball started by playing baseball and settled for the watered down recreational opportinity softball offered after their dream of making it to the big leagues died.

Wrong and wrong again.  Never said that she or the weight class were weak.  Simply point out the fact that it should not come as a surprise to anyone that one of the best ATHLETES in the state <120lbs is a girl.  She has maximized her strength, skill and talent, just has every male competitor that she faces.  The bitter pill for you to swallow is that she IS one of the best athletes in IN <120lbs regardless of gender.

Sorry boys.

Sorry son, but you're the one who's wrong.  You indeed bad mouthed 106 therefore you minimized a females accomplishment.  When you complain that the light weights, below 120, are filled with prepubescent boys, that is ripping 106.  Understanding what you yourself post snould be and easier skill to master than someone else deciphering you mindless ramblings.  Therefore, come back on here, try and defend yourself but sleep well knowing you are wrong.  As the.kids say: LMAO.

Sorry son, but you're the one who's wrong.  You indeed bad mouthed 106 therefore you minimized a females accomplishment.  When you complain that the light weights, below 120, are filled with prepubescent boys, that is ripping 106.  Understanding what you yourself post snould be and easier skill to master than someone else deciphering you mindless ramblings.  Therefore, come back on here, try and defend yourself but sleep well knowing you are wrong.  As the.kids say: LMAO.

Sorry the written word is difficult for you to decipher.  I will try to keep it simple.  For you to keep insisting that I called a weight "weak" makes it obvious that reading comprehension never was a strength for you.

79-10 is the record of an outstanding athlete. (<--that's a PERIOD!!)

How's that?

Wrong and wrong again.  Never said that she or the weight class were weak.  Simply point out the fact that it should not come as a surprise to anyone that one of the best ATHLETES in the state <120lbs is a girl.  She has maximized her strength, skill and talent, just has every male competitor that she faces.  The bitter pill for you to swallow is that she IS one of the best athletes in IN <120lbs regardless of gender.

Sorry boys.

Wait, What?? Who's talking about ATHLETES?? This is wrestling, a sport that doesn't nessesarily require great athletisism to achieve great success. That's doesn't mean that there aren't great athletes participating. Kayla did IMO show that she might have been properly ranked at #20 this year, but to say that makes her one of the best athletes in the state under <120# is pretty rediculous and doesn't take into account athletes from any other sport. Nothing to be sorry for my man, other than your own pointed arrogance and sarcasim in referance to atheletics in IN. It would seem you feel it nessary to discount athletics here. Kinda pathetic. But again, no problem. I'll just consider the source and get a laugh out of it. ;D ;D.

This is wrestling, a sport that doesn't nessesarily require great athletisism to achieve .

There it is, the ignorance that ignores reality.  She IS one of the top athletes <120lbs regardless of gender.  I am not ignoring any other sport.  Show me the state qualifiers in any athletic endeavor that are <120lbs.  It's obvious that there are none in football and basketball and you will be hard pressed to find any golfers, swimmers, track athletes that are that size.  If you put every athlete in IN <120lbs in a room how could she NOT be considered one of the best?

There it is, the ignorance that ignores reality.  She IS one of the top athletes <120lbs regardless of gender.  I am not ignoring any other sport.  Show me the state qualifiers in any athletic endeavor that are <120lbs.  It's obvious that there are none in football and basketball and you will be hard pressed to find any golfers, swimmers, track athletes that are that size.  If you put every athlete in IN <120lbs in a room how could she NOT be considered one of the best?

Interesting proposition. Maybe a "combine" to determine athletic ability. Kayla is an outstanding female wrestler. She's proven that on the national level. But I can't really speak for her 40 yd dash or her vertical or long jump ability in order to determine her athleticism. It's really pretty simple. Her ability to out wrestle someone doesn?t make her a better athlete. It makes her a better wrestler. Let's see if we can focus now.

Although I'm one that doesn't approve of women wrestling men, at the same time I don't want to discount what Kayla has done or continues to do in this sport. She has shown all the great individual qualities that a wrestler needs to succeed.

I'm not really sure exactly what point awood1 is trying to make. So what is your point?

Sorry the written word is difficult for you to decipher.  I will try to keep it simple.  For you to keep insisting that I called a weight "weak" makes it obvious that reading comprehension never was a strength for you.

79-10 is the record of an outstanding athlete. (<--that's a PERIOD!!)

How's that?

Again, as the kids say: LMAO

Interesting proposition. Maybe a "combine" to determine athletic ability. Kayla is an outstanding female wrestler. She's proven that on the national level. But I can't really speak for her 40 yd dash or her vertical or long jump ability in order to determine her athleticism. It's really pretty simple. Her ability to out wrestle someone doesn?t make her a better athlete. It makes her a better wrestler. Let's see if we can focus now.

Good redirect back to the original question...good or bad?  A few posts earlier coverage in the Indy Star was questioned.  From my POV, every kid that circled the mats on Friday night is to be admired and celebrated.  They all have done work and made sacrifices that few of their peers can comprehend.  The fact that only 1 appeared in the newspaper is a shame but the real question is, "How many photographs from Friday night appeared in the Indy Star previously?"

My take would be that if it was less than 12, it's good for wrestling.  Hoping next year it's 30 photos covering 50 kids?  (yup, I am greedy and want wrestling to grow). :-)

Reading comprehension..SMH. I said, don't give me that lame "not at my school" (or IHSAA sanctioned).  If boy's have a sincere desire to compete at Volleyball, find a way and stop whining.  Go sign up for girls volleyball and softball and force the issue until you are satisfied.  That's what female wrestlers have done?  As I pointed out, lacrosse continues to thrive without support of most schools and the IHSAA.  Your right, fair is fair and I would support any boy that pushed the issue with volleyball.

Softball is a differant story.  Despite the desperate attempts to call men's softball competetive, any man playing softball started by playing baseball and settled for the watered down recreational opportinity softball offered after their dream of making it to the big leagues died.

I read what you said originally and nothing was there about "(or IHSAA sanctioned)" until now.  I also really don't care about lacrosse as I'm comparing girls and boys sporting events governed by the State of Indiana High School Athletic Association.  In regard to baseball and softball, girls are allowed to compete with boys in Baseball starting at "T-Ball" level.  You can define men's softball any way you want but you are again wrong if you define it as not being competetive.

I read what you said originally and nothing was there about "(or IHSAA sanctioned)" until now.  I also really don't care about lacrosse as I'm comparing girls and boys sporting events governed by the State of Indiana High School Athletic Association.  In regard to baseball and softball, girls are allowed to compete with boys in Baseball starting at "T-Ball" level.  You can define men's softball any way you want but you are again wrong if you define it as not being competetive.

You are correct and I apologize more not being clear(er) on the first post.  (fat fingers, tiny keyboard, slow typing = minimal clarity). The point in mentioning lacrosse is to point out that they (as girls in wrestling have done) was focused on doing what they could within the world they live in.  People whining about what the IHSAA does or doesn't do or allow is the easy way out.  Stop cursing the darkness and turn on a light!  When people draw the "boys can't play volleyball and that's not fair" I want to puke.  As soon as a guy insists on fair and equal opportunities to play volleyball, I am right behind him!

Where would this discussion be now if no girls were wrestling, but the board was full of girls whining about the fact that there was no girls wrestling?  Sad part is that in this case it is the female wrestlers that "manned up" and forced the issue for what they want....an opportunity to wrestle.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/article.aspx?articleid=80163fdd-76c7-4a7e-9bc9-243b6f93aca5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.